Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA 2way radio recommendations for commercial work communication on field.

Which TransReceiver brand would you go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree fully. A Manned aircraft hits an inspire 1 at 100+ MPH it can and will go through the windshield. In a case like that I would rather help people be safe. It would be a good idea to give direction your bird was last flying in and approximate speed and rate of climb so people have the information to make an educated decision.

It's not just us drone folks. I'll tell ya -- I live in the middle of Nobody's-Here-Ville Pennsylvania, and I've had sightseer helos doing 150 ft AGL over my house. Not squawking. At all. (I have FlightRadar24, no native ground-station ADS-B-In, yet) but nothing compares to a good set of eyes. See and avoid. Then try and scope their tail number ;) Bad judgement is not the sole purview of UAS pilots. This knucklehead was in a Bell 210 doing nap-of-the earth stuff over my mountainous terrain, I guess to impress his passengers. No doubt he was playing "Flight of the Valkyries".

Reactions: Skyward Imaging
I know you mention the Yaseu, but do you have any other suggestion too! Thanks

I went with the Yaesu, frankly, because it was the cheapest -- it's not something I need other than for monitoring (hopefully 100% of the time!). But a lot of other people I know use ICOM.

two way radio and transceivers are the same Transceiver is TRANSmitter reCIEVER

Now one thing to understand is how radio traffic works at a field and honestly you are better off to call on the phone especially if you are not a manned aircraft pilot

I was told this by the local ATCU manager, after I had a meeting with him to be placed on their approved SUA/SUSA operators list. This is a UK airfield though. I asked about buying a radio set and he said don't bother. Mobile phone comms is enough for them. When I intend to operate in controlled airspace I call, giving 1 or 2 days notice. If approved I then call them on the day of the flight op to let them know I am commencing operations. On completion I call to let them know I've cleared the area. My observer has a dedicated mobile for emergency comms, which the tower has should they need me. They give instructions to my observer and he relays them to me either via the radio sets we have for comms between myself and the observer or by talking to me if he's in earshot distance. He specifically said radio comms with the tower was an unnecessary cost to us and overkill.

Reactions: WilmerCB
If all you are doing is listening, most handheld scanners will receive airband no problem. An example on Amazon, no idea if it's any good or not, but you'll get the idea. Just make sure whatever model specifically says it will pick up air band frequencies.

I jumped the gun and bought a Yaesu FTA-230 before I knew that contacting ATC over the radio was not the way to go. I'll probably hang on to it, but use my old trusty Icom R-10 just because it is much easier to program/tune and runs on AA batteries.

If all you are doing is listening, most handheld scanners will receive airband no problem. An example on Amazon, no idea if it's any good or not, but you'll get the idea. Just make sure whatever model specifically says it will pick up air band frequencies.

I jumped the gun and bought a Yaesu FTA-230 before I knew that contacting ATC over the radio was not the way to go. I'll probably hang on to it, but use my old trusty Icom R-10 just because it is much easier to program/tune and runs on AA batteries.

Keep that Yaesu -- you never know if you submit an airspace auth or a COA/waiver to the FAA they might require you to at least have two-way comms *capability* in an emergency.

I agree fully. A Manned aircraft hits an inspire 1 at 100+ MPH it can and will go through the windshield. In a case like that I would rather help people be safe. It would be a good idea to give direction your bird was last flying in and approximate speed and rate of climb so people have the information to make an educated decision.

Any Particular procedure when calling by phone to ATC tower? Thanks.

I was told this by the local ATCU manager, after I had a meeting with him to be placed on their approved SUA/SUSA operators list. This is a UK airfield though. I asked about buying a radio set and he said don't bother. Mobile phone comms is enough for them. When I intend to operate in controlled airspace I call, giving 1 or 2 days notice. If approved I then call them on the day of the flight op to let them know I am commencing operations. On completion I call to let them know I've cleared the area. My observer has a dedicated mobile for emergency comms, which the tower has should they need me. They give instructions to my observer and he relays them to me either via the radio sets we have for comms between myself and the observer or by talking to me if he's in earshot distance. He specifically said radio comms with the tower was an unnecessary cost to us and overkill.

It's really just a case of calling a day or two before I intend to fly, giving them the location of the intended operation, dates and times etc. Then on the day of the flight I have to call again and let them know if I am flying or scrubbing. They keep airspace above me clear up to 1500ft, wherever possible. I know the legal operating limit is 400ft but they maintain separation. If they can't and need to move traffic through the airspace they've given me, then they call on the emergency number I gave them, give instruction and I have to act on those instructions. An example of when this could happen is when emergency aircraft such as the local police helicopter needs to transit through that airspace. The instruction could be to reduce altitude to a given value and hold position or to land etc. It works well enough. Then when I've completed the tasking, I call to let them know I've landed and ceased operations. The ATCU manager was great and has a really positive attitude towards commercial SUA/SUSA operations. He's happy to accommodate wherever possible but you have to work with them and follow the procedures they specify. I think if you invest some time in approaching people and are willing to work with them, it does pay off.

I like to use the finger ear method myself. You dial with your finger and put the phone to your ear. lol Just messing with you ROFL. all you have to do is call and talk to them just as you would be talking to anyone else. I usually will get acquainted with the airport managers prior to calling ATC if I have time. They like to hear that us Part 107 pilots are not just going to do as we please and it gives them a sense that you know what you're doing. Kind of breaks the ice a little. But don't bother doing this at large airports. Remember they are busy and so will the ATC and the Airport Managers. Remember to always be professional and Don't throw a fit when they tell you no on something like so many people do. If they are telling you no that means they have a reason.

I like to use the finger ear method myself. You dial with your finger and put the phone to your ear. lol Just messing with you ROFL. all you have to do is call and talk to them just as you would be talking to anyone else. I usually will get acquainted with the airport managers prior to calling ATC if I have time. They like to hear that us Part 107 pilots are not just going to do as we please and it gives them a sense that you know what you're doing. Kind of breaks the ice a little. But don't bother doing this at large airports. Remember they are busy and so will the ATC and the Airport Managers. Remember to always be professional and Don't throw a fit when they tell you no on something like so many people do. If they are telling you no that means they have a reason.

I forgot you can still dial with the finger! LOL!!! Thanks very much for your help!

It's really just a case of calling a day or two before I intend to fly, giving them the location of the intended operation, dates and times etc. Then on the day of the flight I have to call again and let them know if I am flying or scrubbing. They keep airspace above me clear up to 1500ft, wherever possible. I know the legal operating limit is 400ft but they maintain separation. If they can't and need to move traffic through the airspace they've given me, then they call on the emergency number I gave them, give instruction and I have to act on those instructions. An example of when this could happen is when emergency aircraft such as the local police helicopter needs to transit through that airspace. The instruction could be to reduce altitude to a given value and hold position or to land etc. It works well enough. Then when I've completed the tasking, I call to let them know I've landed and ceased operations. The ATCU manager was great and has a really positive attitude towards commercial SUA/SUSA operations. He's happy to accommodate wherever possible but you have to work with them and follow the procedures they specify. I think if you invest some time in approaching people and are willing to work with them, it does pay off.

Thanks for the help!!

Now, I understand most manned pilots' reticence about 107 operators having two-way radios -- they're worried about yokels with a Phantom 3 announcing on CTAF they're about to take off over their koi pond and spouting words of wisdom like "I like Turtles!" and poisoning frequency with random chatter. At the same time the FAA recommends you have a two-way radio for emergencies, and to monitor. Any truly professional 107 operator will have a two-way aviation radio, but will ONLY key that mic if they know they're going to have to file an NTSB report because they're in deep s*** already.
Anytime I am inside the 5 mile radius of an uncontrolled airport, I do 2 things, file a real NOTAM (accesible to all pilots) and send a brief blind call (N number, UAS, altitude MSL, location) on the airport's CTAF. As a licensed manned aircraft pilot I do know how to use a radio (Yaesu FT-550 w/ roof mounted antenna). Whether local private pilots "like it" is irrelevant,they do not own the air nor the CTAF. I see it as a CYA move. Any remote pilot should do the same, after getting with a local pilot and learning radio lingo/procedures.

Totally understood! and that would be my case (becoming a truly 107 pro and soon a Private Pilot too!) Just want to make sure I'm getting everything I'm studying on 107 and you hast just confirm what the Part 107 truly recommends and yes it emphasizes monitoring but only communication to CTAF un true emergency scenario. I'll be looking into models Icom, Vertex and Yaseu. Thanks!

" but only communication to CTAF un true emergency scenario."
That is only someone's opinion, no FAR prohibits a remote pilot from using a CTAF FREQ.

Anytime I am inside the 5 mile radius of an uncontrolled airport, I do 2 things, file a real NOTAM (accesible to all pilots) and send a brief blind call (N number, UAS, altitude MSL, location) on the airport's CTAF. As a licensed manned aircraft pilot I do know how to use a radio (Yaesu FT-550 w/ roof mounted antenna). Whether local private pilots "like it" is irrelevant,they do not own the air nor the CTAF. I see it as a CYA move. Any remote pilot should do the same, after getting with a local pilot and learning radio lingo/procedures.

I'm going to "violently agree" with you... however, any operator should ask "do I have an FCC license to transmit on this frequency"? Then all will become clear as mud.

I'm going to "violently agree" with you... however, any operator should ask "do I have an FCC license to transmit on this frequency"? Then all will become clear as mud.

"But the FAA told me so" is not an adequate excuse when Uncle Charlie comes and audits your s***.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu