Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5s balancing rings, filters and hoods

I've received the X5S, 15mm and 45mm so I'll see what weight the 45 requires to balance. I've got the DJI 23gm balancing ring which is too heavy on it's own but I'll machine it down to correct weight if possible.

I noticed the 45mm is quite a bit tighter to lock into the X5S than the 15mm. Anyone else noticed this?

Now there is a X5S section I'm not sure if I can move the thread?

anyhow, I've balanced my 45mm using the 23gm DJI balancing ring meant for the 14-42mm lens and then machined it back until balanced. The final weight was 14gms.

Thanks guys, there is another issue, however. The stock Olympus hood knocks into the Gimbal during startup. It goes into an endless cycle of hitting the Gimbal. The hood is too wide. It looks like the vented Fotasy hood suggested in the post above would also be too wide.
Right - I really liked using the hood on the I1. I decided to cut a small oval in the part of the hood that hits during startup. Didn't have to cut too much out, but now I am wondering if I need a symettrical cutout on the opposite side... Anyway it does work as an option. I am talking about the LH-49B hood - and using the 25mm Olympus

Reactions: Feet Up
I've received the X5S, 15mm and 45mm so I'll see what weight the 45 requires to balance. I've got the DJI 23gm balancing ring which is too heavy on it's own but I'll machine it down to correct weight if possible.

I noticed the 45mm is quite a bit tighter to lock into the X5S than the 15mm. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes my Panasonic 14-42, oly 12, and ply 45 are quite difficult to "snap" in. The locking ring seems a little weird, too

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Right - I really liked using the hood on the I1. I decided to cut a small oval in the part of the hood that hits during startup. Didn't have to cut too much out, but now I am wondering if I need a symettrical cutout on the opposite side... Anyway it does work as an option. I am talking about the LH-49B hood - and using the 25mm Olympus

Nice. Mind posting up a photo of your mod?

Last edited:
I will probably not use the hood with a filter. I am thinking one filter for now, and see what I might need as I fly more.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1089593-REG

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

This one is about 8 grams and should balance the 25 without anything else needed (my understanding anyway).

Do you find that a 4-stop filter (ND16) is the most versatile? I've found a 3-stop filter seems to put me in the sweat spot when filming around 2-3hrs from sunrise/sunset allowing a mid range aperture. I don't film too often mid-day or in desert or bright locations.

As an update, the Olympus 45 balances perfectly with B + W filters. No hood. ARF, my 45 is also very tight. Disconcertingly tight, actually.

There doesn't seem to be a sections for X5s yet so I've put it here.

Does anybody know where to get the balancing rings, hoods and filters to balance the lenses on the X5s?

I've been having trouble finding the ones mentioned in the camera user manual.

Sorry to resurrect this thread. If anyone is in need of X5S Balancing Rings here in the US, we keep all of them fully stocked here in LA.

X5S Balancing Ring for Panasonic 15mm - Part 2
X5S Balancing Ring for Panasonic 14-42mm - Part 3
X5S Balancing Ring for Olympus 45mm - Part 4
X5S Balancing Ring for Olympus 9-18mm - Part 5
X5S Balancing Ring for Olympus 12mm, 17mm, 25mm - Part 6

Hi guys, I am still trying to figure out the correct set up for Olympus 45mm on X5S.
I am confused with the instructions in X5s manual
To properly balance, is it
1. 8g ring + 6g filter and no hood
or
2. no ring and 6g filter
can anyone clarify this please.
Apologies if this has already been discussed but I could not find it
Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads