Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Why not a pilot certificate?

"DONKEYS" So that is what you call a hobbyist who probably created the "thing" that you are now flying to try to make money on. I have been flying RC planes since the mid 70's and have been flying Quads since inception and I some what take offence to your name calling. Before you came along I didn't have to put Registered numbers on my equipment. I wasn't limited to 400 hundred foot height restrictions and do you know why? Because we already knew it was unsafe to do so.
Normally I don't post on here, But I "troll" a lot. not because I'm nosey but because I enjoy seeing what people have created and how they created it. Maybe if I was younger, I would be as ambitious as you. maybe not. I'll continue to fly, sail ride motorcycles, etc. but as a hobbyist.
I apologize for my rant.
Editor you can remove this if you wish.

As both a "Donkey" -- e.g. registered and credentialed AMA member, and a professional pilot (Part 107, certificated), I didn't take too much offense to this. All you need to do is go to YouTube and find no shortage of people who are either ignorant of the rules, or willfully flouting them in order to "hot-dog" their flights in order to get a wow-factor for more hits, more subscriptions, and therefore more Googlebuck$. Not to put words in Jason's mouth, but I have a feeling that this was more what he was referring to. It's hard not to resent such folks that get admittedly great footage, while endangering the NAS and the safety of other people when if they were EITHER an AMA member or a certificated pilot, they would know better. I suspect that such hot-doggers just do not care.

As both a "Donkey" -- e.g. registered and credentialed AMA member, and a professional pilot (Part 107, certificated), I didn't take too much offense to this. All you need to do is go to YouTube and find no shortage of people who are either ignorant of the rules, or willfully flouting them in order to "hot-dog" their flights in order to get a wow-factor for more hits, more subscriptions, and therefore more Googlebuck$. Not to put words in Jason's mouth, but I have a feeling that this was more what he was referring to. It's hard not to resent such folks that get admittedly great footage, while endangering the NAS and the safety of other people when if they were EITHER an AMA member or a certificated pilot, they would know better. I suspect that such hot-doggers just do not care.
Yes, perhaps the term is offensive to some (can be derogatory in some circles). I did mean hot doggers, or jackasses like you see all over YouTube. There are dozens of them for every licensed and responsible pro out there. My point is that people can be less qualified and have fewer restrictions. Makes no sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: William Gaddy
Yes, perhaps the term is offensive to some (can be derogatory in some circles). I did mean hot doggers, or jackasses like you see all over YouTube. There are dozens of them for every licensed and responsible pro out there. My point is that people can be less qualified and have fewer restrictions. Makes no sense.

Jason I apologize for my rant, I used to call them "donkeys or hotdogs" the 10% of any group that seem to try and make everyone else look bad, and your right, all you have to do is watch some videos. To be honest I have looked into the 107 certificate, and who knows maybe we'll give it a go.
You are right about the restrictions it does seem to cuff you from what you may want to achieve. Hopefully in the future regulations will lighten up so commercial pilots don't have to jump through hoops to make an honest living.
I'll just go back to my "trolling" now. Again sorry for the rant.

Jason I apologize for my rant, I used to call them "donkeys or hotdogs" the 10% of any group that seem to try and make everyone else look bad, and your right, all you have to do is watch some videos. To be honest I have looked into the 107 certificate, and who knows maybe we'll give it a go.
You are right about the restrictions it does seem to cuff you from what you may want to achieve. Hopefully in the future regulations will lighten up so commercial pilots don't have to jump through hoops to make an honest living.
I'll just go back to my "trolling" now. Again sorry for the rant.
I totally respect your comments and I probably could have toned it down a bit. I've been on a bit of a rampage about some of the Part 107 deficiencies. There will be an evolution. I'm just impatient because I see the upside potential of the technology. The FAA has a hard job and keeps us pretty darn safe. I hope they see that commercial operators are a partner in making safety continue. We have every incentive to be responsible, unlike tge hot shots.

I totally respect your comments and I probably could have toned it down a bit. I've been on a bit of a rampage about some of the Part 107 deficiencies. There will be an evolution. I'm just impatient because I see the upside potential of the technology. The FAA has a hard job and keeps us pretty darn safe. I hope they see that commercial operators are a partner in making safety continue. We have every incentive to be responsible, unlike tge hot shots.

I'm actually grateful the FAA is moving as fast as it is.... it's a big bureaucracy that moves at "half the speed of smell" (obligatory reference: Tiny Plane Troubles Tiny Plane Trouble ). But they definitely need to square the CFR 14 Part 107 with the PL/Section 336. It's still a little unsettling that us AMA members can perform nighttime flights and FPV (albeit with a spotter) but ALSO us 107 pilots need to go through an intense rigamarole to do the same... plus I can almost guarantee you that if you saw someone shooting a hot dog video and asked for their AMA card they would shrug and say "What's the AMA?", let alone their Pilot cert. I can understand why this state of affairs is disconcerting when everyone here (at least, I think so) is actually trying to ply by the rules.

Reactions: Jason1234

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnieTret