Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Where to fly anymore.

Reaction score
I live in California Woodland Hills specifically. We cannot fly in parks, government lands of any kind and our local flying field no longer allows flying AP. So where does one go to fly their Inspires or Phantoms around here or anywhere in California for that matter.?

Thanks for the info I hope you have some good news.

Ken.

Reactions: Advexure
I like to take a ride on a country rd and let the birds fly the P2 is easier than the I1 but tomorrow I will tell u ;) ! take it to the Pacific ,

I live in California Woodland Hills specifically. We cannot fly in parks, government lands of any kind and our local flying field no longer allows flying AP. So where does one go to fly their Inspires or Phantoms around here or anywhere in California for that matter.?

Ken.

Do you have a link to the rules that say you can not fly on government lands of any kind? If so, hoe do you know what lands are the governments and what are not? Presumably 'government' here is limited to state government.

Brian

Ken.

If I still lived in So. Oregon, I'd be burning through more than a few batteries on National Forest land per this doc:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3845323.pdf
Print it and carry it.

Check the individual forest district websites as posted by PB30X above for any specifics. I did a quick check on some places I know in Cali and Orygun. Found nothing that said we couldn't fly except for the restrictions around forest fires.
Follow the rules and have a good time! I'm envious knowing the opportunities.

Look into flying on BLM lands as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: GizaDog
If I still lived in So. Oregon, I'd be burning through more than a few batteries on National Forest land per this doc:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3845323.pdf
Print it and carry it.

Check the individual forest district websites as posted by PB30X above for any specifics. I did a quick check on some places I know in Cali and Orygun. Found nothing that said we couldn't fly except for the restrictions around forest fires.
Follow the rules and have a good time! I'm envious knowing the opportunities.

Look into flying on BLM lands as well.

I live in southern Oregon, so I do take advantage of unpopulated, undeveloped and remote areas. That USDA document has contradictory information in it. Fortunately the document is primarily "tips" for UAS operators.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3845323.pd

NOTICE: In the United States ALL NATIONAL PARKS AND FORESTS ARE NO FLY ZONES. National Parks were the first to set these rules, and they'll fine you (if they catch you). The same laws make flying over ANY Federally-controlled parks, reserves and monuments ILLEGAL! That's U.S. law folks. Yeah, is sucks! And why? Because of a few fools who made everyone care about plastic toy multi-rotors buzzing around.

State parks are all fair game, but the BLM Lands are another story. Technically (I believe, but don't quote me) you'd be fine...and who is going to be hanging out to 'catch' you anyway. However, the BLM are a bunch of old title-touting geologist/archaeolgist/anthropologist politicians who all benefit when they make some sort of stink. NO ONE wants to take responsibility for anything that will l not benefit their personal careers in govt., so don't count on these people being open-minded. If you fly over BLM land, PLEASE...don't fly stupid! Don't ruin it for the rest of us, OK?

Technically, since almost alined in the US is owned either privately, or by the Federal Government, we only have a few places we can fly without intervention...VERY few. This means, fly safely, quietly, and responsibly.

ALL aerial camera systems are potentially strategic weapons. This paranoid government is highly sensitive to anyone who might gain a technological advantage over their own tools of war, so why do you THINK there is so much federal interest in where and how we fly? It's not really about crashing commercial aircraft...is it? Be smart.

This forum represents the BEST of freelance UAS operators, so it will likely Not be one of us who causes someone to enact even more laws. However, we should also take time to educate those who listen to propaganda, on the basic facts. The first thing I do, when someone stops to chat while I am flying, is to correct their (inevitable) use of the word "Drone." I tell them this is media hype/government propaganda. These are multi-rotor plastic helicopters...toys with cameras, not military weapons. THOSE "people-killing weapons platforms, paid for by TAX DOLLARS...those are "DRONES."

They usually walk away nodding their heads, but at some point they might actually connect few neurons–via a new dendritic branch–and realize that these are no threat, and are not being used to peek over their fence at their wife in the bathtub! They'll never care about total surveillance by their own government, but you looking over the fence, scares them. Go figure?

However, ONE FOOL can make all of our good work and public affairs work pointless. So, let's hope intelligence and responsibility trumps stupid!

Ken.
I have been doing a little research... it seems that it is ok to fly on BLM land as long as you are not in or over a wilderness area. They can be found on "WILDERNESS.NET". I think you will find that there are more places to fly than you thought.
Of course National Parks are a NO NO. And the 5 mile limit applies to small uncontrolled airports, heliports, and certainly large airports.Also read the limitations you agreed to before you go aloft. IE: Line of site, 400ft altitude max, away from groups of people and events, etc.
This is what I believe I have found, so please verify before you fly. And if you find differently, please post your findings.

National parks as a general rule are off limits, BUT certain NPS lands can be opened to you if you talk to the correct person. Each park, or in my case waterway, has a manager and depending on your purpose may allow you to fly. I have been allowed to fly on more than one occasion, some of the big no nos are taking off and landing on federal land. That is something that I have to state each time I send in for permissions.

As for the five mile limit of small airports, if it an uncontrolled airport a simple call to the property manager and you are ok. I have filmed at our local airport advertising a hanger for sale without any difficulty. This is where common sense comes in to play, talk to the right people and get permission.

Last edited:

Ken.

Hi Ken - Just came across this thread, surprised I haven't seen it prior to now. Unfortunately we are awfully limited in our area. We've always done a lot of our flying down in OC or north of Malibu (typically over the ocean). When time allows we'll do a full day trip down to the Coachella Valley (absolutely love flying down there). This weekend we're going take a drive up to the Hidden Springs area (I've never been in that area in my 5 years of living in LA). From what I am aware there is nothing that prohibits the operation of sUAS in this area (correct me if I'm wrong).

If you've found other spots PM us...would love to get together and fly. We've got our regular spots which are not ideal but are always look for other spots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide