Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Air Africa (drone footage of Cape Town, Victoria Falls and more!)

Reaction score
A compilation of aerial clips that I shot while vacationing in South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana with my family. Shot in 4k with my Inspire 1 Pro and Phantom 4.

Reactions: BarryBittman
Great video, shots are smooth and well thought out, its well edited ..........but the music choice? WTF
Its the wide open plains of Africa .... not the hood!

Thank you for the compliments! As far as the music goes, I'm pretty sure an Alphaville sampled Jay-Z song is far from "hood music" but personally I don't spend too much time in "the hood" so I can't be sure lol. Also the idea for using this song came from the fact that they used the original Alphaville song in the "San Junipero" episode of "Black Mirror" (one of my favorite TV shows ever) which was filmed in Cape Town. I also kind of feel like the lyrics go along with timelessness of the locations filmed. All that being said, music is subjective I get where you're coming from. I could've went with some African drum based music or some slow epic sounding stuff but that would've been easy and kind of boring IMO.

Reactions: vern
You could also have gone with some music that is licensed to use!
Each to his own.
I used to be concerned with using licensed music until a buddy of mine who's a producer in LA told me not to worry too much about it. Contrary to popular belief, it is a common practice for actors (among others) to use licensed music for reels and I figure this isn't much different. Don't get me wrong I realize it's a grey area at best but I'm ok with that. On another note, I see that you are based in Kingston JA. I have family right outside of Lucy (near Negril). I'll be visiting them soon and though I've been to JA numerous times, I've never been there with my drones. Is there anything I should be aware of while flying down there?

I used to be concerned with using licensed music until a buddy of mine who's a producer in LA told me not to worry too much about it. Contrary to popular belief, it is a common practice for actors (among others) to use licensed music for reels and I figure this isn't much different. Don't get me wrong I realize it's a grey area at best but I'm ok with that. On another note, I see that you are based in Kingston JA. I have family right outside of Lucy (near Negril). I'll be visiting them soon and though I've been to JA numerous times, I've never been there with my drones. Is there anything I should be aware of while flying down there?
Great for you to come visit, (Lucea) its a cool place.
Couple of things you should be aware of flying in Jamaica.
A) Lucea is just at the start of the ILS approach for all commercial flights arriving into Sangster airport at Montego Bay. As you can imagine there is significant traffic.
B) All drone operations fall under the control of the JCAA ( Jamaican Civil Aviation Authority)
C) t is NOT legal to fly over private or public property without (A) Permission of the property holder (b) Written permission from the JCAA. without the permission you can be arrested and your equipment confiscated.
D) If customs at the airport spot your drone they will try to charge you import duty of about 85% plus taxes of the value of the drone. As an alternative they will require a deposit for 100% of the amount of customs to be paid in CASH. They will refund it when you leave in the form of a Cheque only able to be cashed in Jamaica! ( I have many instances of this happening, even had it happen to me when my inspire first came in on a private jet.
Jamaica jumped on these restrictive policies very quickly without any discussion with any interested parties. There are not many drones in Jamaica so they stand out like a sore thumb and the police often come to investigate. Jamaicans dont like being filmed at the best of times... my crews have had many bad situations filming for TV in public places. They don't generally like the drone thing.
One Other thing .... if you film for anything connected to any company you should get a work permit for the period you are her JAMPRO can arrange this for a fee of $300 US but in doing so they can also arrange for a temporary customs waiver.

Lastly ..... I'm involved in a US based record label ... we actively pursue any unauthorised use of our music library. I do take your point and for individuals no one is likely to really be affected .... but once its perceived to be a commercial operation in any way shape or form the gloves are off!

Have a great trip to Jamaica, I have links with all of the departments and minister involved with the above info and if i can help in any way let me know.

Reactions: SightGeist
Great for you to come visit, (Lucea) its a cool place.
Couple of things you should be aware of flying in Jamaica.
A) Lucea is just at the start of the ILS approach for all commercial flights arriving into Sangster airport at Montego Bay. As you can imagine there is significant traffic.
B) All drone operations fall under the control of the JCAA ( Jamaican Civil Aviation Authority)
C) t is NOT legal to fly over private or public property without (A) Permission of the property holder (b) Written permission from the JCAA. without the permission you can be arrested and your equipment confiscated.
D) If customs at the airport spot your drone they will try to charge you import duty of about 85% plus taxes of the value of the drone. As an alternative they will require a deposit for 100% of the amount of customs to be paid in CASH. They will refund it when you leave in the form of a Cheque only able to be cashed in Jamaica! ( I have many instances of this happening, even had it happen to me when my inspire first came in on a private jet.
Jamaica jumped on these restrictive policies very quickly without any discussion with any interested parties. There are not many drones in Jamaica so they stand out like a sore thumb and the police often come to investigate. Jamaicans dont like being filmed at the best of times... my crews have had many bad situations filming for TV in public places. They don't generally like the drone thing.
One Other thing .... if you film for anything connected to any company you should get a work permit for the period you are her JAMPRO can arrange this for a fee of $300 US but in doing so they can also arrange for a temporary customs waiver.

Lastly ..... I'm involved in a US based record label ... we actively pursue any unauthorised use of our music library. I do take your point and for individuals no one is likely to really be affected .... but once its perceived to be a commercial operation in any way shape or form the gloves are off!

Have a great trip to Jamaica, I have links with all of the departments and minister involved with the above info and if i can help in any way let me know.

Please forgive my misspelling of Lucea, it's been a while since I've been back but Wow! I initially wouldn't have thought Jamaica would be so restrictive but now that you mention it, I can see where many Jamaicans might take issue with drones (aka babylon) lol. Funny thing is that my Jamaican step father flies drones here in the states and loves them. That import tax is INSANE! I'm flying an I2 now so the 85% would hurt. Thank you for this information!! As far as the music goes I am not yet fortunate enough to call myself a "commercial operation" but I could definitely see how it would be perceived that way. Once I do go "full commercial" I will definitely a bit harder about using copywritten stuff.

Please forgive my misspelling of Lucea, it's been a while since I've been back but Wow! I initially wouldn't have thought Jamaica would be so restrictive but now that you mention it, I can see where many Jamaicans might take issue with drones (aka babylon) lol. Funny thing is that my Jamaican step father flies drones here in the states and loves them. That import tax is INSANE! I'm flying an I2 now so the 85% would hurt. Thank you for this information!! As far as the music goes I am not yet fortunate enough to call myself a "commercial operation" but I could definitely see how it would be perceived that way. Once I do go "full commercial" I will definitely think twice before using copywritten stuff.

Beautiful work. Apparently, your family never saw you on the vacation because you were flying all the time...lol... Really nice work....!

LOL, technically you could say that they saw me, just at great distances away. Thankfully we have an understanding which is that they usually go lay on the beach, shop or go eat and I fly. Thank you for the compliments on the footage!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cleaningbyjen