Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

X5S - Professional first impressions

Reaction score
We just took our I2 and x5s on the first job and I was very impress by the quality of the image and massively improved workflow.

We were flying the RAW camera until now and it was a total joke. The software was appalling and in general i never really liked the look of the image. Unless we were shooting a feature film the images would never get the quality grade they required. It was one part over kill and one part the biggest pain and slowest process in delivering the footage. Not to mention the plethora of technical problems we encountered with the system. Purple spots on the image and corrupt files etc etc.

We have the full licence so shot everything UHD prores. The x5s was the total opposite to the X5R. Straight out the camera the image looks amazing. The card transfer fast, hub and cards solid build. The drag and drop workflow couldn't be easier. (Just like a proper professional camera system).

I can tell straight away that this footage will cut with an Alexa totally fine. I hope they release more shooting options in ProRes soon. 50p at 1080 would be nice. It was great to be able to set the ProRes to log and have the preview with a bit of the LUT on. Easier to get a focus as well.

There are obviously a few little issue. Like the way the video gets split up on the app proxy files for fast preview. I understand why they are get cut in the pro res at 4gb but the proxy files are not cut up so why are the files saved to the GO app? very strange. Also, we kept having our setting restored to default after the system was shut off.

The additional battery life of the i2 was another noticeable improvement.

Over all thumbs up so far. I just hope it carries on being pain free so i can actually feel like I'm flying a pro system with a pro camera. Shooting another feature next month so will report back then.

The files on the app can be turned off with the "Video Cache" setting.

And from what I'm reading, the better way to do proxy files for editing would be recording to both the SSD and the SD at the same time. I believe the files would then be broken up the same.

Still waiting on an SSD, so I haven't been able to test yet.

Oh, yeah I was referring to the SD card file as the proxy files. The ones on the app are great for previewing, but they do split at the same time as the SSD files.

The Cache option is for you to quickly rewind and look at what you recorded while still in the air, it's not meant to be used for any videos as the quality is only a fraction of what X5s Captures and if the Lightbridge stutters or switches channels it affects the cached file too.

its not ideal if the video file on the cashe splits into a new file every 4/5 seconds.

is there an actual setup video for the X5S ? that goes into gimbal control and video settings ?

i can not get mine slow enough like the X5 , i do allot of roll back and downs and its like instantly on or of, i cant get it to creep on and have that real slow smooth affect as i roll up and pan away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marve84