Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X3 fixed zoom lens

Reaction score
For inspection purposes I am looking for a zoom lens to replace the stock one in my X3. If we forget the balancing problem (please do), what specs do I need to look for? I need a 16 mm or 20 mm lens with M12 thread.
I read that I need to look for a IR cut lens, but looking on aliexpress I get confused, what does the following all mean?:
1.2" 1/1.8" 1/2.5" (I guess sensor size, but will only one work?)
2, 3 or 5 mega pixel lens (how are they different??), fixed iris, hd ip camera, ccvt.........
So which one will work? Are the $10 China lenses the same as the expensive ones sold locally? They all look a like.

If you have an Inspire 1, unless you are very very handy with DIY electronics, here are your only choices for a zoom: the Z3, the X5 with an Olympus or Panasonic MFT zoom lens, or the very pricy Z30 Zenmuse Z30 - Closing the Distance If you have to ask the price of a Z30 it is not for you. There is no way I know of to retrofit a zoom lens into an X3.

The only current zoom fully supported on the X5 is the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 EZ. What that means is that you theoretically can control the zoom setting from the ground controller. DJI rates that lens for still photography.

If you are interested in using a different zoom lens, then you are going to have to do some custom work on the gimbal if the lens is wider than the 14-21, and you are going to have to investigate how to control the zoom setting. Might want to look at the DJI Focus, but that is also pricy.

As to your other questions, I have no idea why you were told you needed an IR cut filter.

The numbers you quoted are sensor sizes. Here is a Wikipedia article that might clarify some issues for you: Image sensor format - Wikipedia

The one thing to know about cameras is that you get what you pay for, and the best camera is the one you have with you.

Finally, I question whether you really need a zoom for inspection work. Yes, it makes sense, and yes, those pictures at the Z30 page seem to make the case that inspection and zooms go together. But, a zoom doesn't do anything other than get closer. If you have an Inspire then think about getting a second person to work the camera so you can fly closer. Also, with a X5 camera on the Inspire 1 you can use an Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm f/1.8 and get some very close in photos. Or, with the 16 Megapixels from the X5 you have some room to crop in post-processing, and get what is a cheap equivalent to digital zoom.

Finally, be aware that the more you zoom in, or the longer the lens being used, the more your images will be affected by gimbal stabilization issues.

Reactions: George Templeman
Thanks a lot for the extensive info. I now see that my question was not clear. I really meant to say: can I exchange the original lens for a lens with a higher focal length? And what are the specs to look for.
Here is what I found out so far. Sensor size is 1/2.3 (6.17 x 4.55 mm). And original 35mm equivalent is a focal length of 20mm.
There are lenses for sale on Aliexpress like this one:
AliExpress Mobile - Global Online Shopping for Apparel, Phones, Computers, Electronics, Fashion and more
Will such lenses (or slightly smaller) attach to the X3 camera?
In my experience a small sensor combined with optical zoom lens will always beat a larger sensor with a smaller lens (if you are ooking to capture small details).

I urge you to spend time on the Peau Productions website DJI Inspire 1 X3 Lenses – Peau Productions where they have a video of doing exactly what you ask, and they have a range of lenses that you could put in the X3. Call them. I don't think you are going to get a zoom lens, however. If you have your heart set on a zoom lens for the X3, I recommend getting a Z3 and selling your X3, or get an X5 and the Olympus 14-42.

Hi
For inspection purposes I am looking for a zoom lens to replace the stock one in my X3. If we forget the balancing problem (please do), what specs do I need to look for? I need a 16 mm or 20 mm lens with M12 thread.
I read that I need to look for a IR cut lens, but looking on aliexpress I get confused, what does the following all mean?:
1.2" 1/1.8" 1/2.5" (I guess sensor size, but will only one work?)
2, 3 or 5 mega pixel lens (how are they different??), fixed iris, hd ip camera, ccvt.........
So which one will work? Are the $10 China lenses the same as the expensive ones sold locally? They all look a like.
hi if you search on you tube zoom lens for X5 there is a guy that's fitter a 45 to 150 but also to 100 mm as well it's interesting watching

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez