Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Angry neighbor!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Today I was flying like normal, doing some work for one of my clients, and I was taking a panorama and a couple of different shots majority of my shots were done over the street, and lots were big enough to the point where I wasn't flying over anyone else's property. This man is out working on his house, installing some privacy checkered board around his pool cage. Then he starts shouting things at me, at first I couldn't make them out so I continued flying. I want to get my bird down safely before I decide to have a conversation. So after I land he decides he's going to approach me asking me if I have a permit to be doing what I am doing. I said "I am part 107 certified by the FAA, I hold liability insurance and well I am photographing that house right there, however my drone didn't fly over anyone's property and my vehicle is parked on a public roadway. He then lashes out and says he's a pilot and what I'm doing is illegal and starts questioning me about my drone, what size lenses on there did you take any pictures of my home? He was trying to intimidate me and make invalid points. I kindly stated I am part 107 certified by the FAA, I hold liability insurance and I am flying in class G airspace per an updated VFR sectional chart. He said why just don't want any photos of my house, I realize everyone's going to make a living but this is ridiculous they will be banning this soon enough. That point I said "all right have a good day" as I was done with my shots. Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: vitjazzz and BennG
I get this quite regularly. Always by people who have no idea what they are talking about. It is to the point now where I am considering giving up realestate work except for acreage. Not worth the aggrevation for the amount I get out of it.

Yeap I did have this experience a couple of times,even in the middle of nowhere when somebody looked me up and told me he will shoot me down when I was around his house.Went to the police but that didn't give me a solution.
Things have changed the last 2 years.Right then people came up to me and asking all kind of things about what I was doing.Now people come up and tell me to f*ck up.And always complaining about privacy,but in the meantime share their life on social media.

I was shooting pics of a really cool building once. I was parked in their parking lot which was open to the public. A man came up to me very angry asking what I was taking pictures of. I answered a really cool building and an equally cool sunset. He then referred me to a security guard that had approached. He asked me for ID. I asked him if it was OK if I landed first, he said yes. I gave him my ID and offered to show him the pictures that I had just taken. He looked at them and loved them. He was truly amazed, but told me I had to leave because I was on private property. I didn't argue, saying I don't want any trouble. I'm sure the first guy was paranoid that I was peeking in the windows. I demonstrated to the guard that wasn't possible. I never went back to that address.
Here's the money shot from that flight:

xxxfc.jpg

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Not yet, but when I'm flying commercially I always put on a yellow safety vest, put cones around my truck, have my Icom CTAF radio on my hip, dress professionally, and occasionally wear a hard hat. This combination of cheap safety gear I bought on Amazon seems to put people at ease.

I've only had one old lady glaring at me as she repeatedly drove by a commercial property I was shooting, but all of my other interactions have been positive.

You got the shot, that's what matters!
Yes indeed. The security guard was blown away and agreed that there was no way anyone's privacy was violated.
Ironically, 2 months later, after it sold, I was working in that building dis-assembling a $35,000 conference table.

One of the nice things about using autonomous flight software is you don't need to be in front of the house. Whenever I suspect a problem, I go a block or two away and launch from there. You can drive by the house to get your beauty shots and mark your pano spot on your ipad, then drive away. Most people can't even hear your drone when it's up 100 feet, so they can't complain or even confront you.

Reactions: hlyes
Hi all FWIW, I've been approached twice by my local Police while flying at a small field near my home. I always carry my Part 333 exemption papers with me and that seems to work wonders. I'm also licensed to carry firearms and as the officer approaches I'm careful to make sure both hands are in plain sight and I do not do anything until I've informed the officer that I am carrying and ask how he or she would like to proceed. In both cases the Police were very cordial, I immediately offered my ID and weapons permit at the start of the conversation. Both times they stayed around for a bit to watch me practice and were asking many questions about the drone and flying them in general. As it turns out, I was contacted by the chief a few months afterwards to discuss the PD acquiring their own drone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Reactions: hlyes
Don't no the particular restrictions surrounding part 107 licensing but in Quebec/Canada my Standing Certification requires that I not fly closer than 500 ft to buildings, people or animals without permission from the owner. Flying over roads is not permitted withriad closer and clear warning signs. Seems like good manners to notify a neighbour if yr flying close to their property.

fly closer than 500 ft to buildings, people or animals without permission from the owner.

That sounds pretty strict! We can fly up to 150 metres of congested areas here in the UK, up to 50 metres to structures, people etc. that aren't under our control. What distances can you fly up to with permissions and the building etc. being under your control?

The secret to not getting hassled is to look official. Invest in a hard hat and safety vest. Purchase pilons and place them around you. If anyone enters that secured barrier you set up kindly ask them to step out and inform them that you will be glad to answer any of their questions when you are done. Never give anyone your identification unless they present their identification and prove that they have the right to ask you for your ID. A security guard does not have that right. Hope this helps.

I was shooting pics of a really cool building once. I was parked in their parking lot which was open to the public. A man came up to me very angry asking what I was taking pictures of. I answered a really cool building and an equally cool sunset. He then referred me to a security guard that had approached. He asked me for ID. I asked him if it was OK if I landed first, he said yes. I gave him my ID and offered to show him the pictures that I had just taken. He looked at them and loved them. He was truly amazed, but told me I had to leave because I was on private property. I didn't argue, saying I don't want any trouble. I'm sure the first guy was paranoid that I was peeking in the windows. I demonstrated to the guard that wasn't possible. I never went back to that address.
Here's the money shot from that flight:

AWESOME SHOT!

View attachment 11827

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegetour