Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X3 or X5?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm coming from a Turbo Ace Matrix (great quad, great photos, good video) and looking for an easier setup that doesn't take 20 minutes to unpack etc. Inspire looks like the perfect solution! I am concerned however that if I opt for the X3 I might be disappointed I didn't buy the X5 (looks like the loss would be $1000 for the upgrade over the long run) I am curious if you X3 users are very happy with video quality, or in my shoes would go straight for the X5. Money is an issue, but I could hustle for the extra 2k - Thanks for any input, look forward to joining the team :)

Hi guys,

I'm coming from a Turbo Ace Matrix (great quad, great photos, good video) and looking for an easier setup that doesn't take 20 minutes to unpack etc. Inspire looks like the perfect solution! I am concerned however that if I opt for the X3 I might be disappointed I didn't buy the X5 (looks like the loss would be $1000 for the upgrade over the long run) I am curious if you X3 users are very happy with video quality, or in my shoes would go straight for the X5. Money is an issue, but I could hustle for the extra 2k - Thanks for any input, look forward to joining the team :)

Controversial topic really. You'll get hit and miss opinions especially since the x5 just started shipping earlier in the week.

I'm happy with my x3, I shoot mainly video and see no real improvement worth the asking price of the x5. Some people are practically jizzing their pants over the x5 and think it's going to a godsend. Another option to consider is following the Osmo release, there is a newer x3 released with that one (different camera, my guess is newer sensor) and can shoot [email protected] like this feature much more the only catch is that x3 isn't compatible with the inspire (my guess is we'd need a fw update, which who knows if we will get that update or not)

Pictures, however, will be fantastic and that's where the x5 will ultimately shine. Is in the hands of photographers, the ability to focus and changer aperture will go a long way in getting your look in camera first.

If you don't own an inspire at the moment and know you can make your money back, go for the x5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronboy
Don't waste your time with an X5 or X5R!
Just marketing hype. You don't need RAW for straight Television, only if you are shooting a Spielberg film and the footage is used in the film to be seen at a movie theatre screen and only a movie theatre screen where it is setup to look the way THEY want you to see it.
By the time video for TV gets crunched in editing, cable or satellite distribution and then aired on a consumer TV where 99 percent of people leave it at Factory presets, the RAW footage from the X5R will look EXACTLY like the X3 footage.
Don't waste your time and money on that marketing hype!
Even UK DOP Philip Bloom says the same thing. Check it out!

Don't waste your time with an X5 or X5R!
Just marketing hype. You don't need RAW for straight Television, only if you are shooting a Spielberg film and the footage is used in the film to be seen at a movie theatre screen and only a movie theatre screen where it is setup to look the way THEY want you to see it.
By the time video for TV gets crunched in editing, cable or satellite distribution and then aired on a consumer TV where 99 percent of people leave it at Factory presets, the RAW footage from the X5R will look EXACTLY like the X3 footage.
Don't waste your time and money on that marketing hype!
Even UK DOP Philip Bloom says the same thing. Check it out!

Even so...you wouldn't want DJI version of raw, they aren't a camera company...and I don't know a production that would want it either unless the operator is providing the footage on the cheap.

Thanks for your replies everyone! @steelkite , I agree the early release footage of the X5 looks very comparable to the X3. I have a drone that works great for photos using a DSLR so it's mainly video I am after. Having slept on it, I think buying a Phantom 3 Pro might be the direction I go. I would like to start taking risky shots (distance, ocean, forest etc) without the worry of hurting the bird and from what I can see (assuming you are a skilled pilot) the footage looks fairly comparable, and the P3 would allow me to hike into more reomote places or tour out with the boys and get some rad backcountry footage. So cheers everyone and thanks for the advice!

Reactions: Vipernuke
Hey
I'm not sure if I can believe these comments...
Sorry but the x5 trumps all over the x3...
I have flown the x3 for over 50 hours now - and have 1000's of photos and hours of film...
On the first flight with the x5 the difference was staggering... Especially with photos....
Anyhow - just my two tuppence worth!
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drones are what I call "Blue Skies & Green Grass" machines. What this means is most of the time, you will be shooting at a distance to where the added benefits of a high-end camera is lost. At 50-100 feet, a car or a person looks exactly the same regardless of which camera (X3 or X5) you’re using. In most cases you’re not going to be doing any close up work with a drone.

Possibly 98% of the guys using drones are shooting “Just Stuff” the other 2% are doing real work with their drones, so unless you fit in that 2% you’re pretty much wasting your money with the X5, I’ve compared the stills and video and I can’t see any difference at distances shot from a drone. Good shots from a drone are more on the creative side of setting the shot, lighting, contrast and post production.

The worst part is your Inspire will belly flop and crush your camera just the same whether its an X3 or X5, with the X3 you’ll cry a lot – where if you have an X5 - slitting your wrists might be less painful. With this in mind, the X5 on the Inspire for most of us is a waste of money and a much bigger risk for the dreaded inevitable crash.

While DJI will brag the X5 is light years ahead of anything else - the truth is the X5 is more for the pilot’s ego, or for showing off to the client than for performance. The mere fact you spent thousands extra on the X5 will brain wash you into thinking your images and video are better.

Bottom line - anything you can shoot on an Inspire with a X3 or X5, I’ll shoot on a Phantom 3P with identical results. There is nothing you can do with the Inspire with an X5 that I can’t replicate with the Phantom 3P. In addition, since I’ll only have a grand invested makes me a better flyer because I have less “Worry Factor”.

So unless you're doing high-end feature work or working in a low light condition, the Inspire X3 or a Phantom 3P will do the job. Keep in mind - no director is going to let you fly that close to the "principle’s face with a drone" to appreciate the extra quality of an X5, so we’re back to Blue Skies and Green Grass again!

Regards Mike

i had a chance to play around with ny buddies x5 over the weekend and to tell you the truth i don't see any diffrence other than the x5 was really a pain to get the subject into focus and when you use the auto focus feature it kinda half focuses the subject in the foreground will be in focus but the background will be terribly out of focus imho I'm staying with my x3. the x5 is not for single pilots you need to have two pilots to fly and one to do the camera otherwise its a no go. and i don't see any difference in quality of video/stills. personally i think the x3 was much clearer and vivid with the color saturation
just my 2 cents

Reactions: jixxer
The X5 footage will look really nice on your computer screen or TV at home but once it is aired on TV, with all the cable and satellite compression, it will look exactly like the X3 footage. Consumer TV's are not like monitors or expensive Edit monitors. They can't handle the graded footage post houses feverishly work on in the edit suite.
Since your finished product most likely will be for a TV client or network, the X# will be perfect.
If your main goal is to just look at it at home or make 16 mp prints at home, then the X5 will work for you.
Just don't get caught up in the hype and marketing the manufacturers are doing in order to sell more gear.

i had a chance to play around with ny buddies x5 over the weekend and to tell you the truth i don't see any diffrence other than the x5 was really a pain to get the subject into focus and when you use the auto focus feature it kinda half focuses the subject in the foreground will be in focus but the background will be terribly out of focus imho I'm staying with my x3. the x5 is not for single pilots you need to have two pilots to fly and one to do the camera otherwise its a no go. and i don't see any difference in quality of video/stills. personally i think the x3 was much clearer and vivid with the color saturation
just my 2 cents
Isn't this a simple matter of depth of field? I assume this would be just like any stills camera.

The X5 has a noticeable jump for photo work, but for video work the X3/X5 look almost identical. Mainly because the X3/X5 use the exact same compression and frame rates.

Almost every video comparison on the X3/X5 has proved this.

Thanks for this. I'm also trying t prove to people the same thing.
Once it is aired on TV, there is no discernible difference.
The X5 series is good only if you plan on watching at home or making prints.
Once it goes to edit and broadcast on TV, no difference.

Thanks for this. I'm also trying t prove to people the same thing.
Once it is aired on TV, there is no discernible difference.
The X5 series is good only if you plan on watching at home or making prints.
Once it goes to edit and broadcast on TV, no difference.

How many times in this forum do you have to make this completely inaccurate comment?
It's like you have some vendetta against the X5, were you fired from the development team or something?

How many times in this forum do you have to make this completely inaccurate comment?
It's like you have some vendetta against the X5, were you fired from the development team or something?

I have no vendetta. I am just stating the truth here. My comments, as evidenced by some of the other posters in this thread also confirm what I am stating. Are you upset that you wasted $2500.00 on a camera that really isn't making much of a difference when aired on television programs?
It's your own fault for being a sucker, not mine. Why don't you go and cry to momma!
Enough already.

I have no vendetta. I am just stating the truth here. My comments, as evidenced by some of the other posters in this thread also confirm what I am stating. Are you upset that you wasted $2500.00 on a camera that really isn't making much of a difference when aired on television programs?
It's your own fault for being a sucker, not mine. Why don't you go and cry to momma!
Enough already.

Yes, enough already is right. I'm not upset about anything, I haven't even got the camera in the mail yet, which is part of my point. As many as a handful of people on here actually have one, and of those only a few clearly know how to use it properly, so before blasting the forum with your ridiculous mission to discredit the X5 for TV use, why don't we all exercise a little patience and see what the footage actually looks like in the proper hands.
Question: do you have the X5, and if so, have you shot any footage on it?
If not then you have absolutely no credibility in this thread or any of the myriad you have posted in already.

Reactions: Figbar
Yes, enough already is right. I'm not upset about anything, I haven't even got the camera in the mail yet, which is part of my point. As many as a handful of people on here actually have one, and of those only a few clearly know how to use it properly, so before blasting the forum with your ridiculous mission to discredit the X5 for TV use, why don't we all exercise a little patience and see what the footage actually looks like in the proper hands.
Question: do you have the X5, and if so, have you shot any footage on it?
If not then you have absolutely no credibility in this thread or any of the myriad you have posted in already.

Using it properly is one thing and using it to impress TV clients is another.
Even footage from an Alexxa will not look different on TV than if it was shot on a less expensive camera.
You are in denial when you think it will. TV compression will undo most of the grading one has done in post and distributing it through cable or satellite will degrade it even more.
So, my suggestion is to be aware of this before spending $2500.00 to $7,000 on the X5 or X5R systems. That's all.
I do agree, the camera is better. No doubt about that. It would be good for motion theatre release (X5R) but not for TV.
It never ceases to amaze me that some of you think that the X5 is the answer to filming with the Inspire1 for TV. Well, as an experienced DOP for 25 years, it is not!
The X3 is perfect for Television as it is. Add a few ND or polarizer filters and with a possible upgrade to 60p in the future, the X3 will be a dynamite system for the Inspire1 for some time to come!

I will not make any more comments about this here.

Using it properly is one thing and using it to impress TV clients is another.
Even footage from an Alexxa will not look different on TV than if it was shot on a less expensive camera.
You are in denial when you think it will.

This is simply one of the worst pieces of information I've seen posted on the internet. Even with God awful youtube compression it is easy to see a camera outshine another especially in the realm of dynamic range. Even if they are compressed to hell and back it's very apparent if there is a lack of detail in the shadows or a sunny window that's blown out to a white mess. For someone that wanted to throw out Philip blooms name you should know that. A huge portion of his professional work is online continent. I'm pretty sure he would disagree that all HD cameras are created equal. I find it very hard to believe you've ever made a living in the video world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207