Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5R Video "The West in Winter" filmed entirely with the X5R. Links and download provided.

Thanks very much for posting this Ian. This will help out a lot of fence sitters no doubt.

Early results look promising. Now of course, DJI could screw that up in one foul swoop with one of their cack handed firmware updates.

I would still like to see full paint/colour matrix options as well as knee and slope settings in there. I'm not sure whether they are still using a dynamic knee point in the X5R.
Control over the horizontal and vertical sharpness parameters would be nice along with frequency but we can't have everything at this price.

Let's hope things only improve.

One more question if you have the time to answer - did you test the 1080p60 setting at all?

I am not yet a pro but looking foreward to becoming one and seeing this footage gives me inspiration on going on this path. I do not know you personally like some or all in the list at the end of this awesome footage but wish to be able to do so in future. I consider myself a pilot rather than camera operator but still, the amount of knowlidge i have is i believe suffictiant to say: This footage is absolutly wicked and awesome.
I am looking forward and working for the point to where I can get my own X5R and use it in film making as it delivers the quality needed which is great to see.
thank you for sharing this which I can show to and convince customers and be able to say, the s900 won't go that fast or fit in that spot with this image quality.
keep it up and thank you again. - I want to have one camera like this !!!! :) -

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all so much for such kind comments! I really appreciate you taking the time to watch and provide feedback :)

InterMurph - I am curious about the 512GB SSD. How much footage fits on it?

I need to double check but I think around 30 minutes or so.

gruvpix- But I would also be very curious to know what your ISO was set to on that final shot, I would love to be able to get a usable image at 800 iso, I feel that is not asking a lot for a camera of this price and specs, but look forward to your response. Did you test the 1080p60 setting at all?
I'll need to go back and check ISO, don't remember off hand. I haven't tested the 1080p60 yet since my main focus is 4K. I'll try to check it out here soon.

Predator- if we can use it with the Osmo im buying one.
I'm reasonably confident that, given the upcoming X5/X5R Osmo adapter, the X5R will work with the Osmo sometime in the near future :)

Great footage, is there any different compression-ratios to choose from?
I don't believe so, it takes a lot of on board processing to compress RAW files (hence why the RED is essentially a massive processor attached to a large heatsink), so they've opted to just store the RAW and you deal with it afterwards.

Ok. Completed.

First, Ian, great work. Great shots and great landscapes. I wish I could have been there :)

The criticisms:

1) Under exposed in general, I see where you had to really push things to get a decent exposure in post.
2) Some blown out highlights, likely as a result of the first point.
3) Some noise in the darker areas, again likely due to the first point and/or the 100Mbps render.
4) Your color grading selections weren't to my taste (Kodak-Old-School-LUT base), but that's a personal thing

However, I saw your post on RCG about the histogram being wired to the SD card output. Agree the histo should be wired to the SSD output for X5R.

The praise:

1) NO ARTIFACTING - VIRTUALLY PERFECT on the 4K Sony wall-sized TV.
2) See #1!!!!
3) Color info was deep and rich. No "color pixel blocks" inherent in 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 .

Overall, the X5R output I see here is simply gorgeous. TWO THUMBS UP.

Glad I pre-ordered. Now the wait. :)

Exposure looks dead on to me, for RAW footage. That's just how you expose RAW—use a histogram and save the highlights. I don't quite get your second point—under-exposing saves highlights, and saving the exposure in post is just a matter of the grade—maybe this was a quicker grade and a few small details were missed?

Great footage, is there any different compression-ratios to choose from?
If you download the samples from DJI's site you'll see there is no "video" treatment whatsoever - it simply stores each frame as a separate DNG photo.

Looks really great.

If you download the samples from DJI's site you'll see there is no "video" treatment whatsoever - it simply stores each frame as a separate DNG photo.

Looks really great.

This is pretty standard. It's a format called CinemaDNG and it's used by all the non-compression cameras, like the Black Magic.

I think an interesting test would be to fly a waypoints mission with an X5, and then fly it again with the X5R. Same bird, same light.

All, I finally got a chance to upload an example DNG sequence. This is a 6 second DNG sequence shot at Castle Valley. It's a 1.7GB zip file, and will unzip to almost 3GB. No idea how long this will remain available on my server, may try to add a dropbox link at some point here. Bear in mind, at a 1/80 shutter there is some motion blur in the frames. This is intentional because image sequences, when played as video, are more pleasing with a touch of motion blur (thus the typical 180 degree shutter rule). So, if you look at individual frames one by one they're not going to be as sharp as a normal still image shot with a higher shutter speed. Also, if you're importing to premiere, make sure premiere recognizes the sequence as 29.97, not 23.98. It was shot 29.97 but every now and then Premiere doesn't import it correctly. Just go to conform and manually set the interpret rate.

Here ya go :D: www.iancresswell.com/downloads/x5r/X5RDNGCastleValley.zip

All, I finally got a chance to upload an example DNG sequence. This is a 6 second DNG sequence shot at Castle Valley. It's a 1.7GB zip file, and will unzip to almost 3GB. No idea how long this will remain available on my server, may try to add a dropbox link at some point here. Bear in mind, at a 1/80 shutter there is some motion blur in the frames. This is intentional because image sequences, when played as video, are more pleasing with a touch of motion blur (thus the typical 180 degree shutter rule). So, if you look at individual frames one by one they're not going to be as sharp as a normal still image shot with a higher shutter speed. Also, if you're importing to premiere, make sure premiere recognizes the sequence as 29.97, not 23.98. It was shot 29.97 but every now and then Premiere doesn't import it correctly. Just go to conform and manually set the interpret rate.

Here ya go :D: www.iancresswell.com/downloads/x5r/X5RDNGCastleValley.zip
Thanks for all of your information - in your behind the scenes/interview, what do you have your camera on that its dollying back and forth?

Hi Ian

Very nice sequence. Would it be possible for you to check if the RAW 4K footage is really recording at a bit rate of 1.7Gbs as DJI advertised?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido