Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Why commercial drone pilots don't need FAA License

I understand people flying a drone need to understand the rules, regulations and responsibilites that come with doing so. What I don't understand is why I can go out and legally get footage of something, let's say an empty park, and I don't need a pilot's license to do so. I don't need to learn to fly an airplane to get this shot. If I want to take that same footage and be paid for it now I need a pilot's license. Why? What is it in receiving the money that makes it need that license? Yes, it makes it a commercial project but that's not what I'm after. The act of flying the drone and aquiring the footage is the same in both cases.

Aside from my not understanding the why as explained above, I have no problem really with needing to take a test but I also think it should be in reason with the equipment being used. As someone who drives a vehicle I didn't need to learn how to drive a semi just because I share the road with those drivers. I did learn the rules of the road though in getting my drivers license and with that license have something that shows I took the training necessary.

I see the value for a business to have a certificate to show for perspective customers but in my case I have one shot that a friend wants to pay me for in his documentary and I just have to say sorry, I need to learn how to fly an airplane first.

I understand people flying a drone need to understand the rules, regulations and responsibilites that come with doing so. What I don't understand is why I can go out and legally get footage of something, let's say an empty park, and I don't need a pilot's license to do so. I don't need to learn to fly an airplane to get this shot. If I want to take that same footage and be paid for it now I need a pilot's license. Why? What is it in receiving the money that makes it need that license? Yes, it makes it a commercial project but that's not what I'm after. The act of flying the drone and aquiring the footage is the same in both cases.

Aside from my not understanding the why as explained above, I have no problem really with needing to take a test but I also think it should be in reason with the equipment being used. As someone who drives a vehicle I didn't need to learn how to drive a semi just because I share the road with those drivers. I did learn the rules of the road though in getting my drivers license and with that license have something that shows I took the training necessary.

I see the value for a business to have a certificate to show for perspective customers but in my case I have one shot that a friend wants to pay me for in his documentary and I just have to say sorry, I need to learn how to fly an airplane first.
To understand it you may want to consider the commercial aspect a bit wider than just your one shot/buck.

The thinking goes something like this. Where there is monetary compensation as a result of flying, the authorities take it that there is temptation to take short cuts and more risks just to get the money at the end of the job. In order to mitigate those risks they insist on a higher level of knowledge of flying including air law, air navigation, formal risk assessments, weather etc and a defined level of assessment of competence under a wide selection of conditions including emergency responses.

On top of that they want a certified pilots to have a very strict set of procedures (Operations Manual) that they stick to religiously and submit flight logs annually if a renewed permit is to be issued. If a pilot wants to continue flying commercially there is the incentive to keep detailed logs etc if they want to stay in business.

For the same reasons commercial PL insurance is a lot more expensive than enthusiast's insurance.

They reckon all this makes it safer. Some see it as a tax but I can sort of see the authorities point. In order to get certified it is expensive but on going annual costs are minimal, at least in the UK.

I know there is a lot of hot opinions on this :)

Word
Ive had numerous job offerings, refusals i should say. That's really not why I fly but it does make great advertising.
People in my neighborhood advertise on behalf of me. Things their interested in filming to make money, middle men! I constantly have to tell one friend I can't really fly for paper. Living in NYC if you Numpty enough to fly jobs just come:D
Another neighbor I filmed her Neighborhood Garden, gave her the footage her husband/director wanted to repay me so bad:p. Thats a x3/x5 story
I had another stranger offer me money to train him to fly, exchanged cell #:D
Life is great you just cant be too greedy or take any credit. Under the table money is what they done turned this into.
A pilots license how much practice do I need and with the Matrice 600 controlled crash tech be your own Judge Ito. Getting a 333 is even still comical...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo