Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5s balancing rings, filters and hoods

ARF

Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a sections for X5s yet so I've put it here.

Does anybody know where to get the balancing rings, hoods and filters to balance the lenses on the X5s?

I've been having trouble finding the ones mentioned in the camera user manual.

Because the dimensions and lenses that are supported are almost the same between the X5 and X5s, my assumption is the same set of balancing rings, hoods and filters should work with the same compatible lenses. There is a lot of good information on the X5 forum on this topic.

So it all depends on what lenses you have but I ordered through B&H and Amazon.

Here is a link to a compatibility chart for the lenses supported by the X5. Hopefully when I get my i2 in my assumption that it will be close the X5 for balancing with the different lenses is correct.

X5 compatible lenses - updated list

Hi Rotofan,

Thanks for reply but they are quite different going on the tables in the user manuals. The required weights to balance are different and this makes sense given the hardware and centre of gravity will be different.

The X5s setup with dji 15mm is 69grams lighter than X5 with same lens per manuals.

Arrgh! Never easy is it. Well hopefully between the vented hood, weight, and filters I can come up with a combination that works with the two lenses I have. I guess I will have to experiment a little. Thanks for the tip in the manual.

ARF,
Just as a followup. And maybe I am missing something, but the total counter weight in grams seems to be the same between the X5 and X5s if I compare the two tables in the two manuals. For example, on the Zuiko 45mm/1.8 the X5s states you need a BR-37-8 (8 g) and either BR-37-6 (6 g) or a 6 g filter for a total of 14 grams. The X5 manual states you do not need a balancing ring but you need a 14 g filter which is still 14 grams total of counter weight. I guess proof is in the pudding when the i2 comes in.

Last edited:
I've got I2, 15mm dji and 45mm on the way so will find out soon enough but was hoping to have it sorted upfront and be ready to go quickly.

My reading of X5s manual is that the 6gm filter should also be used making it 20gms but your right we will know when we see them.

I read the following confusing sentences to mean that balancing ring(B) is only used if you don't have a filter. But who knows what they are really trying to say here o_O.

"Ensure to attach the balancing ring (A)/balancing cap and the balancing ring(B) simultaneously, as illustrated when using the Panasonic Lumix 14-42mm/3.5-5.6 HD, Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm/1.8 and Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm/4.0-5.6. Attach the filter when the balancing ring (B) is not in use".

Since I have the Zuiko 45mm lens I was going to try the following first:
  • 37-46mm Sensei Aluminum Step-Up Ring - 4g
  • Hoya 46mm Circular Polarizing filter - 12g
If it is 20g counter weight I was going to use the following:
  • Fotasy 37 mm tilted vented hood - 12 g
  • Hoya 37mm UV filter - 9g

all I did was to attach the hood and use small lead weights placed on the hood so that the gimbal remained level and didnt droop. I then weighed the lead and formed a counter balance lead weight and attached it to the inside of the hood with a small self tapper. Take into account the weight of the screw :)

Reactions: Rotofan
all I did was to attach the hood and use small lead weights placed on the hood so that the gimbal remained level and didnt droop. I then weighed the lead and formed a counter balance lead weight and attached it to the inside of the hood with a small self tapper. Take into account the weight of the screw :)

Rovboy,

Good suggestion. I will probably do something similar if my counter balancing setup does not work.

The list says Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm F1.8 "requires balancing ring" . . . unless its already on the lens, I've had no issues without it. Please don't reply that you are with DJI and my warranty is void . . . I'm enjoying this too much for that kind of joke ;)

Interestingly I discussed with DJI support to see what they could say to clear up the questions about their own product manual info.

There is no doubt DJI do some things well but I even had to send the support person a screen shot of the relevant part of manual. Then in the end they couldn't help and said I should contact sales.

Sales couldn't help as the dji balancing rings in the manual aren't available. Ahhhh. the best suggestion they had was just to keep an eye on the dji site.

It was worth a try to see if they could help, but I guess I'm new to some of this and what to expect.

Reactions: DECinHSV
Interestingly I discussed with DJI support to see what they could say to clear up the questions about their own product manual info.

There is no doubt DJI do some things well but I even had to send the support person a screen shot of the relevant part of manual. Then in the end they couldn't help and said I should contact sales.

Sales couldn't help as the dji balancing rings in the manual aren't available. Ahhhh. the best suggestion they had was just to keep an eye on the dji site.

It was worth a try to see if they could help, but I guess I'm new to some of this and what to expect.
[email protected] has usually competent answers while the chat doesn't.

The list says Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 25mm F1.8 "requires balancing ring" . . . unless its already on the lens, I've had no issues without it. Please don't reply that you are with DJI and my warranty is void . . . I'm enjoying this too much for that kind of joke ;)
If the camera droops when powered off then the gimbal will be constantly having to drive to keep the camera in the correct position. This will dramatically affect the life of the unit.

Hi Guys,

I have the X5S, Stock DJI lens, Olympus 25 and 45.

The Olympus 25 balances with hood only and no filter or balancing ring. I am not sure where that leaves us in terms of filters with a hood.

Any thoughts?

Anyone else using the Olympus 25? I guess our options are lens with hood and no filter or lens with filter and no hood. Lens, filter and hood will not balance. Am I missing something?

Anyone else using the Olympus 25? I guess our options are lens with hood and no filter or lens with filter and no hood. Lens, filter and hood will not balance. Am I missing something?
You can use it all but you will have to balance it, Google Blue Tac, very sticky puddy, you can apply some to the location of the camera that will static balance it.

You can use it all but you will have to balance it, Google Blue Tac, very sticky puddy, you can apply some to the location of the camera that will static balance it.

Thanks guys, there is another issue, however. The stock Olympus hood knocks into the Gimbal during startup. It goes into an endless cycle of hitting the Gimbal. The hood is too wide. It looks like the vented Fotasy hood suggested in the post above would also be too wide.

I apologize, I didn't notice the X5S in the title, I take back everything I said!!!

Hah! No worries at all. I should have put that in my post X5S, with Olympus 25 and stock Olympus 49B Hood. It is getting physically blocked near the end of its rotation. You would lose a few degrees and be fine if it would initialize, but it won't. Plus, it sounds and looks awful.

Hah! No worries at all. I should have put that in my post X5S, with Olympus 25 and stock Olympus 49B Hood. It is getting physically blocked near the end of its rotation. You would lose a few degrees and be fine if it would initialize, but it won't. Plus, it sounds and looks awful.

Probably a good reason not to mount the hood. :(

If you could mount the hood, you wouldn't be able to add any filters or balance ring, as the combination makes the X5S front-heavy. Best leave off the hood, it's not that useful anyway.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide