Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

X5..12mm & 15mm FOV Comparison..

Discussion in 'Zenmuse X5' started by Steven Powter, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Steven Powter

X5..12mm & 15mm.. FOV.. Comparison...
    The DJI 15mm lens has a zoomed in effect ... Olympus 12mm has a more normal distance... a good variety of choice for different photos... be careful flying close FPV with the 15mm as it is much harder to judge distance ...

#1 Steven Powter, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. protorox

The 12mm seemed to be in focus a lot better. Is this just because of not calibrating it or does it generally focus better?

3. MrDrone

That's a huge difference.

4. Steven Powter

Yep your right about the focus protorox... i had the same settings on both lenses... personally... i think the 12mm Olympus is the better lens...

5. Steven Powter

I was surprised to MrDrone.. looking at them side by side you can see the 12mm is a better lens... the image is not distorted like the 15mm...

6. MrDrone

A wider glass will be easier to focus. I wonder how many people will dump the DJI 15mm and get the Olympus 12mm :p

7. Steven Powter

I think a lot of photographer's would favour the 12mm... the 15mm would have its place as well ...

8. Casey Preston

Both the 12mm and the 15mm are wide angle lenses. Technically, the 15mm is closer to a normal lens from a photography perspective. It looks like the 15mm was focused past infinity and both appear to be stopped down past their optimum IQ. I don't think this test should be used to dismiss the 15mm, but I agree that the 12mm is probably a better lens for it's intended use.

9. Steven Powter

It was not the best time to do the test (just before dark) .. i was more focused on the different FOV.... just had time to grab these 2 takes... the FOV is important to me... as i do a lot of FPV flying... i have a lot to learn on how to get the best out of these lenses...

#9 Steven Powter, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  10. Steven Powter

Thanks Slim... i think it was interesting to see the different FOV side by side.. for me it was a way of understanding the lenses a little more...

11. apsussex

12mm is the better lens for sure, a bit sharper and certainly controls flare better, and the fact you just just manual focus to infinity on the lens itself really helps. I had the Panasonic 15mm version which is exactly the same as the DJi (just rebranded). the 15mm will have its place, but personally I much prefer the 12mm. I even chucked a Samyang 7.5mm on the x5 to try and it worked perfectly, obviously ultra wide with the fisheye, doupt it`ll ever get used, but its cool to know it actually works!!

12. MrDrone

@Steven Powter
    Out of curiosity, can you share the f-stop used on those videos and ISO?

13. Steven Powter

Sorry mate it was late, i was rushing and concentrating on the FOV...i did not take much notice of the settings.., the light was poor ....not the best conditions to show image quality ...