Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

ADS-B Surveillance System Performance with Small UAS at Low Altitude

Interesting reading on the future of UAS ADS-B. Here's a good primer on what ADS-B is.

Thanks for the article. I saw some rumbling earlier last year that ADS-B was on the way and I think it is going to be a requirement?? by 2020? I was planning on adding a unit for the I1 in my budget for next year possibly.

Interesting reading on the future of UAS ADS-B. Here's a good primer on what ADS-B is.

Good Find! Was originally researching SAGETECH and gave up. I was also interested and looking to purchase the combo kit just for piece of mind. That being said I'm still "Not Clear as to wether this strictly for licensed and/or hobbyists. I have No desire to take on a professional level, or for hire and work. I Love flying my I1 in doing private video and photographs. What I'm getting at is, not everyone flys at their local flyers club. Just researching facts and gathering ideas as I am very much interested in deploying my Inspire with the 2020/PingNav combo. How would One obtain an ICAO identifier and call sign? Is there exceptions due to safety? Would the FAA grant special N numbers for recreational use? I'm quite certain obtaining an actual pilots license would eliminate the need for questioning but should be addressed. I know casting NOTAMS on the Lockheed portal only applies to having COA and Flight planning. Any help or direction greatly appreciated!

Good Find! Was originally researching SAGETECH and gave up. I was also interested and looking to purchase the combo kit just for piece of mind. That being said I'm still "Not Clear as to wether this strictly for licensed and/or hobbyists. I have No desire to take on a professional level, or for hire and work. I Love flying my I1 in doing private video and photographs. What I'm getting at is, not everyone flys at their local flyers club. Just researching facts and gathering ideas as I am very much interested in deploying my Inspire with the 2020/PingNav combo. How would One obtain an ICAO identifier and call sign? Is there exceptions due to safety? Would the FAA grant special N numbers for recreational use? I'm quite certain obtaining an actual pilots license would eliminate the need for questioning but should be addressed. I know casting NOTAMS on the Lockheed portal only applies to having COA and Flight planning. Any help or direction greatly appreciated!
We are still quite a ways from incorporating UAVs with ADS-B into the national airspace and ATC.

Reactions: ExpressAerial
02c01b9f6ed575e05134a035d3d8e16f.jpg
4c56add616ee04fc69f7eeca4c55d258.jpg
19350f63ca9b3bdc12c96288f5728109.jpg
919fe87e674e9791c25588a8c2f4ad2c.jpg
3c70695eaed38e2bad1177c713296a74.jpg
2bab3bc175339ef41ccb6d11bfe61b0f.jpg
e35f4daeb068c36c44c30ac800340e15.jpg
223af02957f621fde8a7125c2ddde6b7.jpg
eff4975fbf851cb0fb70d0e4239895b8.jpg
a683366a7d7905c7355083960a25bc6a.jpg

uAvionix ADS-B equipped Inspire 1. More on this later as I'm still doing other tests. Obviously this does Not have interrogations but it's a step forward to sense and be seen in NAS. I've opted into this opportunity because of remote areas with No Cell coverage and deep and High mountain terrains. The cheaper route would be to send in a Notam, but in all Honesty I'll stick to the Hobby/Recreational side of things until the smoke clears and the FAA is clear as to how, when and more accurate COW's are obtained, I opted to stick to the easy plan. After all it is a hobby and I'm not one to take things for granted. I've been studying for my 107, and figured I'd learn all the basics and deep knowledge of Aviation[emoji6]! Lots of FREE TIME! May as well feed that long winded ego take flight. Anyways thought I'd share a step by step reality for those that do not know ADS-B is here and is still being engineered. Again, just throwing this out there, as I've made my first instructional video step by step on parts and ordering for DIY kit assemblies. Fly Safe, See and Avoid[emoji106]

ADS-B as a requirement for sUAS operations is still a long way off. It would be a great tool for the remote pilot and general aviation both, to ensure the safe use of the NAS and better maintain situational awareness but the FAA is still trying to come to grips with general aviation, let alone sUAS traffic.

Reactions: PB30X
... and how many people have tried using ADS-B receivers on ground stations and found it doesn't work.

I tried in the UK (south devon) and living under a flight path and routing beacon I expected to see every aircraft. I saw about 3. Until the receivers are powerful enough to obtain signals from all aircraft, this system is fatally flawed. I also noticed that no military aircraft showed up either, and there was a number of overflights during my time with the receiver turned on!

Getting an FAA N number and registering your UAS as a civil aircraft is a pretty simple process. The N number is your call sign, not sure what you mean by an ICAO identifier (other than ICAO airport codes?). All 3 of my UAS have N numbers since it was required under 333 (that seems like a loooong time ago).Keep in mind that the Lockheed portal UAS "NOTAMS" do not appear in the FAA's NOTAM portal pilots use to brief. In order to see your NOTAM posted in the NOTAM portal pilots use to brief , you must file it via the ENII system. I tried asking Lockheed why not and got a lot of double talk. Both NOTAM methods will show your flight on SkyVector. Just be aware if you want a real NOTAM to inform manned AC pilots of your flight here you must use ENII.

I haven't flown in a few years, if anyone knows this is wrong please enlighten me.

... and how many people have tried using ADS-B receivers on ground stations and found it doesn't work.

I tried in the UK (south devon) and living under a flight path and routing beacon I expected to see every aircraft. I saw about 3. Until the receivers are powerful enough to obtain signals from all aircraft, this system is fatally flawed. I also noticed that no military aircraft showed up either, and there was a number of overflights during my time with the receiver turned on!

Not sure about the rules in the UK, but here in the United States the FAA doesn't yet require all aircraft to provide position reports. I believe that will be a requirement by 2020 though. In addition there are several frequencies used, most common one for ADS-B is 1.09 GHz. The Flightaware website has a feature that pools data from several receivers in the same area and triangulate based on signal strength and timing. So there's a very good chance your receiver is picking up telemetry but because there's no position data transmitted it can't display the aircraft position.

Another issue with the rtl-sdr dongle based systems is the front end of the receivers are easily overloaded by nearby high power transmitters like radio and TV stations. You can buy a bandpass filter tuned for ADS-B frequencies and get much better performance.

Reactions: Thatius Dudeson
My understanding on ADS-B with sUAS is overwhelming the bandwidth and the power requirements for transmission are not up to the FAR specs. I know that the FAA is very concerned about ADS-B transceivers on sUAS. I do think that ADS-B in (receive only), which the Matrice 210 has integrated is the right way to go as it gives us UAS pilots additional SA without clogging manned aviation receivers with a bunch of sUAS. Ultimately it is our responsibility to stay clear of manned aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcusFalc