Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What is wrong with my radio signal on I2?

Reaction score
Website
www.utcinema.com
I did fly in 2 different locations and the signal was very poor all the time.
What can be wrong?
bennett_field.jpg

Last edited:
Did you verify your Image Transmission Settings are set to Auto versus Custom? Those settings are in the HD menu. I have had them change from auto to custom without any input on my end.

Did you verify your Image Transmission Settings are set to Auto versus Custom? Those settings are in the HD menu. I have had them change from auto to custom without any input on my end.
I just check it. It was in auto mode.
Also I did firmware downgrade for remote to 01.00.0110 version, but I didn't have time to test it after that.

Reactions: Sligeach
Next time you fly, you might try going into that section of the menus and selecting a custom channel to see if that works any better. After checking it, you'll probably want to go back to Auto, but just changing the settings might get it back on track if it's doing something wrong behind the scenes. If you're just flying in a very RF-saturated location, you should also see that indicated by the lines shown for each channel.

Also, make sure you're on 4.2GHz if you're flying far...nearby you might also try 5.8GHz if those channels are less busy in your area, but it doesn't have the range 4.2 does.

Reactions: RichieHollis
I did a test yesterday. Firmware downgrade didn't help.
The signal switched by itself in auto mode to 2.4Hz. I checked channel that it was working on, and it was jumping green. I switched to manual and selected different channel and the result was the same.
I didn't fly far and didn't loose the signal, but on other shoot I was about 1km away and I lost a signal completely. I had to walk towards the drone to get the the signal. I'm afraid if this would happen above the water or a cliff...

I did a test yesterday. Firmware downgrade didn't help.
The signal switched by itself in auto mode to 2.4Hz. I checked channel that it was working on, and it was jumping green. I switched to manual and selected different channel and the result was the same.
I didn't fly far and didn't loose the signal, but on other shoot I was about 1km away and I lost a signal completely. I had to walk towards the drone to get the the signal. I'm afraid if this would happen above the water or a cliff...

Do you have someone that will loan you a remote controller to try to eliminate that as a problem?

If you lose connection above water, etc. it should return to home just like it does with any signal loss after a few seconds. As long as the path back is clear, I wouldn't worry *too* much about that. Flying 1km away though, especially if there's other 2.4Ghz traffic in the area, does risk disconnection problems.

If there are any obstructions (building, trees, hill, etc.) between you and the drone, that can easily disconnect you. The more distance it gets from you, the more height helps keep a strong signal. Proper antenna adjustment helps too.

Also, while the maximum range is much greater than 1km, it is probably only achievable under ideal circumstances. Under normal to difficult circumstances it can be significantly lower.

If you lose connection above water, etc. it should return to home just like it does with any signal loss after a few seconds. As long as the path back is clear, I wouldn't worry *too* much about that. Flying 1km away though, especially if there's other 2.4Ghz traffic in the area, does risk disconnection problems.

If there are any obstructions (building, trees, hill, etc.) between you and the drone, that can easily disconnect you. The more distance it gets from you, the more height helps keep a strong signal. Proper antenna adjustment helps too.

Also, while the maximum range is much greater than 1km, it is probably only achievable under ideal circumstances. Under normal to difficult circumstances it can be significantly lower.
But the drone was hovering when it lost signal and didn't fly back after few seconds.
The area where I lost signal is next to the water with trees on the shore. I was flying close to the shore chasing a car.

The signal got much stronger when I switched from Samsung Tab Pro on main controller to ipad mini 3. I tested it at the same location and the trajectory was green all the time. I don't really understand how tablet can affect the signal quality... Probably I have to purchase another ipad mini or a new samsung galaxy s.
Did anyone tested crystalsky with a tablet on slave remote? Does it work this way?

The tablet shouldn't affect the signal quality. But, there are two different signal qualities... the Command & Control (C2) signal and the video downlink signal - those are the two signal strength bar displays at the top of the DJI Go flight screen. Loss of the video downlink doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose the C2 link, although you did on that occasion. I'm not 100% sure which Airdata uses for that "signal" screen, it could be the less resilient video link - and that's the one you can switch between 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz, not the C2 one. Did you get picture break-up or interference visible on the tablet before you disconnected completely?

BTW, did you also change the usb-tablet connection cable when you switched... you might want to check out the cable you use for connecting the Samsung tablet to the controller, it could have an intermittent connection. Also make sure you route the lead away from the antenna and don't touch them.

As to hovering over water, it sounds like you simply had the RTH option set to hover on signal loss (thankfully it wasn't set to land!). You need to double check that your return to home settings are set to return to the home point on signal loss. And you need to check the settings if you swap between tablets to - the settings are per tablet, not per aircraft.

The video feed was fine until I lost the signal completely.
I was looking for RTH option and couldn't find it in the menu. Could you specify where it is exactly.
Here is my Airdata from my usual testing location. The signal was great all the time with ipad mini 3 tablet on master remote. This is exactly the same location from my first post when I used Samsung tab pro on master remote.
Next time I'll try Samsung tab with different cable.
bennett_field_ipad.jpg

I assume you have your tablets in airplane mode when flying yes? (WiFi turned off).

I seem to be Having the same issue with my Inspire 2 after the Firmware upgrade , weak and unstable on 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz . Never before an issue as I am flying from same exact location.
all Wifi and cell phone are turned off , as noted no changes in improving the signal.

No way to roll back firmware on the Assistance 2 software?

Please help... as my Inspire 2 is grounded

I seem to be Having the same issue with my Inspire 2 after the Firmware upgrade , weak and unstable on 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz . Never before an issue as I am flying from same exact location.
all Wifi and cell phone are turned off , as noted no changes in improving the signal.

No way to roll back firmware on the Assistance 2 software?

Please help... as my Inspire 2 is grounded
I know this is an old post but I am having the same trouble with my I2 and it is only 1/3 mile out. I have the sticks on it but going to switch back to the patch panel. But sticks should be perfect at 1/3 mile distance. This was using a Nexus 7 2013 and I normally use the Ipad Mini 4. But I have to leave wifi on to connect to my Verizon Jetpack. I am not on the latest 300 firmware (released Dec 2018).

so hoping anyone can shed some light on what might be the cause. Even with high interference, 1/3 mile should be crystal clear. I will test with ipad mini and then with patch panel and then with slave remote to make sure it is not a remote controller issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool