Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Why I am staying with the original props...

Maybe they are bringing them back? Ive had some on backorder for months and the last update I got was they were going to send the new quick release instead.

are there any decent 3rd party props around?
I'd honestly feel better with just a nut and bolt holding the thing on there,,,, who cares if it takes a min to set up....

The damage in the photo is obviously crash damage, the mounts are obviously the weakest link. Do you honestly believe DJI would release these mounts without doing a fatigue analysis. These will have gone through hundreds of hours on test motors controlled by computers to put them through a multitude of flying conditions. Units will be taken from various production batches and tested over hundreds of hours of simulated flights. There must be something they did not like about the original quick fix locks for the screw on props. I did read motor cooling could be a problem in hotter climates, why go to the expense of supplying the quick release props to customers with standard screw on if they are satisfied they are safe to use? They would be really dumb, not to have tested these quick release props and attachment components especially after several screw on's flying off. PS I received my bird last week after a delay because DJI stated they were upgrading the proplock system. I received my inspire with the new system fitted, I check the locking mechanism after each days flight. No probs so far.

Do you honestly believe DJI would release these mounts without doing a fatigue analysis.
YES! - It's DJI - we are the testers!

Come on, get real. They have only swapped over to the QR props for two reasons:
1. It affords them the opportunity to make more money since the props and adapters are classed as consumables and have a 200 flight life span.
2. They can use the same machines to manufacture both Inspire props AND E800 tuned propulsion system props - Saving them money.

As much as I love my Inspire, I live in the real world. It's a Chinese company who's quality control is very questionable at best. I still remember the fiasco of the series 1 Phantoms, The late release and 30% failure rate of the Zenmuse H2-2D and the same situation when they released the H3-3D (late).
Of course, they would have done stress tests on those gimbals and done hundred of hours flying and been tested by computers and........ that's why they still went to market and had a 30% failure rate.
Do I personally believe the QR props and adapters are a crap less secure design? - Yes.

Last edited:

1. It affords them the opportunity to make more money since the props and adapters are classed as consumables and have a 200 flight life span.
2. They can use the same machines to manufacture both Inspire props AND E800 tuned propulsion system props - Saving them money.

As much as I love my Inspire, I live in the real world. It's a Chinese company who's quality control is very questionable at best. I still remember the fiasco of the series 1 Phantoms, The late release and 30% failure rate of the Zenmuse H2-2D and the same situation when they released the H3-3D (late).
Of course, they would have done stress tests on those gimbals and done hundred of hours flying and been tested by computers and........ that's why they still went to market and had a 30% failure rate.
Do I personally believe the QR props and adapters a re crap design? - Yes.
I appreciate your input so...if you were me...
I just spoke with my dealer and he is getting ready to send me a care package. It seems that no one can give me a straight answer on the props. He can either send me a bunch more old props or a bunch of new props. What would you do? I have 3 sets of old props now, 2 have not been opened.

Is the bird actually quieter, more stable with the new props. I'm not lazy enough to care about set-up time so if it's just for convenience, meh.

I appreciate your input so...if you were me...
I just spoke with my dealer and he is getting ready to send me a care package. It seems that no one can give me a straight answer on the props. He can either send me a bunch more old props or a bunch of new props. What would you do? I have 3 sets of old props now, 2 have not been opened.
Well, if it were me (and it's only my personal opinion - everyone has to satisfy themselves and do what works for them) - I would get the old props and maybe another pack of prop locks while you can get them.
I personally prefer the redundancy a threaded self tightening prop AND a prop lock give you...... but that's me.

FYI - I have today called 5 dealers and only two had stock of the old props..... I have now cleaned both those dealers out. Assuming I do not go cutting grass or trees or shrubs etc I would hope I have sufficient 'old' props for the life of the machine :)

Reactions: damoncooper

Do I personally believe the QR props and adapters a re crap design? - Yes.

Please Editor....

Stop making sense.

:)

Like any other part, there will be an occasional failure. If you replace them every 200 flights there shouldn't be any real issues. I intended to use the new ones as back ups, until i decided just to put one on and see how it worked.... After that I put the others on and flew for a while. They are staying on because they are very easy to use. Only coming off if there are proven issues with them.

Well, if it were me (and it's only my personal opinion - everyone has to satisfy themselves and do what works for them) - I would get the old props and maybe another pack of prop locks while you can get them.
I personally prefer the redundancy a threaded self tightening prop AND a prop lock give you...... but that's me.

FYI - I have today called 5 dealers and only two had stock of the old props..... I have now cleaned both those dealers out. Assuming I do not go cutting grass or trees or shrubs etc I would hope I have sufficient 'old' props for the life of the machine :)

I'll argue with you on this :). In my opinion, the odds of this system failing are about the same odds that an esc or motor will fail, 200 flights is a lot of flights (in the real world, as you mentioned you reside) and to put this in perspective numbers wise, if the average inspire user had 6 batteries and flew every day, the cam system would last over a month, odds are you would be replacing your props before that.The prop locks are considered consumable as well (DJI just didn't inform you like they did with the cam system) as you squeeze them to install they are getting used, the stress of them being installed with props (and in use) will cause them stress to the point that they could fail if you aren't paying attention to your install and very well fail mid flight, just like the cam system, if you aren't paying attention to how the prop is installed and checking that, yes it will fail on you. The cam system is inexpensive so there's no reason to not have a complete replacement set in your tool bag in the event you need to replace one or want to. To me this part is no different to replace than the wear and tear parts for your car, your computer, your bicycle, etc etc...I hope you see where I'm going here.

The picture you provided is definitely evident of crash results, to which we have no idea how the crash happened, you just posted the pic pinpointing the cam system to blame and implying to everyone here that it is faulty by design so now you got a bunch of people thinking that it sucks and will cause your inspire to crash at some point. This is also called propaganda (see what I did there) and you're building a situation that has no truth from the original poster of that pic to provide us with how it happened or even why they took a pic of the broken cam system. For all we know, it was 1 of 5 other pics of broken parts that the owner was looking to get replaced.

The funny thing is you bring up redundancy, yet there's a multitude of people on here and in the world in general (you and myself included) flying inspires and other quad based systems everyday for "professional" use. If you guys are so concerned with this as an issue, I would suggest selling your inspire and investing in a proper redundant system, y6, x8, octo, dual fc systems, batts in parallel...etc etc. Point is you can chalk this up to being "unsafe" yet your Inspire is an unsafe platform every time you take off. Every time. It doesn't matter whether you have the cam system installed or the older prop locks, it's still unsafe. All in all this boils down to the age old saying "don't fly what you can't afford to lose"

Anyway, just another point of view to look at :rolleyes:. I understand where you're coming from completely. While I won't be replacing my cam system until I see it necessary or until I hit 200 flights on my inspire, I totally get why others would. So don't hate on me too much.

Reactions: DJeff1
Understood and I do fly two Hexacopters as well.
However, if a prop lock fails due to stress or any other reason it is highly likely your Inspire will stay in the sky.
If a cam fails on the new system it will not since you will lose a prop. As you quite rightly point out, a quad can't fly on three props (yes I know about the TED lectures and the algorithms embedded in those quads but we are talking the Inspire)
My theory is simply based on minimising risk which any redundant system gives you.
As an aside, on my hex's I even run two separate power distribution systems in case I have a pack or cell go down, so I even practice redundancy on those beyond just the number of props/motors ;)
Just my two pennyworth. I will cease the propaganda for fear of starting a cult. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: skylabimaging
Understood and I do fly two Hexacopters as well.
However, if a prop lock fails due to stress or any other reason it is highly likely your Inspire will stay in the sky.
If a cam fails on the new system it will not since you will lose a prop. As you quite rightly point out, a quad can't fly on three props (yes I know about the TED lectures and the algorithms embedded in those quads but we are talking the Inspire)
My theory is simply based on minimising risk which any redundant system gives you.
As an aside, on my hex's I even run two separate power distribution systems in case I have a pack or cell go down, so I even practice redundancy on those beyond just the number of props/motors ;)
Just my two pennyworth. I will cease the propaganda for fear of starting a cult. :p

PROPaganda...you knock that off...I'm just one of those people that looks at all angles of a given scenario.

I've been using the new props for months. I had well over the 200 recommended flights on a prototype set that DJI sent me and I still fly those without issue. I also have about 200 flights on a brand new set that I got the day they were released for the public and have had great luck with those as well. I agree that the original props with the prop locks are probably the most secure option, but I think the new props aren't a risk unless you hit something with the prop and damage it.

Ok, seriously, what are the advantages of the new props???? Why would I even bother if it is only a convenience feature?
I've asked this question in the thread already and it always comes down to the safety discussion. I admit, it doesn't get much safer than prop locks..
Quieter, more stable flight, fast - what are some positives attributes with the new props????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexzazz