Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Will be buying X5 + Osmo: So Inspire 1 or Phantom 4?

Given that I will already be buying the X5 + Osmo, as a new pilot, what would you recommend?

• Phantom 4

• Inspire 1

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I just want to make sure I'm considering all the pertinent factors here. First of all let me establish that I'll be purchasing the X5 camera + Osmo handle for run and gun style video shooting. I have also been planning a drone purchase for a while - at this point also to be used for more run and gun style shooting, but we do have a commercial video/photo company so there definitely would be planned commerical shooting in the cards too.

Initially I was planning on purchasing the P4, but since I'm buying the Osmo + X5 camera for ground work anyway, I realized I could get an Inspire 1 Pro and Osmo handle for only $400 more after piecing together full kits. So only a marginal price difference and now I'm in a dilemma. I know ultimately it's a decision that I must make and can't just ask you guys "what's best", but I just want to make sure that I'm considering all of the pertinent factors here.

Phantom 4 Pros:
  • Marginally cheaper (but still only $400) when bought with Osmo + X5
  • Faster time to air, more conducive to "run and gun" style shooting, especially when we plan on using this backpack which can keep the props on between shots when in the field: D1 Backpack for DJI Phantom
  • More compact form factor, easier for both automobile and air travel
  • Longer battery life
  • Collision avoidance (I know not to rely on this, but definitely reassuring being a new pilot and all...)
  • Would have it's own (but inferior) camera, therefore my osmo + X5 system wouldn't be decommisioned if I had a crash (or vice versa)

Inspire 1 w/ X5 Pros:
  • Flying the better X5 camera vs the P4 camera (which I gather is similar to the X3)
  • More stable in flight due to heavier weight (potentially relevant since I live in a windy area)
  • Faster
  • Retractable landing gear, which I see very useful especially for high speed forward flight
  • Dual operator (my girlfirend and I are both photographers/videographers so we could use this for sure, but as newbies I see the "intelligent flight modes" being somethign we would use more at the moment. But maybe this is something that will change completely once experience is gained...)

At this point I am leaning a bit towards the P4, but at face value it also seems crazy to me when I think I'm opting for the "lesser" of the two systems when the price difference is almost negligble. Do you guys think I'm over estimating the benefits of the portability, faster setup, and collision avoidance of the P4? Is airline traveling with the P4 that much easier? What exactly would be the differences in setup time between the I1 and P4? Are we talking like a couple minutes? Are there backpacks similar to the Manfrotto D1 that could carry the Inspire 1 strapped on and fully setup?

Hoping to draw upon your guys' experience.
Thanks

I would recommend to go for the Inspire 1, especially if you're planning to use it for a longer period of time regardering the possibility to upgrade your camera etc. Also the setup time will probably be the same for the I1 as for the P4. Inspire 1 is faster and has a better range, it's more stable and you won't see the landing gear / props in your shots.

Right now there is a really nice discount going on for the DJI Inspire 1 on the DJI site: Buy Inspire 1 V2.0 | DJI Store
You get free batteries for a lower price!

Feel free to ask any questions:)

Edit by moderator: Affiliated URL link removed

Affiliated link removed.

Spammer now banned

I've never had a Phantom, but here's some info on the Inspire. I'm a new I1 owner, so I'm probably missing a lot of specific details;
- Aricraft is larger, and therefore so is the case. I have no idea on the practicality of checking the Phantom or Inspire it into airport luggage, but I doubt (pretty sure) the Inspire case is small enough to carry on. Checking it in might also be begging for a "sorry we lost your luggage" at the other end.

- Setup on the inspire is just installing the rotors & Camera. Even when I first unpacked the I1, it didn't take more than 2 or 3 minutes to setup. I usually take around 5 to be sure the rotors are secure, and being extra careful not to damage the camera gimbal.
- - The Phantom, with it's fixed landing gear, can be packed with the camera attached
- - On the other hand, the camera on the Inspire can do a 360 sweep while in flight and not have the landing gear (at altitude) in frame

From what I've found, the batter life on the I1 can be bumped to just over the basic Phantom by using 5700 (T48) batteries, instead of the one 4500 (T47). I think the T48 is rated at 26 minutes, so flight time shouldn't be as much of an issue - assuming you want to buy more batteries..

The biggest problem I've noticed with the I1 setup is that you have to "waste" battery power on both RC and Inspire to take it out of, or into, travel mode. It hasn't happened to me (yet), but if you're critically low on aircraft battery power, you may not be able to get it into travel mode - and then it won't fit in the case at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44