Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

where to mount a tracker

Right behind the battery compartment, rear facing. Nice flat area and probably best view of the sky other than awkwardly mounting on top of the white canopy. Other option is to Velcro to side of battery.

Will a gps tracker affect the Inspire compass at all if mounted to the back?

Hey pilots. . Does anyone have an idea where the best place to mount a gps tracker on their inspire1?

I pondered on either the just behind the battery compartment or underneath on the bottom of the battery compartment and went with the latter. My thoughts were that the tracker would be seperated farthest from the compass / electronics in the nose by placing it underneath the battery.

Call me paranoid but I have two trackers = one GPS (Trak102B) + one LOS (MarcoPolo). Figured that if my Inspire went down in deep bush, the GPS unit might not be accurate enough but will get me in the vicinity where the Marco Polo tracker could take over and locate the downed bird.
I call you smart!!
I recently lost a p2v+ and it had a tk102 on board as well as a locator 8. .
must have been a bad crash because my tk102 didn't work ..
I was about 5000 feet out when I lost signal and it never returned. ..
I wish I had a marco polo on board because I hear they have up to a 2 mile range. .
there's a small chance it was shot down..
but I'll probably never know..
always use a screen recoding device and the new trick is to have a strobe light to be used as a visual aid to find your drone if all else fails..
which in my case it did..

Last edited:
Hey KnightOwl..
I suggest putting tape around your tk102 to keep it from coming apart on a crash and also zip tie it to your rig somehow..
here's a picture of mine..
the tk102 in this picture is broken from a crash ..
I have a rf-v16 mount too that mounts on the arm..View attachment 1786 View attachment 1787

Turbo...your idea is excellent! I've been using 3M command strip to secure both units to the airframe and had realized that with a hard jolt both units will probably fly off the plane. I has hoping thought they would stay intact (though I felt the TK102 was suspect). Taping the TK102 together is an excellent way to ensure the battery stays in place and the unit remains operational?? That away we can get a fix on the general vicinity and as for the Marco Polo, I went with the pet unit because its waterproof, indestructible and provides a longer battery life so its not going to come apart during a rough landing.

Mines at the back. No issues here.
Screenshot_2015-05-19-07-45-27-1.png

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hey KnightOwl..
I suggest putting tape around your tk102 to keep it from coming apart on a crash and also zip tie it to your rig somehow..
here's a picture of mine..
the tk102 in this picture is broken from a crash ..
I have a rf-v16 mount too that mounts on the arm..View attachment 1786 View attachment 1787

Turbo....you got to tell me where you got the mounting plate that you are using on the arm from???

Thanks
KnightOwl

how large is that gps tracking device you have??
I have and use the Marco Polo for my P4 and I1V2. My first flight after receiving my 1st Marco Polo I charged it the night before and sent my P4 across extremely rough heavily forested mountainous terrain at over 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains. I only had my Marco Polo less than a half hour but I was directed right to it. I bought another one for my I1V2 the day I received it. Following is my final I1V2 install location attached with HD Velcro.
1496719856074.jpg

I have and use the Marco Polo for my P4 and I1V2. My first flight after receiving my 1st Marco Polo I charged it the night before and sent my P4 across extremely rough heavily forested mountainous terrain at over 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains. I only had my Marco Polo less than a half hour but I was directed right to it. I bought another one for my I1V2 the day I received it. Following is my final I1V2 install location attached with HD Velcro.
View attachment 14091
ohhh ok nicee setup, I'll try that with my trackimo gps tracker hope this ends well.

Tk102 here, just beware if the area has no signal you won't get a location, but hopefully between the app, common sense and law of averages you should be ok in finding it. Just tape the battery door shut on the tracker and remember to turn it on.

Also, buy an after market, small flashing LED for bikes, I got one, it weighs 20 grams, and is so bright it hurts my eyes to look at it in daylight. I attach that so if all else fails, and someone does not find it before me, I can wait till dark, and take my trusty phantom up in the air and look for the flashing light.

A sticker with your name and number and cash reward can be worth doing too.

In all honesty I have no lost a drone since my phantom days, but I used to go outside what I really should have done with that thing, and I am now flying so much money with my X5R and Inspire 1 its made me safer just through the sheer terror of losing it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phuketdivecenter