Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Why no 360 degree Obstacle avoidance?

Reaction score
ok what I don't understand is why don't they just put 360 obstacle avoidance on these guys!!! Come on!!! Dgi is looking like apple coming out with a little at a time! (Over all I think they actually did a pretty good job with a big upgrade compared to apple etc...)
But phantom 4 pro has front, rear, sides, And down, but no up!? So close! Where inspire 2 has only front, top and bottom!? What the crap? Why not sides and rear to give us 360!! Or top on the phantom 4!!? Seriously?!
Are they just waiting for the next version so they can then say "360 advodince" watch you see.... and then everyone will go crazy total protection blah blah.... just a shame!
Anyone feel the same?

I feel your pain. And I totally agree with u. But from a business point of view it makes total sense. Plus I'm sure they have stuff on the table that we haven't even considered. Maybe an even smaller Mavic with 360 degree sensing and a P4 pro grade camera. And even longer flight times. :)

On the I2 not going 360° is pretty understandable since the gimbal can be pointing anywhere with the bird still going forward, and it would be a pain to put the sensors out on the arms.

I can see reasons from both perspectives: sure, they want to milk things by doing incremental updates, but they are also leveraging what they develop across platforms but perhaps not 100% of the things are being shared.

The Inspire series is a more serious drone with more commercial application but not quite fully pro. It is in some sense a kind of odd man out by being neither cheap nor fully capable of handling the larger gear like Red cameras. I actually think DJI sees the Inspire as there test bed for cameras as they do seem very interested in being players in the camera business. So, the emphasis for DJI with the Inspire is about cameras and not so much about the other tech being innovated such as obstacle avoidance.

Looking down the road a decade or so, if we are still permitted to use drones, I see much higher levels of sensors and transponders that substantially reduce the treat of collision with objects as well as airplanes and helicopters, and should by then allow long range BLOS operation without spotters. We're a long way away from that at this point, but I can also see the things that might make all that possible. I also see hybrid drones with gas powered engines that produce some or all the power. Such a hybrid might have a small engine developing a few hp that drives a prop for thrust/lift but also an alternator to keep the batteries charged with electric motors providing some or all of the thrust/lift.

Brian

Good point raptor. I've always felt the inspire 1 when first released was a bit over priced. The new p4 pro with all the upgrades seems like a better deal.

I can see reasons from both perspectives: sure, they want to milk things by doing incremental updates, but they are also leveraging what they develop across platforms but perhaps not 100% of the things are being shared.

The Inspire series is a more serious drone with more commercial application but not quite fully pro. It is in some sense a kind of odd man out by being neither cheap nor fully capable of handling the larger gear like Red cameras. I actually think DJI sees the Inspire as there test bed for cameras as they do seem very interested in being players in the camera business. So, the emphasis for DJI with the Inspire is about cameras and not so much about the other tech being innovated such as obstacle avoidance.

Looking down the road a decade or so, if we are still permitted to use drones, I see much higher levels of sensors and transponders that substantially reduce the treat of collision with objects as well as airplanes and helicopters, and should by then allow long range BLOS operation without spotters. We're a long way away from that at this point, but I can also see the things that might make all that possible. I also see hybrid drones with gas powered engines that produce some or all the power. Such a hybrid might have a small engine developing a few hp that drives a prop for thrust/lift but also an alternator to keep the batteries charged with electric motors providing some or all of the thrust/lift.

Brian

I agree. It's weired that the "low cost" model P4p got more advanced features than the M600! The camera issue is another story. The I2 got finally a FPV cam which not even the M600 got. It's weired..

Reactions: dopeytree
Does anyone know more about how the obstacle avoidance works? Such as would it work at night? or in fog etc?

After watching a few videos online about "First Flights" with the Inspire 2 many comments have been made that the more light you have available the better the avoidance works.

The two sensors on the front of the drone are actually cameras, so those need light to be able to detect objects.

With all that said, I assume that the avoidance system may not work perfect during night flights.

I'll have the obstacle avoidance turned off most of the time. In real on set situations, it triggers way too far away. Ymmv

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide