Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

UK Whats The Point Of PFAW

Reaction score
Basicaly the title says it all.

Apart from insurance...

There is a hotel owner who has filmed his property without a PFAW and uploaded the video to his web page.

Totally against CAA Regs.

He has been reported months ago. Footage still up,no rap on knuckles etc.

Meanwhile we log flights,batteries,fully risk assess etc

Back to my original header-whats the point? If no action is taken by the CAA as every tom **** and harry cracks their own detail?

Discuss

Drives me mad. The only thing that we can do is report to the police (going in with a copy of the ANO to educate them on the law as many I doubt know it) and notify the CAA using the email address they promulgate on their website. What he has done is for 'valuable consideration' and so as you say, is illegal.

The point though is twofold I think: a) we are insured when it all goes wrong as long as we are within our PfCO & the ANO and b) the bigger companies (think public sector, offshore, BBC etc) that actually care (and where the money really is) know that they need a PfCO holder. I don't think we will ever get away from the toms, dicks and harrys but we can educate those that might employ them it's not a good idea.

Is there a specific email for reporting that anyone has used that sees action.

Or is it all just BS and nothing ever happens when someone os reported

Only point really is covering your own a*rse when something goes wrong and they decide to try and throw the book at you.

At least if you've done the training, passed the 'exam', got the insurance and can show you've done everything possible to not have the **** hit the fan, then you might stand a chance of not being fined as much... and hopefully your insewerants company will cough up too and not leave you bankrupt and homeless.

Beyond that, no, there's no point other than keeping someone in a job at the CAA :D and having less money in yer pocket Dodger. So yer might as well pick a pocket or two...

Fagan :D :D

"The CAA does not investigate complaints about drone misuse"
Get that
Does it investigate un licensed use?

Just been of phone with CAA-Got through to a line manager.

Not their job to prosecute. They are license body.

Reporting
1. Inform Police-101
2.Police investigate and contact CAA
3.CAA Confims/denies credentials -Thats their sole involvement. Example given we are like the DVLA if police are investigating illegal car use. We help police in their rinvestigations
4.Police file report to CPS(or PF in Scotland)
5.CPS/PF decide if law is broken and if to prosecute.

Does anyone know if any un licensed cowboys have been prosecuted?

Anyone reported a cowboy? If so whats the outcome?

I wonder how many of the UK police forces would be willing to put man hours and budget spend into investigating breaches? These days you are lucky to see a bobby for break in's and the like. I guess they would if there were incidents were serious enough.

One thing the PfCO does do is to give your clients the assurance that you are a professional business and take your responsibilities seriously. That's worth a lot I think.

Here's some guidance given to police officers on illegal drone usage:

http://www.npcc.police.uk/Publicati...75 15 NPCC Response Att 01 of 01 26102015.pdf

Reactions: Cornscot
Good! I'm all for hobbyists being able to enjoy the hobby, I still fly fixed wing and multi rotor aircraft as a hobby in my spare time, but it's idiots who flout safety laws who potentially get us all tarred with the same brush. If we see an serious enough incident happen here in the UK, you can guarantee much tougher regulations will follow for everyone using SUAV's, probably to the point where people will end up getting priced out of their jobs due to training costs, increased insurance premium rates etc.

Having had some thought on the matter from now on EVERY time I become aware of un licensed cowboy I will be reporting to the police and chasing up their response.

I urge you to do the same.

Sorry but it's actually not happening...referencing the subject and context of Tweakers original post. This quote is NOT for commercial use without a permit it's for flying over congested area and close to airports.

I have never heard of a prosecution for commercial use without a permit...sadly.

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Update,

Reported cowboy not long after I started this thread.

First I spoke to the CAA -who told me it was a police matter and they do not investigate

I then phoned the police and was given a incident number

I have just been phoned by a police Sgt who informed me it was a CAA matter. I relayed the above -he then told me he has investigated who was responsible for investigating ( if that makes any sense!!)

The Sgt spoke to a Police Liasion Officer with the CAA who told him it was a CAA matter and so he it wasnt his remit. He became quite abrupt and didnt want to know. I think it was dinner time!!

Any way I am now like a dog with a bone and i will drill done and hold someones feet to the fire.

So I then phoned the CAA back and was told they did not investigate and there was no means of reporting illegal drone use on the CAA website.

WHO is responsible to investigate CAA or Police ?

I urge all commercial pilots to start doing the same otherwise the next time a client asks you to fly 4.5miles FPV you tell him no. He says thats funny XYZ can do it I will give them a phone........ You have only yourselves to blame.

Right where is that bone....

The police; there is a standing agreement at Home Office level. Show this to said police Sgt....

Attachments

• 160915 MOU between DfT, CAA, HO, Police.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • 175 15 NPCC Response Att 01 of 01 26102015.pdf
    64.1 KB · Views: 10
It's clear there is zero interest in policing this.

It's no different to Part P for electricians or Gas safe to a point, These things are an insurance policy to protect you IF something happens.

Your never going to police everyone and your never going to stop people, you have to just accept that it's a coverage for you if something goes bad.

Gas Safe police that because of the massive dangers involved however Part P Domestic is not policed, the only time they will do something is if income falls off and I doubt the PFAW has done anything more than cover costs.

TBH take some advice, you guys need to stop worrying what others are doing and put that time and effort in to your business showing your customers why using a qualified pilot is the way forward, running around pointing fingers gets you no where trust m, I have seen people hunt down all the bad guys only to end up going to the wall them selves and blame them when in fact if they had just concentrated on their work it would have been fine.

Worry about what your doing and the others will sort them selves.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

The police; there is a standing agreement at Home Office level. Show this to said police Sgt....
I know the type HE has decided this is a quick mug off quoting CAA Police Liasion Officer "says"and will dig his heels in. He wont give me Police Officer Liasion contact details .....Hmmmmm
Only spoke on the phone to him but I can read him like a book. The type of police officer that thinks he is the law. Actually he enforces the law and is subject to it like everybody else. I generally nod say yes sir no sir three bags full sir to his type unfortunately if i could show him this ambiguous room for wriggle room article he would twist whats written to reinforce his inaction- it does say from quick scan CAA will investigate in his defence( from a quick scan)
Anyway rant over luckily not all police (or people) are the same.
Onwards and upwards-watch this space

It's clear there is zero interest in policing this.

It's no different to Part P for electricians or Gas safe to a point, These things are an insurance policy to protect you IF something happens.

Your never going to police everyone and your never going to stop people, you have to just accept that it's a coverage for you if something goes bad.

Gas Safe police that because of the massive dangers involved however Part P Domestic is not policed, the only time they will do something is if income falls off and I doubt the PFAW has done anything more than cover costs.

TBH take some advice, you guys need to stop worrying what others are doing and put that time and effort in to your business showing your customers why using a qualified pilot is the way forward, running around pointing fingers gets you no where trust m, I have seen people hunt down all the bad guys only to end up going to the wall them selves and blame them when in fact if they had just concentrated on their work it would have been fine.

Worry about what your doing and the others will sort them selves.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

I think you are wrong on so many levels but thats just me. We nail to nail done who is duty bound to investigate. Once thats done chase them up on their investigations. If unlicenced work has undertaken over to the XYZ responsible to prosecute.

"put that time and effort in to your business showing your customers why using a qualified pilot is the way forward" thats the point if its a mickey mouse qual who needs to renew. If taxis where not regulated and ENFORCED how many would get the licence etc

In fact if Drs where not regulated,pilots,dentists,etc etc and so on

"Worry about what your doing and the others will sort them selves" what does that mean? Biggest cop out. You dont hold a PFAW do you?

Hunt down bad guys is simple if they THINK they will get caught. You need to know WHO to report it to in th efirst place and in the second place THEY need to know its their job to investigate- Simple.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44