Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X3 Shutter Speed

Reaction score
I've dialed down the in-camera sharpening as per "best practices" but it seems like I am still getting footage that is a tad soft but if you increase the sharpening that gives that harsh over-sharpened look... So I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on increasing the shutter speed; does this give the footage a bit more crispness? For example; if I am shooting 4k 24p would a 1/60th shutter (or even higher) do the job or is it a bad idea?

Don't think I've ever heard of shutter speed and crispness being related. Aperture and crispness? Sure. And could aperture be affected by shutter speed? Yup. So, in that sense, they can be related.

Think about your question in that sense: wide open aperture can reduce the sharpness of some lenses.

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

Don't think I've ever heard of shutter speed and crispness being related. Aperture and crispness? Sure. And could aperture be affected by shutter speed? Yup. So, in that sense, they can be related.

Think about your question in that sense: wide open aperture can reduce the sharpness of some lenses.

--Brent
Play 5 Multimedia, LLC

If you have a fixed aperture as in the X3 you can only control the image exposure by ISO or shutter speed. If you set the shutter speed lets say to 1/60 and the camera is on a moving object such as an Inspire 1 you are probably going to have an unsharp/uncrisp image depending on available light. If you can set the shutter speed to lets say 1/125 or 1/250 your chance is much greater to get a sharp/crisper image if you have sufficient light.

If the camera is on a perfectly still tripod and not vibrating and flying in the sky, the above will typically will not apply.

I think what SanCap said was more or less what my thoughts were; that possibly a faster shutter *may* reduce motion blur thereby increasing perceived sharpness / crispness of the footage. Perhaps even making post-sharpening more effective??

I was reading the PDF from my Polar Pro filters and they say you should try and use a shutter speed of twice the framerate, does that sound correct?

Reactions: SanCap

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk