Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Which lens to choose for a new I2

Reaction score
Just moving over to an I2 from Phantom 3. I love photography, and the aerial aspects have provided so many additional creative opportunities. I've ordered my I2 already, however, still considering lens options. When reviewing the DJI supported lens site, just curious as to user recommendations between DJI MFT 15mm/1.7 ASPH and the Olympus M.Zuiko 17mm/1.8? I'm not familiar with quality of either lens, just looking for advice and recommendations from more experienced users! I'm also not opposed to the consideration of Olympus M.Zuiko 25mm/1.8 as my first lens, but again, open to recommendations. I will eventually invest in additional lenses, but for starters, what would you recommend as my first lens?

Thanks!!

17mm Olympus purchased through the offer currently in the classifieds section. Purchasing the X5s sans lens may delay your delivery though, not sure at this point

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Advexure
17mm Olympus purchased through the offer currently in the classifieds section. Purchasing the X5s sans lens may delay your delivery though, not sure at this point

I was going to order the lens through B&H if possible, just wasn't sure of the quality of the lenses

You can order through BH and pay double or get it straight from Olympus on here

I don't have the I2, but I fly an I1 Pro with X5 camera. I have 4 Olympus lenses. The 12mm, 17mm, 25mm and 45mm. The most useful are the 12 and 17. If I had to pick one of those 2, I would go with the 17mm. There are a few reasons. One is that it is around $200 less than the 12mm and not that much narrower. And in comparisons between the 2, I think the 17 gives a slightly more detailed image and opens up a little larger. F1.8 vs F2.0. Only drawback is that I had to get a 33gm balancing ring for the 17, but it works well. The 12mm balances with just a UV filter. The stock DJI (Lumix) 15mm is a decent lens, but I prefer the Olympus lenses for detail.

My favorite lens with the X5 and subsequently the X5S has been the Olympus 12mm (f/2). We have not ever worked with a 17mm but @AeroMirage makes some great points above.

@jmkreege is correct that purchasing a lens excluded unit would delay the order as the lens excluded units are not yet shipping from the DJI Factory.

Ive got the Olympus 12mm, 17mm and 14-42mm zoom. Will be getting the 25mm and 45mm to complete the set. Depending on your images, the 12mm is one the best (in my opinion) just a bugger with focus! (This is for I1 Pro, I2 on way!)

Reactions: Lesmess
As a professional still photographer, my choice with what is offered out there is the Olympus line of glass. Olympus has been manufacturing camera gear longer than Panasonic or some of the other micro 4/3rds on the market compatible with the X5. Obviously, one needs a wide angle lens, but consider the 45mm as well, simply because of the focal length and distortion correction during post processing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669