Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Would adding an extra payload of 274g on Inspire 1 Pro damage motors?

Reaction score
Website
www.flyinghorseimaging.co.uk
Where I fly locally is all controlled airspace, either ATZs or MATZs. I have permission to operate with cooperation of the controllers but in one MATZ I have been asked whether I can be seen by manned rotary A/C? Hitherto my response has been no but I am thinking of attaching 2 Lume Cubes in strobe mode (bought for other photographic purposes) using their Inspire 1 3-D printed mounts. I realise these would have to be attached caerfully to ensure COG is maintained and that I would pay the penalty of reduced endurance (already woefully low with a heavy X5 slung below).

So my question is, am I likely to root the motors with the extra weight? Answers/suggestions gratefully received from the Cognoscenti on here!!

Where I fly locally is all controlled airspace, either ATZs or MATZs. I have permission to operate with cooperation of the controllers but in one MATZ I have been asked whether I can be seen by manned rotary A/C? Hitherto my response has been no but I am thinking of attaching 2 Lume Cubes in strobe mode (bought for other photographic purposes) using their Inspire 1 3-D printed mounts. I realise these would have to be attached caerfully to ensure COG is maintained and that I would pay the penalty of reduced endurance (already woefully low with a heavy X5 slung below).

So my question is, am I likely to root the motors with the extra weight? Answers/suggestions gratefully received from the Cognoscenti on here!!
Simple answer - No, you will be fine.
There are many on the forum who are already flying those kinds of additional payloads by carrying extra batteries on board.

As always, the caveats will be, it will handle differently, more current will be drawn from the batteries on climb outs etc so obviously your flight times will reduce.
I would also advise keeping an eye on battery temps if pulling some long climbs although the 'propulsion output' limits would probably kick in to protect the battery.
COG will not really be an issue since the flight controller will adjust to take care of things.

One final point - just make sure the MTOM isn't anything over and above anything you have stated in your ops manual. :)

Simple answer - No, you will be fine.
There are many on the forum who are already flying those kinds of additional payloads by carrying extra batteries on board.

As always, the caveats will be, it will handle differently, more current will be drawn from the batteries on climb outs etc so obviously your flight times will reduce.
I would also advise keeping an eye on battery temps if pulling some long climbs although the 'propulsion output' limits would probably kick in to protect the battery.
COG will not really be an issue since the flight controller will adjust to take care of things.

One final point - just make sure the MTOM isn't anything over and above anything you have stated in your ops manual. :)

Thanks! Good point about MTOM.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlesssouth