Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!
Reaction score
I recently picked up an X5R and have been very impressed with the results so far but trying to get the best from the RAW video files I am recording. Current workflow was to pull off the RAW DNG sequences via Cinelight and then import into Premiere Pro CC2015.3. I have tried both the Premiere Compatible and standard DNG sequences and both seem to work fine. My biggest issue is that the dynamic range, particularly the highlights, seem to be clipping and basically unsalvageable when compared to the actual .dng file when brought into Adobe Camera RAW (ACR). This also happened when bringing the footage into DaVinci Resolve 12.5 which I found peculiar. I have heard that as these are DNG sequences rather than CinemaDNG sequences that is why this is happening. I tried bringing the footage as a DNG sequence into After Effects which triggers ACR and allows me to make all the full RAW editing adjustments I had expected to be able to. Trouble is that this applies the settings to the first frame and doesn't allow you to adjust later frames without key framing etc. I also tried just exporting out of After Effects in a lossless codec and then importing into Premiere Pro. This did give me some more latitude in the dynamic range but still not quite as good as I hoped. I really hope that Adobe and DJI can work together to streamline the workflow for this impressive camera. If anyone has any advice then I'd be really grateful.

I recently picked up an X5R and have been very impressed with the results so far but trying to get the best from the RAW video files I am recording. Current workflow was to pull off the RAW DNG sequences via Cinelight and then import into Premiere Pro CC2015.3. I have tried both the Premiere Compatible and standard DNG sequences and both seem to work fine. My biggest issue is that the dynamic range, particularly the highlights, seem to be clipping and basically unsalvageable when compared to the actual .dng file when brought into Adobe Camera RAW (ACR). This also happened when bringing the footage into DaVinci Resolve 12.5 which I found peculiar. I have heard that as these are DNG sequences rather than CinemaDNG sequences that is why this is happening. I tried bringing the footage as a DNG sequence into After Effects which triggers ACR and allows me to make all the full RAW editing adjustments I had expected to be able to. Trouble is that this applies the settings to the first frame and doesn't allow you to adjust later frames without key framing etc. I also tried just exporting out of After Effects in a lossless codec and then importing into Premiere Pro. This did give me some more latitude in the dynamic range but still not quite as good as I hoped. I really hope that Adobe and DJI can work together to streamline the workflow for this impressive camera. If anyone has any advice then I'd be really grateful.
Rather than start another thread, please use the search function on the forum as there are numerous threads on the X5R workflow already people are using both with and without After Effects.

Thank You

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry