Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Will Inspire 1s become obsolete in 2018?

Reaction score
i hear the Phantom 3 Pro is no longer for sale, it was released in 2015.
I'm certainly no expert but I've had my I1 Pro one year and quite frankly I love it, the I2 is an order of magnitude beyond my needs so I'm wondering should I purchase a few I1s to have for future parts? Enterprising dealers may resort to purchasing used platforms for future sales and parts. Kind of thinking "out loud".

Inspire 1 will definitely be sticking around for the time being as it is meeting the needs for industrial applications. DJI continues to focus their enterprise and industrial resources on the Inspire 1 due to the fact that the Zenmuse XT line is only compatible with the Inspire 1, Matrice 100 and Matrice 600. This line continues to expand and instead of phasing out the Inspire 1 I believe we will likely see the Inspire 1 stay in the game for industrial applications while the Inspire 2 meets the needs of professional film makers.

i hear the Phantom 3 Pro is no longer for sale, it was released in 2015.
I'm certainly no expert but I've had my I1 Pro one year and quite frankly I love it, the I2 is an order of magnitude beyond my needs so I'm wondering should I purchase a few I1s to have for future parts? Enterprising dealers may resort to purchasing used platforms for future sales and parts. Kind of thinking "out loud".

The Inspire 1 is going to be around for a long time. It's the perfect lifter for surveying and Thermal operations

Camera companies often drop a line after 3 years for a new model. Phones are annually. I can't see DJI keeping two manufacturing lines running for both the I1 and I2 both (The I1 is a 2014 model as is.). Most likely they will phase out the I1 in the next year and move some of the thermal and industrial stuff to the I2. Repair parts may be warehoused as needed for a few years, and/or put them out into the market as some hobby shops or eBay and sell very old P1&P2 parts to keep them going where you can't get all P4 parts yet (Like the RC battery.). The Phantom 1&2 are pretty much what's left on the shelves, and the P3 may soon be the same. Not a lot of time separates those models, and I1 had a good long run.

Tech marches on - and fast!

Reactions: Mete
Camera companies often drop a line after 3 years for a new model. Phones are annually. I can't see DJI keeping two manufacturing lines running for both the I1 and I2 both (The I1 is a 2014 model as is.). Most likely they will phase out the I1 in the next year and move some of the thermal and industrial stuff to the I2. Repair parts may be warehoused as needed for a few years, and/or put them out into the market as some hobby shops or eBay and sell very old P1&P2 parts to keep them going where you can't get all P4 parts yet (Like the RC battery.). The Phantom 1&2 are pretty much what's left on the shelves, and the P3 may soon be the same. Not a lot of time separates those models, and I1 had a good long run.

I have to agree . The matrice line will keep going using there xt cams

Highly doubtful they will move the Thermal and industry stuff to the I2 which is optimized for film making.

Why wouldn't they . I'm sure newer models are on the horizon. It's only progress . Trust me I had an x5 an was disappointed in what they did making everything un compatible.

Reactions: DavidK
Of course all these speculations are based on information from trusted sources and public announcements by Frank Wang :D ...

FTOlino, I am another who is royally pissed off with DJI regarding the compatibility of X5 with Inspire 2, but not surprised.

My concern is not about production stopping but availability of spares particularly for X5. Mine was just replaced under warranty and I do not have comfortable feeling about future repairs.....

The X5 is compatible with the A3 controller and via the Matrice mounting can be added to S900/S1000 for example.

Reactions: madgadget
It's just what one would call obsolete.
For instance: my old Macbook Pro 2009 is still working great and FCPro works still like a charm. With a 500G SSD disk it's pretty fast as well. Actually never considered it to be out of date.

The I1 is perfect for a lot of uses. I can't see why it would become obsolete for me just because there's a new kid on the block. Even when DJI completely stops selling spares, people will find other ways to keep them flying. My old Phantoms aren't obsolete either, I can still find motors, ESC's, props, and more for it. Great little trainers, you can still put them to 100% manual (later DJI products will always be Atti at least), making them the opposite of obsolete for me.

The fact that we will have fewer software updates until the point where we are left alone by DJI is only a blessing. I don't need collision detection. I do like the better lenses for the I2 though. But alternatives might become available. Don't forget there are a lot of Matrice100's out there too. The M600 will also drive the demand for compatibility with the latest camera's.

Reactions: PB30X and MacDyver
Been buying spare parts INSPIRE 1 v.1, it's NOT obsolete and going anywhere for "me"! If you're in the competitive market and always need the next best thing, YES then everything is obsolete as we speak. As lake_flyer explained how many electronic gizmos, TV's, computers do you still use that are 2-10+yrs old? It's an awesome platform and still 100% convinced the Phantom series doesn't even compete and I still own them to. It's a hobby not an obsession, well sorta lol... Be Safe, Fly On[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand it in the USA manufacturers have to continue to offer spares for 5 years after production ends so if this is true then it still has a long life span, maybe some one can confirm this.

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

The Inspire 1 is already obsolete. Industrial development will be shifted toward the matrice line, for obvious reasons. That said, the I1 is as great as it was a few months ago. If it meets your needs, then don't worry about whether or not it is obsolete.

My I1 is NOT obsolete, nor is my P3P. They are both very capable ACs and do what I need to get what I deliver. Both are registered w/ N#s and I really don't see the need to chase whimsical product releases. Yes the I2 impresses me, but I went down a different path because I have an I1 and bought a M600P. I think I have a diversified "portfolio" with the P3P/I1/M600P that can do pretty much anything I want.

My I1 is NOT obsolete, nor is my P3P. They are both very capable ACs and do what I need to get what I deliver. Both are registered w/ N#s and I really don't see the need to chase whimsical product releases. Yes the I2 impresses me, but I went down a different path because I have an I1 and bought a M600P. I think I have a diversified "portfolio" with the P3P/I1/M600P that can do pretty much anything I want.

Yes, they are. Personal opinions don't really matter in this regard, though I share yours.

From DJI's perspective the Inspire 1 is 'end-of-life'. (i.e. no further development)

'Obsolete' would be the term to use come the day that parts, accessories or consumables are no longer made available by the manufacturer. As to when DJI makes that call, no idea but I doubt that they would cease parts support that early.

What we need is someone to start refurbishing TB's with new cells, props and such we can get aftermarket. Motor bearings can be swapped out. Then as long as you don't crash, you'll be golden for ages.

I appreciate all the great responses, just a footnote the P4 has now bit the dust. Of course new products are great but I'd like a little more shelf life because I believe it would encourage great aftermarket products. There's very little incentive to produce those items if the manufacturer simply makes them defunct every few years. Again just a thought process, probably flawed! BTW I wish folks could discuss religion and politics as intelligently and gentlemanly as our members here. But that's another story!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool