Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5R editing on Mac, get an eGPU

Reaction score
I just setup an external GPU for my Mac Pro and the performance gains are real. No more having to use OpenCL to edit but now able to leverage CUDA in Premiere Pro while working in OSX. An eGPU kills the D700 FirePro and its all able to be connected through Thunderbolt. If you want a faster editing workflow, especially working in raw well now there's no excuse.

Attachments

• GPU_gains.png
    GPU_gains.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
I just setup an external GPU for my Mac Pro and the performance gains are real. No more having to use OpenCL to edit but now able to leverage CUDA in Premiere Pro while working in OSX. An eGPU kills the D700 FirePro and its all able to be connected through Thunderbolt. If you want a faster editing workflow, especially working in raw well now there's no excuse.
Doesn't exactly look elegant though! :p

Think the problem is PP. There are other NLE's that have been able to tap into CUDA for years.
Premiere is a bit slow to the feeding bowl.

Is this a mac native build (with mac drivers for the card) or are you running on windows through bootcamp?
Are you using an external PSU?
Is that an AKiTiO 2 case?

Doesn't exactly look elegant though! :p

Think the problem is PP. There are other NLE's that have been able to tap into CUDA for years.
Premiere is a bit slow to the feeding bowl.

Not elegant at all, had to bend the case back to fit this massive GPU card. But it lights up so it looks cool on my desk haha.

Is this a mac native build (with mac drivers for the card) or are you running on windows through bootcamp?
Are you using an external PSU?
Is that an AKiTiO 2 case?

I'm running strictly OSX on this (10.11.6), no windows. And yes I'm using a 500W PSU, but you really only need a 400W PSU. And the Akitio 2 case is the best bang for your buck, only caveat is you have to use a PCIe riser or bend part of the case back to fit larger Nvidia Cards (like mine).

Richard are you seeing gains in your editor with it? I'm waiting on Nvidia to release mac drivers for the Titan X and I might consider upgrading :)

Definitely much faster render and export times. Very happy with it. I'm also running it in Mac and all i lose is the apple logo on boot up (just get black screen) then everything is normal. I also have a Apple card in there, think its a GT120 for when I need to do Operating Software updates so I just unplug the GTX do the update and plug it straight back in. I think there may even be space to fit a 2nd in there which I'm thinking about. Got it from these guys - www.create.pro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnieTret