Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

6 Facts DJI Didn’t Tell You About Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 2

Reaction score
It was bound to happen, the inevitable comparisons between the Phantom 4 Pro and the Inspire 2. With all the recent updates of the Inspire and the Phantom 4, one of the biggest factor is the camera. Both Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 2 now can shoot a timelapse with minimum interval between the photos of 2 seconds. On previous models minimum interval was 10 seconds. So now due to the more powerful image processor we don’t have to wait forever to create couple of seconds of timelapse.

dji-inspire.jpg

Reactions: Adam Papworth
May be it's a bit of a NOOB question, bUT. Why would you want to do time lapse wasting precious battery? You could just as easily film it and then remove a few frames...

What are the other 5 things. Although I think I knew this 'fact' already so it wasn't entirely new.

May be it's a bit of a NOOB question, bUT. Why would you want to do time lapse wasting precious battery? You could just as easily film it and then remove a few frames...

What are the other 5 things. Although I think I knew this 'fact' already so it wasn't entirely new.

because photos are much higher res and raw (even on phantom), the whole point of doing a time lapse is you can photograph long periods of time and present them across a few seconds @ normal frame rates, so flying for as long as possible would be desired anyway as time lapses are usually across hours, so even a full flight would equate to a pretty short time lapse video, but given its from the air, you'll get away with it as its still quite unique.

Reactions: deltalimatango
Hmm. Inspire 2 X5S RAW... apprx 30 minutes in the air.

I think you missed my point and I know plenty about res and the reasons behind using time lapse. I prefer my time lapse with say something like a GH4 on a tripod and lasting a number hours recording someone building something or watching a scene unfold like someone realising something.

With the finite time you have in the air it makes less sense not to just film in 4K RAW, grab it all while you can.

Hmm. Inspire 2 X5S RAW... apprx 30 minutes in the air.

I think you missed my point and I know plenty about res and the reasons behind using time lapse. I prefer my time lapse with say something like a GH4 on a tripod and lasting a number hours recording someone building something or watching a scene unfold like someone realising something.

With the finite time you have in the air it makes less sense not to just film in 4K RAW, grab it all while you can.

I didn't miss anything.
This thread is about the inspire 2 and Phantom 4 Pro and nobody (inc you) specified a specific set of parameters.

The P4 Pro only does raw quality on photos, so doing a video and reducing its frames would be inferior to doing it by raw photos. Less Dynamic Range + Colour depth = big difference.

Secondly, even the Inspire 2 only does the raw video if you fork out for the full version.

The bottom line is, you could do similar looking timelapses on BOTH machines if you used photos for the time lapse, but if your method was used, the phantom 4 pro and only the top level inspire 2 would compete with a photo.

Even then, a 20mp per frame image from a p4 pro would most likely be superior to a 5.2mp raw image video from an Inspire 2 raw.
And how much space do you think a 30 minute RAW video will take?
Vs a 30 minute timelapse with photos?

the photo method will use about 2.5 gig for a 30 minute timelapse.
A 30 minute raw video is going to be 100's of gigs. This would be less if DJI supported lower frames rates in camera, but since when is it ever desirable to capture something in less detail. The extra dimensions of the photo mean any movement could be cropped, something which is VERY likely if the thing is hovering for 30 mins.

(Figures based on approx 20mp raw image at 6 photos per minute across 30 mins.)

Either way, for someone looking to produce the best possible time-lapse, your method falls short across any of the p4 pro or inspire 2 raw configurations.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963