Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5R Workflow Notes

Good news Damon! Thanks for following up on the Pemiere Pro issue. I'm a software engineer, and I know how difficult it can be to get an engineering team to pay attention to an external issue.

Thanks!

Yes, but my boss maintains a list entitled "internal people to ignore when they ask for help on their pet projects". I'm glad you're not on that the equivalent list at Adobe!

Yes, but my boss maintains a list entitled "internal people to ignore when they ask for help on their pet projects". I'm glad you're not on that the equivalent list at Adobe!

I maintain that list for my engineers, yeah. It's mostly comprised of product managers :)

I got a note from the Adobe Premiere eng manager yesterday that he's now fixed the issue where the normal X5R DNGs exported from CineLight wouldn't import. (I'd sent him a plea and a sample DNG sequence from my X5R).

So once that fix ships in an Premiere update you should be able to edit the plain X5R CineLight DNGs directly in Premiere.

Good job, Damon. It would be great if every issue were fixed so fast.

Reactions: damoncooper
I could not wait and bought the $45 slimRAW utility for Windows. If you check the PP CC compatibility box, the DNGs it creates come right into the current Premiere Pro CC version!

OK. So I have a big project booked that may require an X5R. Who can tell the main steps for setting up a Mac to dump and convert files? I want to get everything into ProRes 444 or similar as quickly as possible. We will need to dump 40+ flights worth of footage captured over 4 days.

OK. So I have a big project booked that may require an X5R. Who can tell the main steps for setting up a Mac to dump and convert files? I want to get everything into ProRes 444 or similar as quickly as possible. We will need to dump 40+ flights worth of footage captured over 4 days.

Step 1: CineLight to RAW DNG (not Premiere compatible).
Step 2: Import into Resolve and drag and drop all folders in the media pool onto a new timeline. Goto the Deliver tab.
Step 3: Export with "Individual Clips" option on, selecting your desired encoding options.

This is the fastest way to import and get to ProRes, making use of all the horsepower your machine has to muster.

Reactions: ianwood and Phatzo
So Cinelight to ProRes is no good? Can you use a card reader or do you have to plugin the camera?

CineLight is single threaded and horrifically slow at transcoding. Use it for DNG import only, which just makes it do the least work possible and is the fastest import option.

Resolve 12 is free, simple and has a kickass transcoding and rendering engine that rips through footage at unbelievable speeds, maximizing your HW.

Or FCPX I assume.

How long to import using a fast Mac, 1:1? 10 minute recording takes 10 minutes to dump? Is that using the USB3 reader?

CineLight is single threaded and horrifically slow at transcoding. Use it for DNG import only, which just makes it do the least work possible and is the fastest import option.

Resolve 12 is free, simple and has a kickass transcoding and rendering engine that rips through footage at unbelievable speeds, maximizing your HW.

Thanks for the tip on Resolve Damon, it's so much faster to work with this footage on the same hardware! I wish Premeire Pro worked like this

That's a safe bet. You can get 30-35min pretty easily in my experience.

That sounds good to me. I have been pondering over x5r section for a few days now as I am almost ready to pull the trigger. I have jobs coming up which I think would benefit with the x5r and it was just the workflow which worried me, but it doesn't sound that bad really. Just need to stock up on external HDDs for storage! SlimRAW sounds very useful too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudyLions