Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA 90 Days notice is insane for Part 107

Not sure what you are asking but it's rather simple. First, Part 107 requires you to be proficient with Aeronautical charts. Apps are useless for that purpose. This is a great resource: SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

"The problem is when I spoke to the FSDO last they said that anything that is in airspace, regardless of where the actual airspace starts (for instance, class E if it starts at 700' AGL) I would still need to fill out a COA and wait the whole long *** process..."
??? That makes no sense at all.

All airspace in the US is either controlled or uncontrolled. If you are in controlled Class E -700 or 1200 ft airspace then, yes you must apply for an authorization via the FAA portal. If you are in Class G uncontrolled airspace no COA is required.

You're 100% right about the aeronautical charts proficiency and I am attempting to find good resources to better educate myself on them. To clarify, when I spoke to my FSDO about some questions I had for them, during a conversation about airspace and the requirement for a COA the individual stated that if my job site appears in an airspace ring on a sectional chart then I am required to apply for the COA no matter where the airspace class starts height wise which I then stated makes no sense because if the airspace restrictions start at 700ft then why should I need a COA?

"if my job site appears in an airspace ring on a sectional chart then I am required to apply for the COA no matter where the airspace class starts"

Wow, that is a very ignorant statement to make for any FAA staff. What's the point of establising a National Airspace System then?

If you are a little weak on airspace there are a ton of videos on Youtube.
Would u like to cut and paste the section of the aeronautical chart you are planning to fly in here, using skyvector?

"if my job site appears in an airspace ring on a sectional chart then I am required to apply for the COA no matter where the airspace class starts"

Wow, that is a very ignorant statement to make for any FAA staff. What's the point of establising a National Airspace System then?

If you are a little weak on airspace there are a ton of videos on Youtube.
Would u like to cut and paste the section of the aeronautical chart you are planning to fly in here, using skyvector?

I can make that happen when I get home from the fulltime position. I agree that it was very ignorant and I was very disappointed with the information I was getting.

Edit : To add to my confusion when you look at the ArcGIS map for my area there's places marked 400, I can only assume that's 400ft AGL and does that mean that I don't need a wavier to fly there if it's marked that? God **** I feel stupid asking these questions...

You're mixing Apples & Oranges here.

That "Airspace Grid" is just a graphic depiction of what altitude they "might" approve in that specific sector. You always go by what airspace you're in and request a waiver for it. The grid just helps you to not ask for 400'AGL when it's clear they will only consider 200' in that sector.

You're 100% right about the aeronautical charts proficiency and I am attempting to find good resources to better educate myself on them. To clarify, when I spoke to my FSDO about some questions I had for them, during a conversation about airspace and the requirement for a COA the individual stated that if my job site appears in an airspace ring on a sectional chart then I am required to apply for the COA no matter where the airspace class starts height wise which I then stated makes no sense because if the airspace restrictions start at 700ft then why should I need a COA?
I have started to see a few instances of the FAA trying to deny access based upon "the possibility of a UAS entering controlled airspace due to a flyaway event" which is a pretty big what if scenario and a poor basis for denying access. If you are planning on flying in controlled airspace, you need authorization to do so...period. If you are flying in uncontrolled airspace you do not need the FAA's permission to do so. Those are their own regulations.
So if you are flying within regulations at or below 400ft AGL even though Class E airspace is above you starting at 700ft AGL, you are not required to file an authorization request until the FAA changes the rules.

Just to vent a bit here because I'm quite frustrated and confused by the varying information I'm getting from my FSDO and a few tower operators. I am a Part 107 pilot (currently have my temp, waiting on my hard card). I have quite a few places in my state (CT) I would love to fly, many of these are Class E, a few Class D... The problem is when I spoke to the FSDO last they said that anything that is in airspace, regardless of where the actual airspace starts (for instance, class E if it starts at 700' AGL) I would still need to fill out a COA and wait the whole long *** process...

Why though? If my max is 400 AGL and 400 above highest point, assuming I don't go over 700' AGL I should legally be able to fly without question....well according to them - I'm wrong?

Anyone have any input?

Edit : To add to my confusion when you look at the ArcGIS map for my area there's places marked 400, I can only assume that's 400ft AGL and does that mean that I don't need a wavier to fly there if it's marked that? God **** I feel stupid asking these questions...

The FSDO gave you some confusing information. If you're flying in an area designated as Class E - 700 feet, the airspace below 700 feet altitude is Class G space and requires no authorization. You couldn't request authorization for this location even if you wanted to - The form at the FAA portal doesn't even offer the option for submitting for a COA for any Class E space other than Class E-Surface.

Like you said, though, if you flew at 700 feet (like you were next to a tall building) in an area marked Class E - 700 feet, you would be in Class E airspace. I guess in that case you'd have to get a waiver because their form won't let you request an authorization for that scenario.

Yes it was extremely confusing and he was throwing me off which is the main reason I turned to the forums for some clarification. :) Thanks guys.

The FSDO gave you some confusing information. If you're flying in an area designated as Class E - 700 feet, the airspace below 700 feet altitude is Class G space and requires no authorization. You couldn't request authorization for this location even if you wanted to - The form at the FAA portal doesn't even offer the option for submitting for a COA for any Class E space other than Class E-Surface.

Like you said, though, if you flew at 700 feet (like you were next to a tall building) in an area marked Class E - 700 feet, you would be in Class E airspace. I guess in that case you'd have to get a waiver because their form won't let you request an authorization for that scenario.

This is my exact understanding of airspace also -- below the Echo at 700 feet is Gulf airspace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu