Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Which sunshade is best for iPad air2 and mini3?

Hoodivision has their new product up on their website! I've bought two and will report with the results later in the week.

Self cut foam core.

p9lmE7n.png
I like it. Do you have a template you could kindly share? Do you have some more photos so we can see how its attached?

Reactions: diverreb
The problem i have with Hoodivision is the angle of the Mini when you see it seems to tilt the controller so that the Antennae are pointed to far toward the ground and not toward the Bird.

Hi all. Have look at this. It's a sun shade I make called the iShade - 2 customers of mine just mentioned that they used it for FPS UAV. The UAV world is new to me, but they really like the iShade. Anyway I though I'd show it to you guys. I released this in Jan 2015 and I'm still trying to get the word out that this exists. Here is a link:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/220650772/ishade-fpv-sun-shade-and-privacy-screen?

I have models which fit the iPad mini, iPad 2, 3, 4 air 2, 3 and MacBooks. It fits easily on and off via an elastic cord and rubber strips. No velcro required and it folds flat and fits in your iPad/ MacBooks carry case.

Attachments

• IMG_2015.JPG
    IMG_2015.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 51
US Shipping is £9.75 via Royal mail first class international. Thats the cheapest I can find which is tracked and signed for.

Hello DJI Pilots,

First we would like to thank all of the happy satisfied owners of our new 3rd generation PadHat shades.
We were able to reduce the price from the previous Hoodini by US$7.00 while crafting an even better shade.

We have received many unsolicited comments and pics from Inspire 1 pilots thanking us and praising our shades.

There have been some concerns and questions about attachment, shade angle, magnets, which model to choose, etc.

We have addressed these concerns in detail with a list of comments by subject on the thread located at this link.

Scroll down below the first set of comments, concerns and misconceptions on the thread.

Thanks again for making us the most desired and popular shade for DJI pilots.
Now the only trick is keeping them in stock... but we are on it.

Last edited:
I bought one each of these from Fusion Imaging via Shapeways. Very nice 3D printed stuff. The first is in one piece while the other is collapsible. The nice thing about them is that they simply slip on with no need to use velcro, magnets and other stuff. The plastic also has a matte texture to prevent reflections. When you mount the iPad with hood in the holder on the Inspire remote it fits snuggly and secure. They are also very lightweight! Comes highly recommended!!!

Deep Hood 1.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/6...deep-hood-easy-glide?li=nav&optionId=43292327

Deep Hood 2.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/J3CYA85AP/ipad-mini-visor-fpv-deep-hood-foldaway?li=shareProduct

Reactions: Lucas
As you can clearly see in the product profiled above, the shade does not block glare and reflection. It reflects just like a mirror and pilots will see their own reflection during use.

We received this unsolicited from Jim Bonnardel, owner of DIY Drones.com and the president of Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego:

"I wanted to comment on the perfect angle of the PadHat.

There are a few guys showing up at the field with other brand shades, as well as home made ones.

Everyone complains about the glare and reflection. With the other shades, at a 90 degree angle, the screens are a perfect mirror showing the pilot their own reflection.

Hoodivision shades have that perfect angle that completely eliminates that. As soon as I show them my shades, they realize that the PadHat is the best out there."

We thank Jim for his impartial and factual observation.

FTR 90 degree box shades do not block any glare and reflection. A 90 degree straight shade would need to be 20-24" high to block glare and reflection like a PadHat shade.

You are correct about 90 degree shades.... They do offer some protection, but are not the perfect solution. I have tried both versions of the Hoodivision. While they may be angled correctly to block the sun they presents other issues. To easily view the whole screen and for the remote to be at a comfortable level the antennae end up pointing to low.... Almost at the ground. The attachment method also leaves me wondering that there has to be a better way.... I'm afraid the only real solution in a non glare viewable screen, which doesn't seem to be on Apple's or Samsung's radar.

You are correct about 90 degree shades.... They do offer some protection, but are not the perfect solution. I have tried both versions of the Hoodivision. While they may be angled correctly to block the sun they presents other issues. To easily view the whole screen and for the remote to be at a comfortable level the antennae end up pointing to low.... Almost at the ground. The attachment method also leaves me wondering that there has to be a better way.... I'm afraid the only real solution in a non glare viewable screen, which doesn't seem to be on Apple's or Samsung's radar.
Hi. Thanks for the comment.

We have 100s of pilots including pros on location at video shoots using the PadHat and none have reported any problems with antenna signal strength and reach because of the shades.

Shade attachment must be either to the tablet or the mounting bracket. We have researched both. Currently the best solution we have found is attaching to the tablet as it makes it universal for most mounts. We are studying possibilities for a mount attachment but will not produce one until we are convinced it does not cover the bottom of the tablet restricting port access and the shade wings are anchored and stable.

We are also looking at offering a shell case that will work with both the magnetic and velcro versions.

If you have a PadHat and the wing tabs are sewn to the wing walls instead of to the black trim along the bottom edge please contact [email protected] for a free exchange. The new wing tabs are now NanoStik on the bottom and loop velcro on the top permitting velcro attachment to the bottom side edges of the iPad. Please see the Instructions here to understand how it works.

Best Regards,
The HoodiVision Team

Last edited:
As you can clearly see in the product profiled above, the shade does not block glare and reflection. It reflects just like a mirror and pilots will see their own reflection during use.

If you hold the remote at the excact same angle and distance as the productphoto I agree you would get the reflections. But in fact I am holding the remote straight in front of me and although the hood is not perfect, it's doing a fairly good job. If yoy want to remove the mirror effect you would have to apply some kind of matte plastic shield to the screen itself.

We are not inexpensive but I guarantee you'll be satisfied or your money back: Check our sunshades out at aerialdroneaccessories.com. We only take orders on 10 of them at a time. They are manufactured per order.

We have some Inspire 1 specially crafted items. We specialize in SunShades for the iPad Mini and the iPad Air 2. We just released this sunshade today and we only allow 10 to be ordered at a time. Check it out and please let us know what you think. We've not had time to shoot our Product photos the ones attached are quick ones we made for a few of our clients.

http://aerialdroneaccessories.com/product/sunshade-pro-air-inspire-1-and-phantom-3/

Attachments

• WEB-BE5A7683.jpg
    WEB-BE5A7683.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 41
  • WEB-BE5A7685.jpg
    WEB-BE5A7685.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 38
  • WEB-BE5A7696.jpg
    WEB-BE5A7696.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 38
  • WEB-BE5A7697.jpg
    WEB-BE5A7697.jpg
    310.4 KB · Views: 39
  • WEB-BE5A7702.jpg
    WEB-BE5A7702.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
90 degree shades do not block glare and reflection on the display. Only the PadHat blocks glare and reflection for UAV pilots. That is why 100s of pilots, pro and amateur, use HoodiVision shades.

As we posted earlier on this thread:

We received this unsolicited from Jim Bonnardel, owner of DIY Drones.com and the president of Silent Electric Flyers of San Diego:

"I wanted to comment on the perfect angle of the PadHat.

There are a few guys showing up at the field with other brand shades, as well as home made ones.

Everyone complains about the glare and reflection. With the other shades, at a 90 degree angle, the screens are a perfect mirror showing the pilot their own reflection.

Hoodivision shades have that perfect angle that completely eliminates that. As soon as I show them my shades, they realize that the PadHat is the best out there."

We thank Jim for his impartial and factual observation.

A 90 degree straight shade would need to be 20-24" high to block glare and reflection like a PadHat shade.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CandyGolds