Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Where to fly in Vancouver

Very nice. Was this filmed with X5?
Can you give me a few google map locations?
I'm hoping the following are near vancouver: 0:14; 0:19; 1:40; 2:13; 2:30; 2:40; (I like water)

I like your ending with the car shot. I've done this a few times also in the vids on my page

I'm hoping the following are near vancouver: 0:14; 0:19; 1:40; 2:13; 2:30; 2:40; (I like water)

I like your ending with the car shot. I've done this a few times also in the vids on my page
Thanks! This was all shot in a P3 Pro. I want to upgrade to the X5r soon tho or an inspire 2 if that comes out within a month.
All those shots were taken during our 7 day RV trip so not sure what you would consider near vancouver?

Yes, this shot was around whistler and the clouds were super low.

I see you´ve benn to Hawaii. I´m studying on Oahu :)

Ahh, whistler. Only an hour and a half from Vancouver, but may be just outside my reach. I do see some nice locations on the way up there that may be close enough.
You did a great job get capturing and grading with the P3P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh, whistler. Only an hour and a half from Vancouver, but may be just outside my reach. I do see some nice locations on the way up there that may be close enough.
You did a great job get capturing and grading with the P3P.

Yes, the snow part is also from Whistler. I would suggest just trying to drive to right of Vancouver as far as you can go and stop at a few spots that you like as you are driving by. The landscape was always awesome no matter where we went. National Parks are off limits sadly since they are so beautiful.

Thank you! Might be a little bit too green but I was going for that since trees where dominant in this edit!

Those spots look like they could be inland near Kamloops. Just make sure you read up on transport Canada regulations for areas where you can and can't fly. Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Essentially 9km radius around airports will put the majority of the city of Vancouver out of range as you have to watch out for seaplane airports as well (both YVR and the downtown have them). The shot in the video above at 0:46 appears to be just north of Horseshoe Bay Google Maps
One spot that you may be able to fly is Spanish Banks, especially at low tide (I plan of flying there in the fall) it's just outside of the 9km radius, as long as you stay northwest of about this point: Google Maps

I would look at doing a drive north of Vancouver up towards Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton. You're likely to find water, rivers and mountains that are pretty accessible.
You could also go east of the city to Agassiz, Hope areas. There's also the Gulf Islands which are great to visit anyway. Again, just check maps for airfields and seabases.

Reactions: 2nd2non
Those spots look like they could be inland near Kamloops. Just make sure you read up on transport Canada regulations for areas where you can and can't fly. Flying your drone safely and legally - Transport Canada

Essentially 9km radius around airports will put the majority of the city of Vancouver out of range as you have to watch out for seaplane airports as well (both YVR and the downtown have them). The shot in the video above at 0:46 appears to be just north of Horseshoe Bay Google Maps
One spot that you may be able to fly is Spanish Banks, especially at low tide (I plan of flying there in the fall) it's just outside of the 9km radius, as long as you stay northwest of about this point: Google Maps

I would look at doing a drive north of Vancouver up towards Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton. You're likely to find water, rivers and mountains that are pretty accessible.
You could also go east of the city to Agassiz, Hope areas. There's also the Gulf Islands which are great to visit anyway. Again, just check maps for airfields and seabases.
Yup, you´re right about Horseshoe Bay. Pretty cool spot!

These locations look great from google maps. Any chance I can capture the Vancouver skyline from the sea if I launch from Spanish banks? Can't tell if it's too far or not

You could see it but it'll look distant. It's about 7km and at a slight angle, so the skyline won't be too impressive from there (especially with the wide lens, if you have the new zoom lens, perhaps better). Another spot I've been thinking about flying is Lighthouse Park and Pt Atkinson (on the other side of the bay from Spanish Banks).

Yes, the snow part is also from Whistler. I would suggest just trying to drive to right of Vancouver as far as you can go and stop at a few spots that you like as you are driving by. The landscape was always awesome no matter where we went. National Parks are off limits sadly since they are so beautiful.

Thank you! Might be a little bit too green but I was going for that since trees where dominant in this edit!

Yeah, National Parks are off limits, but I can't find anything precluding Provincial Parks. If you're looking for another same of locally filmed inspire footage, I came across this one on youtube last night (looks like it was all up Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton route).

Reactions: 2nd2non
Yeah, National Parks are off limits, but I can't find anything precluding Provincial Parks. If you're looking for another same of locally filmed inspire footage, I came across this one on youtube last night (looks like it was all up Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton route).
As far as I could find out back then provincial parks are off limits as well, but I could be wrong. I contacted the National Parks back then, but they couldn´t tell me about provincial parks.

Looks like I need an SFOC to fly since I'm from US. I didn't see anything that excluded tourists or hobbiest. Any idea?

Perhaps a more knowledgeable person on this forum would know, or you could call Transport Canada for clarification; however, from my reading of their websites and requirements, if you're flying for fun and the UAV is under 35kg then no SFOC is required. They don't seem to mention residency requirements but I could be wrong.

If you're flying for commercial/research use then SFOC is required unless you meet the exemption requirements. For the Inspire, as the aircraft and payload (camera) are over 2kg, the exemption requirements are here: Exemption from Paragraph 571.08(1)(b) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations - Transport Canada
All commercial/research use regardless of exemption has to notify TC here:
Getting permission to fly your drone - Transport Canada but recreational use does not as long as you're flying within the rules

I'm taking my first trip with my I1 to Canada. Where are some great places to fly and capture the beauty of the area?

Shoot me a message if you want to know some food locations and where you shouldn't fly. There a few spots that have become a problem recently because of seaplane air traffic. I am a commercial operator out of Vancouver so I can give you some good info if you need. Could also meet up and go for a flight. We fly an I1pro, I1, and P4

I looked only Also and couldn't find anything on provincial parks. Guess I'll give it a try [emoji6]

Provincial parks require permission to fly. We just did a shoot at one a few weeks ago and had to have a parks person with us during the shoot. SFOC is mandatory for any commercial work in Canada. We carry a standing certificate for BC and Alberta and can fly in restricted airspace on reletivly short notice.

I've never seen any indication that recreational users need permission to fly in Provincial parks (in BC). Do you have a reference? Of course commercial flights require permission from all property owners for take offs and landings.

I've never seen any indication that recreational users need permission to fly in Provincial parks (in BC). Do you have a reference? Of course commercial flights require permission from all property owners for take offs and landings.
I don't have anything in writing but we have flown commercially in national and provincial parks and always had very strict guidelines from parks officials.recreationally it's a lot more slack in privincial parks but always be aware that they could shut you down. As long as you are respectful of other people and the surroundings people are generally very easy going

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa