Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S compatible lens and balancing thread

So I'm reading this thread and I'm a bit confused. First let me state that the I2 is my 1st Inspire, but I've had many Phantoms and have a Mavic. I have the X4S along with the X5S which I have not used yet due to weather. Which lens would you all suggest that will allow me to "zoom in" more than the X5S stock lens?

So I'm reading this thread and I'm a bit confused. First let me state that the I2 is my 1st Inspire, but I've had many Phantoms and have a Mavic. I have the X4S along with the X5S which I have not used yet due to weather. Which lens would you all suggest that will allow me to "zoom in" more than the X5S stock lens?

You need to get the Panasonic lumix 14-42 lens (picture above). That is your only option right now. It will work well in good light. Not so much in low light give the aperture limitations.

Yes. Per the diagram, either a 6gram or 17gram. Not sure why there are two different recommendations, but possibly due to extended and retracted lens zoom positions. Maybe someone who has it can chime in.
Note, if you plan to use a ND filter, then get one that's 6grams and do not use the balance ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that I'll wait for some other options...there's way too much "gray area" surrounding lenses and the X5S.
Thanks!

so I've successfully got my 15 mm, 25 mm and 45 mm to balance. my 15 mm takes 1 balance ring on front ( l lost any original one that may have come with my I2 but have a hoya ring that I punched out the glass which works along with lens hood, i remove the ring if i put a ND, my 25 mm is similar with a different ring i punched out the glass on a heavier B+W lens, and my 45 mm requires a counterweight, velcro to rear of camera with velcro on a weight..... anyone have a link to buy some balance rings so i can stop punching out my filters to make them on the fly when I'm In a crunch. I at one point had like 10 balance rings I purchased from a camera store....and over time they all did the magic disappearance similar to what my lens caps do..... trying to make this purchase online to make my life easy.

This is the exact one I purchased on Amazon because it was a better deal.

I have also purchased the Panasonic Lumix G 14-42 lens (part no. H-PS14042) but have noticed a problem with manual focus and wondered if this is a fault in my lens or whether other people are having the same problem?

Manual focus seems to stop responding as soon as I zoom in. The only way to regain focus control seems to be to switch back to auto focus.

Please can someone verify if manual focus is working for you at different zoom levels?

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Last edited:
Reactions: Lesmess
I plan on using the Olympus 45mm and read conflicting messages on other forums. The end result is consistent with both sites recommending 14g but this site suggests a balancing ring and the other does not.

In searching for filters, I am having difficulty finding filter weights. Is there an easy way to find out how much the filters weigh rather than buying them and weighing them or is there a data base of compatible, recommended filters with weights?

As a long time still photographer, I have never found a use for ND filters. I just change ISO, aperture and SS. I notice a lot of people using them in drone forums. Is this a recommended filter for video? What am I missing?

Thanks.

I plan on using the Olympus 45mm and read conflicting messages on other forums. The end result is consistent with both sites recommending 14g but this site suggests a balancing ring and the other does not.

In searching for filters, I am having difficulty finding filter weights. Is there an easy way to find out how much the filters weigh rather than buying them and weighing them or is there a data base of compatible, recommended filters with weights?

As a long time still photographer, I have never found a use for ND filters. I just change ISO, aperture and SS. I notice a lot of people using them in drone forums. Is this a recommended filter for video? What am I missing?

Thanks.
See this thread on the DJI I2 forum...I posted a similar question there:
Test of X5S with Zuiko Olympus 45mm

My Olympus 45mm balances perfectly with this hood from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRRBIYX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ND filters are essential for cameras like the X3 which have a fixed aperture. The ND filter is the only way to reduce the shutter speed in high light levels, which is essential to achieve a 180 degree rolling shutter for video work.

The benefit of using an ND filter with a variable aperture camera, such as the X5S, is that it allows you to open the aperture wider to provide a shallower depth of field.

I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyklev
My Olympus 45mm balances perfectly with a 37mm K&N UV filter plus this hood from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRRBIYX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ND filters are essential for cameras like the X3 which have a fixed aperture. The ND filter is the only way to reduce the shutter speed in high light levels, which is essential to achieve a 180 degree rolling shutter for video work.

The benefit of using an ND filter with a variable aperture camera, such as the X5S, is that it allows you to open the aperture wider to provide a shallower depth of field.

I hope that helps.

Geez...now that's the 3rd variation of mount the Olympus 45

My Olympus 45mm balances perfectly with this hood from Amazon:

I hope that helps.

Please note I have corrected my original post....

The 45mm Olympus only requires the lens hood.

It is the Panasonic 14-42 that requires the 37mm K&N UV filter plus the lens hood.

Sorry if this has caused any confusion .... note to self, don't post on forums after 1am in the morning!

Please note I have corrected my original post....

The 45mm Olympus only requires the lens hood.

It is the Panasonic 14-42 that requires the 37mm K&N UV filter plus the lens hood.

Sorry if this has caused any confusion .... note to self, don't post on forums after 1am in the morning!

No worries...as I said earlier, I just going to hold out for a while. There are too may conflicting variations and I hate ordering crap then exchanging it for something else.

Finally received my X5S (no lens). Seems DJI wanted to fulfill orders with the 15mm lens first [emoji37]

I was able to balance the following lenses as follows:
DJI Inspire 2 X5S Compatible lens List

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm F/2.0
> Bower HD UV (8G)
or
> Polar Pro ND8,16 or 32 Filter (6G)

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25MM F/1.8
> Bower HD UV (8G)
or

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 45mm F/1.8
> Sensei PRO 37-46mm Aluminum Step-Up Ring (4G) + Bower HD UV (8G)
or
> Sensei PRO 37-46mm Aluminum Step-Up Ring (4G) + Polar Pro ND8,16 or 32 Filter (6G)

Panasnic Lumix G Vario HD 14-42mm F/3.5-5.6
> Sensei PRO 37-46mm Aluminum Step-Up Ring (4G) + Tiffen 46mm ND0.9 Filter (13G)

Comments:
1) I prefer filters with threads on both ends to fit a lens cap. Unfortunately, most of the ones available are too heavy except Polar Pro which match DJIs specs perfectly.
2) Polar pro filters tend to require much cleaning due to form factor and have a slightly warmer cast.
3) I still need to get a heavier UV filter (13-15G) for use with the LUMIX 14-42 and step up ring.

130620ea9f0fd769d29af189424d6ce5.jpg
83266eefa709adad1460c5762955ace3.jpg
c40d849c76e465afd409d082967d2620.jpg
69d9e23a532f78419b99c0147eef36bf.jpg
871460d4de9e6e8a1538c0bf8094c123.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: videosophy
Finally received my X5S (no lens). Seems DJI wanted to fulfill orders with the 15mm lens first [emoji37]

I was able to balance the following lenses as follows:
DJI Inspire 2 X5S Compatible lens List

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm F/2.0
> Bower HD UV (8G)
or

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25MM F/1.8
> Bower HD UV (8G)
or

Panasnic Lumix G Vario HD 14-42mm F/3.5-5.6
> Sensei PRO 37-46mm Aluminum Step-Up Ring (4G) + Tiffen 46mm ND0.9 Filter (13G)

Comments:
1) I prefer filters with threads on both ends to fit a lens cap. Unfortunately, most of the ones available are too heavy except Polar Pro which match DJIs specs perfectly.
2) Polar pro filters tend to require much cleaning due to form factor and have a slightly warmer cast.
3) I still need to get a heavier UV filter (13-15G) for use with the LUMIX 14-42 and step up ring.

130620ea9f0fd769d29af189424d6ce5.jpg
83266eefa709adad1460c5762955ace3.jpg
c40d849c76e465afd409d082967d2620.jpg
69d9e23a532f78419b99c0147eef36bf.jpg
871460d4de9e6e8a1538c0bf8094c123.jpg
Thanks...this is exactly what I was looking for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez