Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X4S vs. X5S

Expensive question

While considering the Inspire 2, is the X4S good enough for semi professional footage and use the remaining cash for extra batteries?
Or is the X5S a must

So the answer to your question is a matter of opinion, and mine is yes, it is a must. The p4p+ has the same sensor as the x4s, and wth the 4 you cannot change lenses to get different perspectives. You also cannot utilize the high quality proress and cinemadng capabilities of the machine, so you are missing out. If your gonna go big, then go big all the way! This is my advise.

Reactions: dec and dkotinsky
Good point. Although I will not use the ProRes. I love FCPX but not at pro level. I use Color Finale, Coremelt and some others. But usually in 4K only

If you aren't going down the raw video route then your advantages are mainly just (and it is a big just) down to being able to switch out lenses. How important this is to you will depend upon what you are doing. For example with sports the advantage or running a 50-80mm (equivalent) lens can be huge, however for landscape work you might find the X4S takes you a long way. Of course, if your getting paid for your work then time and customers will help you pay for the upgrade in time...

Reactions: spinny02
As I do most of my work related filming in Africa, I use the Mavic Pro because it's very compact.
At home I do landscape and some of my bike buddies. Some off road riding and mountain roads. But this in Europe and specially the alps....
So, no high-tech sports
However, I love color grading and post editing in FCPX

I have both X4S and the X5S the X4S is very capable camera and for non paid work is excellent all round results. Its easy to mount and need no lens calibration just simply mount and FLY

If you really need professional results then get the X5S but it will get expensive with the many different lenses you may need, and lens calibration adds extra time to the pre mission flight set up.

Also you get extra flying time with the X4S. To be honest the X5S only comes out of the box if i'm being paid for the flight and the customer demands specific images. In most cases they cant tell a 4K image from the X4S to the High end ProRes from the X5S

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
I have both X4S and the X5S the X4S is very capable camera and for non paid work is excellent all round results. Its easy to mount and need no lens calibration just simply mount and FLY

If you really need professional results then get the X5S but it will get expensive with the many different lenses you may need, and lens calibration adds extra time to the pre mission flight set up.

Also you get extra flying time with the X4S. To be honest the X5S only comes out of the box if i'm being paid for the flight and the customer demands specific images. In most cases they cant tell a 4K image from the X4S to the High end ProRes from the X5S

Thanks, really helpful. Logic prevailed again. And extra batteries

I can only afford to buy the I2 with the x4s at the moment, plus I'm looking to squeeze more flight time. This leads me to bounce back and forth between the p4p and the I2 all the time. The camera will very much suffice for the work I do and will be a large upgrade from my P3 camera. However, the craft does figure in too. Regardless that the camera is the same between the two, the crafts are immensely different in terms of flight power and I also need the upgrade from a phantom craft. Depending on the hour, even the minute sometimes, I'm set on the I2 and then I start leaning towards the p4p, lol. It's insane. I opted for a phantom when I really wanted the I1 when that came out. If it were just the I2 and there was no p4p the decision would be simple- finally get my inspire big boy. But that pesky p4p and the lower cost keeps making this a tough one. What time is it? Oh yeah, it's I2 time lol. Two hours from now it'll be p4p time. Good grief.

I can only afford to buy the I2 with the x4s at the moment, plus I'm looking to squeeze more flight time. This leads me to bounce back and forth between the p4p and the I2 all the time. The camera will very much suffice for the work I do and will be a large upgrade from my P3 camera. However, the craft does figure in too. Regardless that the camera is the same between the two, the crafts are immensely different in terms of flight power and I also need the upgrade from a phantom craft. Depending on the hour, even the minute sometimes, I'm set on the I2 and then I start leaning towards the p4p, lol. It's insane. I opted for a phantom when I really wanted the I1 when that came out. If it were just the I2 and there was no p4p the decision would be simple- finally get my inspire big boy. But that pesky p4p and the lower cost keeps making this a tough one. What time is it? Oh yeah, it's I2 time lol. Two hours from now it'll be p4p time. Good grief.

Good point. I don't have economical issues, just the misses. I fly a Mavic and love that thing. But I want an upgrade in quality. Film quality, not flying quality. The MP does his thing. Specially with Autopilot (which I love to use/program).
I don't use it to earn a living but sometimes do "a favor" to my dealer when they do ride outs or off road inductions. So, the I2 with X4S it will be.

I think

I have to say, I bought the I2 with the X4S. I used it a week and then went back and exchanged for the X5S. I like the ability to add filters. This appeals to the photographer in me. I might not make a dime from my setup but I got want I wanted. Motto of the story, get what you want. Life is short.

Reactions: XapacheGuy
I have to say, I bought the I2 with the X4S. I used it a week and then went back and exchanged for the X5S. I like the ability to add filters. This appeals to the photographer in me. I might not make a dime from my setup but I got want I wanted. Motto of the story, get what you want. Life is short.

You can buy filters for the X4S ... Polar Pro and others make them

You can buy filters for the X4S ... Polar Pro and others make them

True Dr. Jon. I guess I should have elaborated a bit more. I looked at the Polar Pro and I didn't like them. Also I felt that at some point in time I may want to buy additional lenses and the X5S facilitates this. And to be honest, I just wanted an X5S so I bought one.

What I have come to appreciate is the I2's ability to produce great results in windy conditions. This is something that the P4P cannot compare...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell