Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Zenmuse Z3 does it work on Inspire 1 V1?

Still holding out hope on my Z3 Camera. I do not want to send it back, but I was out in the field working on this video production below when the Z3 failed me. Now my release date is missed, because I missed some shots. So, the problems were 1. No horizontal movement. 2. Tablet was locked in portrait position, even though it was set to adjust. So I did not want to risk anything and used my friends Phantom for the aerial shots. Hope you enjoy this.

New Go App out today try it and let us know if it improves things [emoji3]

There are a fair few reprints of Z3 issues but the odd person does have a good one, changing to custom channels and 4mbps seems to help some as does staying in 1080p but I'm really not sure how this left the stable behaving this poorly

8142d667f16d20eafd45552eef0dfe46.jpg

Reactions: Martin Dummelow
Just done a quick test and fingers crossed the video lag seems to have been fixed :) need to fly to really test it (crap weather) happy times...

Just done a quick test and fingers crossed the video lag seems to have been fixed :) need to fly to really test it (crap weather) happy times...
Yeh.... Can someone plz confirm that the video lag issues have been resolved with this app update.... Or do we still need to wait for an actual firmware update......

Probably like 99% of all DJI products - it has been rushed out of the door before it is ready and has production issues.

It appears there is a lot going on and this got pushed out among all of it, it's a shame history repeats it's self though, The Phantom line has been solid out the door for a number of releases now but cameras them selves they struggle with.

Hopefully it won't be to long.

It appears there is a lot going on and this got pushed out among all of it, it's a shame history repeats it's self though, The Phantom line has been solid out the door for a number of releases now but cameras them selves they struggle with.

Hopefully it won't be to long.
Well apparently , according to a distributor here in Miami, the problem is with actually with Sony. The z3 , along with the x3, is made by Sony....and this being the first "zoom" of its kind with such a small sensor, happens to be where the problem lies.... Hence the delay of the inspire 2, which was supposed to be launch around the same time as the z3, with the z3 as the stock camera.....:(

Well apparently , according to a distributor here in Miami, the problem is with actually with Sony. The z3 , along with the x3, is made by Sony....and this being the first "zoom" of its kind with such a small sensor, happens to be where the problem lies.... Hence the delay of the inspire 2, which was supposed to be launch around the same time as the z3, with the z3 as the stock camera.....:(

I would take what that distributer says with a pinch of salt.

Reactions: Phatzo
I have a brand new Matrice 100 with the X5 plate kit and a Z3 camera. I have been experiencing extreme lag while flying. It is so bad that I have to fly by the map view in the DJI Go App.

I am glad I found this thread because at least I know the problem is with the Z3 and not the Matrice.

Here are a few things I have noticed with the Z3 after 24 hours of ownership and 3 hours in the air.

PRO's:
The Zoom is pretty awesome. 3.5x is a lot of zoom from the air. I am shocked at how far out you can see.
When zoomed and the aircraft is stationary the image is very smooth.
As you would expect the image can get jumpy when zoomed and moving but it is actually much smoother than I expected.

CON's:
The zoom +/- is SLOW
The video lag is SIGNIFICANT, sometimes about 10-15 seconds delayed.
The on-screen zoom buttons are not ideal but I just learned that the C2 + left scroll wheel will also control the zoom.
Zoom magnification level is unclear. I have seen mine say 2x but nothing more, I am pretty confident it has zoomed further than 2x.
Firmware does not update (v01.09.01.30 released August 8th 2016). I put the card in and nothing happens out of the ordinary, no beeps or anything. I have reformatted, etc. and tried 3 times.
Image seems fuzzy on the screen in the DJI Go App but the recorded video was fine.
Low-light & night time focus is terrible. Car headlights throw the focus off big time.
Sometimes when I power on the Z3 doesnt initialize. If I move it a little by hand it wakes up and does its calibration.

OTHER:
Keep in mind if you are zoomed and rotate/pan the aircraft left or right the zoomed image moves VERY fast. Obviously this is part of having a zoomed image but it takes a little to get used to. Every move including gimbal pans up and down are greatly enhanced as far as how fast the image moves.

It does not look like you can use filters on the Z3

Hopefully a working firmware update is released soon because I think the Z3 has a lot of potential.

I have been flying Phantoms for a while and have been very impressed with them. The Matrice 100 is a different league with a lot of potential but I dont see it replacing my Phantoms for every day flying. Mostly because it is so large. I know the Matrice 600 is huge but the 100 is a lot bigger than I expected. I have a Flir Vue Pro 640 on the back of the Matrice and have the dual battery setup. I have a guidance kit but am not sure if I will use it.

I wrote the post above based on my Z3 experience with an Android tablet running DJI Go (I think v2.8.4). Tonight I ran the DJI Go on an iphone running the new 2.9 version and it was much better. The video lag (delay) still exists but not nearly as bad and most of the time I didnt even notice it was lagging. The zoom in/out was much faster.

Even at 1.5 miles down range @ 300-400ft elevation the video signal was pretty consistent. The video lag only seemed to happen over areas with high amounts of interference.

So that is good news. Hopefully there is an updated DJI Go app coming for Android.

I would take what that distributer says with a pinch of salt.
I would agree - the dealer/distributor is talking rubbish.
Powered zooms have been around for years with smaller sensors than on the Z3.
Additionally, although the sensor may be sourced from Sony, the camera is built by DJI.

Just wondering if you are still happy with your perfectly operating Z3 Mike. Wondering what you may be doing different?
cheers
Down to the last few days before returning my Z3. I have most kinks worked out, reinstalled the go pro app, stuck with the original sd card that came with the camera (not the normal one I fly with my inspire 1). So connectivity is good, lag is tolerable. Last problem is no left to right horizontal movement. I finally spoke with DJI support, and they said 2 things that make sense. 1. Go into advanced settings in gimbal and see if anything is 0'd zeroed out. If it is, move it. DJI states that it would move so super super slow that you wouldn't think its moving. 2. Secondly, they said downgrade the remote controller 1 version. I would like to know if anybody has had success with this. I am at work and will try tonight.

Down to the last few days before returning my Z3. I have most kinks worked out, reinstalled the go pro app, stuck with the original sd card that came with the camera (not the normal one I fly with my inspire 1). So connectivity is good, lag is tolerable. Last problem is no left to right horizontal movement. I finally spoke with DJI support, and they said 2 things that make sense. 1. Go into advanced settings in gimbal and see if anything is 0'd zeroed out. If it is, move it. DJI states that it would move so super super slow that you wouldn't think its moving. 2. Secondly, they said downgrade the remote controller 1 version. I would like to know if anybody has had success with this. I am at work and will try tonight.
All the issues I had with lag and break up have seem to disappear with new app update(with the exception, when filming in 4K...)
I never had issue with camera movement. I'm in the same boat as you, I have a few days to make my decision to keep or return

I wrote the post above based on my Z3 experience with an Android tablet running DJI Go (I think v2.8.4). Tonight I ran the DJI Go on an iphone running the new 2.9 version and it was much better. The video lag (delay) still exists but not nearly as bad and most of the time I didnt even notice it was lagging. The zoom in/out was much faster.

Even at 1.5 miles down range @ 300-400ft elevation the video signal was pretty consistent. The video lag only seemed to happen over areas with high amounts of interference.

So that is good news. Hopefully there is an updated DJI Go app coming for Android.

dji developed their app and software for apple products and that is also the reason why it working much better on IOS then on android. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the issues I had with lag and break up have seem to disappear with new app update(with the exception, when filming in 4K...)
I never had issue with camera movement. I'm in the same boat as you, I have a few days to make my decision to keep or return
I am keeping this Z3 Camera. I do not see any mechanical issues at this time. I got the c1 & c2 button working. I believe a transmitter calibration did the trick. No more loss of transmission. I am a Samsung Galaxy Droid user. I am glad I did not send this back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez