Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

What settings do you prefer on the control sticks?

Reaction score
Website
www.ldistudios.com
Hi all,
I'm still 'learning to fly' but one thing niggles me, and that is the standard control setup. Now i'm not an experienced flyer so i could be missing some thing here but my thoughts are thus;

Left stick up and down - fine, right stick up and down fine.
Left stick left and right - right stick left and right. Should these be reversed? Basically i assume most people spend their controlling time behind the drones? i know i do at the moment as i don't want my ugly mug in shot. With this in mind does it not make more sense to reverse the controls? creating a more intuitive 'on the fly' fly. so when i move the stick left i rotate left etc.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this and if indeed you use alternate settings.
I know i could just swap them and see and i intend to next time i get out, i'd just be interested in your thoughts on this.

all the best
chris

I'm not sure you can swap just pitch and yaw without also swapping throttle and fwd/rev pitch (Model 1or Mode 2) I could totally be wrong. I think most of us here who have been flying heli's (either single rotor or quads) for a while are just used to Mode 2, with pitch on right stick and throttle/yaw on left but really if you're just starting it's all up to your preferences.

The way it's setup in Mode 2 seems pretty intuitive to me. Once you fly it for a while, it'll become muscle memory and you won't even think about it. At least that's what's happening to me. I find that with each flight, I have to think about the flight controls less and concentrate on framing my shot along with the camera settings more.

Thanks guys. I may give mode 2 a try to see if it works better for me.
Hi mate.
If I may offer you any advice it would be to
invest in a flight simulator.
I purchased a phoenix 4 and it helped me immensely. To the point where I fly by instinct now. It's very cheap when you crash too
Good luck.

Hi mate.
I purchased a phoenix 4 and it helped me immensely. To the point where I fly by instinct now. It's very cheap when you crash too
Good luck.
That's interesting mate, How much did you pay? and where did you purchase it from?

That's interesting mate, How much did you pay? and where did you purchase it from?
I played about $200 Australian.
You can buy on ebay or your local hobby shop may stock them.
There are some quads on there that have very similar flight characteristic as the inspire. You get a transmitter with it too

Hi mate.
Good luck.
Umm, the Inspire has a flight simulator built in with accurate flight dynamics for the aircraft and adjustable conditions to fly in. You also have the added advantage of using the actual remote control for the experience so you become acclimatised to the 'feel'
Why would you waste $200 on something that is already included in your purchase? The simulator has been there from day one on iOS and is now also included on Android platform so everybody has it.
Am I missing something?

For me it's because you need the inspire powered up to run the simulation. But more importantly is the translation to a much larger learning visual. The ipad i have is simply to small to be intuitive enough for me.

For me it's because you need the inspire powered up to run the simulation. But more importantly is the translation to a much larger learning visual. The ipad i have is simply to small to be intuitive enough for me.
Fair enough - just didn't want you to waste your money - some people are unaware there is a simulator in the Inspire/App even now. :)

Reactions: crystalfat
Fair enough - just didn't want you to waste your money - some people are unaware there is a simulator in the Inspire/App even now. :)
Hi editor.
Surprised you had to ask the question.
Have you seen the product I have referred to.? You can set all the parameter's and more than the sim in the go app.
You can practice fpv as well.
Make a great training tool for anyone setting up a training facility.

Hi editor.
Surprised you had to ask the question.
Have you seen the product I have referred to.? You can set all the parameter's and more than the sim in the go app.
You can practice fpv as well.
Make a great training tool for anyone setting up a training facility.
Absolutely - I have put in many stick hours on earlier versions playing with collective pitch heli's (and crashing them!)
It's a great tool/flying aid and can help greatly with people learning nose in flying especially if you dial in a good level of gusty wind as well.
Unfortunately (as of now) the Inspire isn't a selectable model and I don't think there are any user uploaded ones either.
What the Inspire SIM does give you is a visual representation of the Inspire including the landing gear function.
I get your point though and the flying sites/graphics are great :)

Reactions: lovetofly
Absolutely - I have put in many stick hours on earlier versions playing with collective pitch heli's (and crashing them!)
It's a great tool/flying aid and can help greatly with people learning nose in flying especially if you dial in a good level of gusty wind as well.
Unfortunately (as of now) the Inspire isn't a selectable model and I don't think their are any user uploaded ones either.
What the Inspire SIM does give you is a visual representation of the Inspire including the landing gear function.
I get your point though and the flying sites/graphics are great :)
I'm looking to build a 3d model of the inspire to plug into the software. I'm sure i read this is possible. i can export the model in any format. So as long as i don't have to de-compile then all good.

Reactions: The Editor
Yep they just confirmed. I can simply create a model in Maya. Export .obj and then use the inbuilt builder software to recreate the inspire.
How do you map the flight dynamics though and presumably you would need to map that data to the model?
Mass, maximum thrust, yaw rate etc, etc?

Looks like after the model is imported you create a proxy mesh and this defines the dynamics of the model using the attributes/dynamics/references of the software.
Phoenix model flight simulation :: Guides
Simple enough to do. Wether its representative of the real world model - only time will tell but it will be fun trying it out. i'll build a scale model so i'm hoping it gets pretty close.

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin