Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5s on Inspire 2 vs P4P for still photography

Inspire 2 vs P4P for stills

• Inspire 2 (+ X5S)

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • P4P

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
Again larger sensor size doesn't necessarily mean less noise. For example Cannon, Nikon and Sony are using the same (Sony) sensors; but each company's (secret) algorithm applied to the sensor will achieve high ISO quality. It is not secret that Cannon or Nikon has better High ISO results than Sony it self with the same sensor.
Regarding the photos ,sorry you are right there is number of photo examples I overlooked ,to me all those examples so far I saw including those in this thread look like cellphone snapshots.

Again larger sensor size doesn't necessarily mean less noise. For example Cannon, Nikon and Sony are using the same (Sony) sensors; but each company's (secret) algorithm applied to the sensor will achieve high ISO quality. It is not secret that Cannon or Nikon has better High ISO results than Sony it self with the same sensor.
Regarding the photos ,sorry you are right there is number of photo examples I overlooked ,to me all those examples so far I saw including those in this thread look like cellphone snapshots.

apples and oranges..... you're comparing a software implementation to a physical hardware increase, a micro four thirds sensor will produce less noise than a 1" sensor at the same ISO..see chart below for an illustration.
Sensor-sizes_PhotoSeek.jpg

apples and oranges..... you're comparing a software implementation to a physical hardware increase, a micro four thirds sensor will produce less noise than a 1" sensor at the same ISO..see chart below for an illustration.
Sensor-sizes_PhotoSeek.jpg
I have no idea what are you talking about?
Could you tell me what costs digital noise using long exposure?

I have no idea what are you talking about?
Could you tell me what costs digital noise using long exposure?

I was saying in the context of comparing the P4P and X5S camera for still photography, sensor size is the most important attribute and the larger sensor in the micro four thirds camera does in fact make a difference. It can add an extra light stop for low light photography which can be the difference between getting and not getting the right shot in low light conditions.

digital noise is caused by a lack of light getting to the camera sensor. The camera sensor determines how sensitive the camera is to light, a larger sensor can collect more light. hope that helps.

to me all those examples so far I saw including those in this thread look like cellphone snapshots.

You have to download the raw .DNG file and open it with photoshop or another RAW editor. the view of the .DNG generated by dropbox looks odd.

Reactions: Cruncher
You have to download the raw .DNG file and open it with photoshop or another RAW editor. the view of the .DNG generated by dropbox looks odd.

Thanks a lot for your raw image examples. They are extremely helpful.

Can you also post a few longer exposures, around 0.5 to 2 sec? How well does the inspire 2 gimbal hand those?

I2 has a larger sensor and that means less noise
If u are a commercial. Photographer than u cannot compare a p4p toylens with a lens on the inspire. P4p is good for video thats are these drones are made for. Inspire x5 is good for both video and photo as it has exchangables lenses

The larger sensor definitely has a bearing on how much noise you get in a photo. If your going to be doing twilight there is no question but to go with the larger sensor. I read some where from DJI that the stability of the inspire can allow up to a 4 second exposure. I am sure that claim is for calm winds. You will have even more of an advantage with a faster lens at f/2. This means a 1 second exposure instead of 2 seconds.

Between the larger sensor and f1.7 lens options, the x5s had an almost 3 stop nose advantage over the p4p. Stabilization is similar, though perhaps slightly better on the Inspire. So you should be able to get 1 second exposures with either, perhaps even two with no wind.

I own both. I'd definitely take the Inspire 2 for your use case, if money and size are no object. That said, the P4P can do great blue hour cityscapes too.

This isn't a night shot but it can help you see the quality of the P4P. ISO 100 1/320 sec @5.6. For commercial use I would it depends on what sort of clients you have. For real estates you don't need that much but if you have demanding clients the difference between the P4P and I2 won't help, you would need a Matrice with a full frame camera. If you need practicality, any of the 2 would be alright. I2 is more stable and can change lenses.

Dropbox - DJI_0012.DNG

Going back to the shutter speed question, most reviews I've seen only did still photo comparisons in fairly well lit conditions. Can someone post some shots of the Imspire 2 at around 1 sec exposure? Thanks a lot!

Going back to the shutter speed question, most reviews I've seen only did still photo comparisons in fairly well lit conditions. Can someone post some shots of the Imspire 2 at around 1 sec exposure? Thanks a lot!

was a little windy today, got a 1 sec exposure when i went flying tonight, hope it helps

RAW untouched from camera
1 second exposure
ISO 100
f/5.6

Dropbox - DJI_0051.DNG

Last edited:
Honestly the difference in sensor size is noticeable. In Patrick's file you can see a lot of detail and low noise. For the Inspire Inspire1, even though the sensor size, cannot say the same thing. I had one and compared it to the new P4P and P4P is far superior, cannot say the same with the I2.

a larger sensor is going to be more sensitive to light, no? there are tons of sample files from an i2 on the site. If you can't find them, I've attached a 40MB RAW file taken this evening with X5S / Olympus 17mm untouched straight from the camera.

Dropbox - DJI_0299.DNG

I blew this up to 200% and it had the natural qualities of an image blown up this large, taken with an M4/3 lens. We are talking about a flying, shaking, moving camera that's mounted to a device that is doing its best to remain stable and in the same position. Reality has to enter the equation at some point. To get super sharp images with my DSLR over 2 seconds, I used a stable ball head, and tripod. To ask a flying vibrating platform to do the same is asking a lot. (my opinion)

Reactions: qnyla
Agree with the comments from deltalimatango on viability of 2 second exposures.

What is the application that requires 2 second exposures?

Reactions: PatrickP
Hi. I have the X5S with the DJI 15mm (30mm equivalent), but was considering getting the 12mm. Do you find the gimbal has no problems and is responsive? Thanks.
i believe he was referring to the 24mm from the P4P, i don't have a 12 myself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan