Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What is the lowest temperature you have successfully flown in?

What is the lowest temperature you have flown the Inspire 1?

• Total voters
It is a WKM that I got when they first came out. WAY before Naza. I was flying Mikrokopter on my large machines then but wanted to test the WKM. Henece the 450. Its stayed on there to this day and was always used as a test machine for FW. All my commercial machines fly with WKM.

Yeah My first wkm was installed on a f550. This is how the packaged it. You could get a free 550 frame with your order of a wkm. I think this was 2011?

Very nice and professional footage ; only what I would dispute is that -45C looks bit different ( at least here in Canada)
Yes I agree. None of the footage I saw was in -45c. It may have been occasional wind chill up to -45 but that is much different than actually below -40. in -40 you cannot have exposed skin.

I had to buy the grabber mycoal heat packs for inside of gloves to place behind my iPhone 6s+ While flying, because around 20 degrees F iphones randomly shut off when your inspire is far away, over a lake in northern Minnesota :) incredibly strange some of the larger lakes were still open in December, even at those temps. My inspire held up its end of things just fine. Nothing fancy in the pic, just a pic of my friends land covered in snow. Flew 5 mins in 2 degrees F the same week.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 17
I did have my props ice up once when it was about 20 degrees F. It started to get foggy and the mist instantly turned to ice on the props and body. I got a max repms reached warning when just hovering and landed to investigate and discovered all of the prop leading edges had heavy ice build up.

I'm in south TX so no need for warmers, although I thought for a quick heater is to get 2 small bags of pinto beans and heating them in the microwave for a min. and wrapping the works in a towel. It's cheap, may help someone if you need a quick fix.

Reactions: eldorado
I did have my props ice up once when it was about 20 degrees F. It started to get foggy and the mist instantly turned to ice on the props and body. I got a max repms reached warning when just hovering and landed to investigate and discovered all of the prop leading edges had heavy ice build up.
Yup, icing of the props can occur above freezing point as well as below. This is why it is so important to not only take note of the ambient temperature but dew point as well.
As you have found out, when there is fog (or dew point close to saturation) the pressure drop between the upper and lower surfaces of the prop blades causes a lowering in temperature and ice forms !

Reactions: ted35
Hey, what's up with you southern boys and all the snow and cold?

Brian
Lol my inspire has seen 95 degrees here in South Florida, and over Christmas almost 100 degrees colder in my home state of Minnesota. It probably is confused most of the time as to why I live in a ridiculously hot place, and travel to a ridiculously cold one in the winter. Never had ice on my blades though. Just dead bug juice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was flying in Japn yesterday in about 20f when my battery suddenly dropped from 50% to 5 and my inspire just started slowly descending. Thankfully it was close by bug u almost hit a roof. Scariest moment yet with my inspire.

Yup, icing of the props can occur above freezing point as well as below. This is why it is so important to not only take note of the ambient temperature but dew point as well.
As you have found out, when there is fog (or dew point close to saturation) the pressure drop between the upper and lower surfaces of the prop blades causes a lowering in temperature and ice forms !
Rub your props with a cut spud!

Water repellent helps to keep props from icing up. Just something I did last winter

What u using and have u tested it long term on the DJI Props?
D
Last winter and I still have my Og props. So no problems. I haven't been doing much flying this winter.
Same repellent that I use on my winter coats. Also it keeps the snow and ice from building up on the landing gear. Last winter tested my bird in extreme cold and heavy snow, noticed the props would by iced up. So I start using repellent

Reactions: Droider

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin