Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Will an aircraft's airflow prevent a drone from striking it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I also work for an aerospace research and development company. I work with STC's, perform DO160 and H.A.L.T. tests. We also use the wind tunnel at N.A.S.A.

I suppose you didn't think about drones crashing into helicopters either did you?
Of course I did and not trying to sound naive but I would assume the downdraft from the helicopter rotors would help in keeping a drone away provided it was coming in from below.

Of course I did and not trying to sound naive but I would assume the downdraft from the helicopter rotors would help in keeping a drone away provided it was coming in from below.

Yeah, if the heli is hovering or flying at very low speed. Same for the drone, if it flies at low speed the downdraft could move it out of the way...

Chris

Yes, I also work for an aerospace research and development company. I work with STC's, perform DO160 and H.A.L.T. tests. We also use the wind tunnel at N.A.S.A.

I suppose you didn't think about drones crashing into helicopters either did you?

Apparently you don't understand how helicopters work. The down-force of wind from the blades makes it impossible for ANYTHING to hit the helicopter.

Why do you think no helicopter has ever been shot down in any war... because bullets and missiles can't touch em!

People really should inform themselves before blindly posting on the forums.

hahahahahaha

P.S. My above statement is 99.9% ******** (for those who still don't get it)

Reactions: Droneworx
We're not being nasty, but your idiocy needs to be corrected before anyone else starts to believe it. It is people like you that are hurting this activity and unless we make it clear how wrong you are then we are also part of the problem.

There is a subset of the public, armed with a minimal understanding of science, that extrapolate convoluted ideas from there 4th grade science understanding. Groups like the 911 truthers fit this pattern. We do not want this mindless nonsense here.

Brian

So the answer is no. The negative comments are pretty unnecessary. He asked a question, just give an answer. My answer is that you are right about the air flowing around a plane. It is called the boundary layer, however, that buffer is actually very thin and most things with momentum and mass will penetrate the layer. You also have to remember that the plane itself has momentum (a lot of it) so anything in front of it will get hit. There is also suction from the prop on both helis and planes so they are sucking stuff in as well. Lastly, remember that cars have similar aerodynamics (lower speeds) and we all know how that ends.

We're not being nasty, but your idiocy needs to be corrected before anyone else starts to believe it. It is people like you that are hurting this activity and unless we make it clear how wrong you are then we are also part of the problem.

There is a subset of the public, armed with a minimal understanding of science, that extrapolate convoluted ideas from there 4th grade science understanding. Groups like the 911 truthers fit this pattern. We do not want this mindless nonsense here.

Brian
Obviously you never finished high school. Anything you say cannot be taken seriously due to your lack of understanding basic English Grammar!
Go to school and get an education!

Obviously you never finished high school. Anything you say cannot be taken seriously due to your lack of understanding basic English Grammar!
Go to school and get an education!

The things you're saying are more nasty than most of the other people. Let's put this one to rest and not get all crazy about it. You're just egging it on anyway, which is one of the things trolls do, so you aren't helping your case.

Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth