Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Any tips for using the osmo on a pole and improving wifi range?

Reaction score
We tried to get some aerial effect shots today using a carbon pole, a bike and some patience.

The sweeps at a height came out great apart from the osmo taking forever to receive command and jumping all over due to intermittent signal. We got a few good ones in the end for 15ft maybe but im a bit dissapoointed at its range.

We also had the pole strapped to a bike and rolled it to get the movement we wanted but the footage sucked. Jumping all over the place to the point where i cant use it despite it been filmed on tarmac.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it smoother at height? And how to improve the completely pants signal strength of the osmo wifi?

Thanks
Mick

The wifi connection for the OSMO is not very strong and the range is quite small. The OSMO is really meant to be quite close to the android/IOS device to maintain a good connection. I thought there was a cord to use instead of the wifi connection but I've not used that.

Reactions: giumick
If you're using 2.4Ghz wifi on the Osmo, then try switching to 5.8Ghz, or vice versa. It may be that you had a 'noisy' wifi environment pulling the signal down. AFAIK, the Oslo is Wifi only, there's no cable connection (which would be useful sometimes!)

Reactions: giumick
Thanks for the input, i need to try changing bands to see if it helps yes as shots we have taken since also proved awful at height.

To be fair i am very very disappointed with its range but would i expect any less from Dji these days...... Certainly not.

However i wouldn't be surprised if the range is double on an ipad pro haha.

And the extension cables are out there but are a pathetic length so ultimately uselsss. I was hoping for 10-15m cable not 80". And does it work on the x5r...of course not you silly billy, that would be too sensible.

I think the only option out there potentially is to use a wifi signal booster powdered by a lipo.

3g/4g hub perhaps - you wouldn't need to use the 4g, just the wireless hub bit of it....

Would any wifi booster not work though? I thought 3g/4g was for mobile as oppose to standard wifi.

Ive found a nano unit that looks like itll do it :)

Last edited:
Yup, guess a portable booster would probably work. Mentioned the 3g/4g hub as quite a few people have them knocking around and they'd potentially be a quick fix without spending more dosh - they also have their own battery and are portable. You'd only need the Wifi signal bit, wouldn't need to cough up for 3G/4G GSM mobile.

Would any wifi booster not work though? I thought 3g/4g was for mobile as oppose to standard wifi.

Ive found a nano unit that looks like itll do it :)
U have used a mini wi fi booster up my mast with great results. run the 12v cable up it to power the osmo and the wifi and off you go

TC

We tried to get some aerial effect shots today using a carbon pole, a bike and some patience.

The sweeps at a height came out great apart from the osmo taking forever to receive command and jumping all over due to intermittent signal. We got a few good ones in the end for 15ft maybe but im a bit dissapoointed at its range.

We also had the pole strapped to a bike and rolled it to get the movement we wanted but the footage sucked. Jumping all over the place to the point where i cant use it despite it been filmed on tarmac.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it smoother at height? And how to improve the completely pants signal strength of the osmo wifi?

Thanks
Mick

Thanks
Mick
did you figure out how to boost that signal? if so how? i would like to do it too., thanks

did you figure out how to boost that signal? if so how? i would like to do it too., thanks

To be honest i have not pursued it any further yet but Dji have released a cable now that hard wires your devices to the x5r so im just waiting on one to land in the UK and thats the issue sorted.

The Wifi signal is absolutely pathetic on the x5r. If we are filming ground work and doing a sweep in a forest for example. My partner has to literally standard inches from the x5r to get a sweep without stutter. It has ruined alot of shots in the past when we didn't realise at the time.

Thanks
Mick

We have had great success with the new X5 extension lead. It takes a while to link up but once it does the link is flawless so im happy with it :) You need a high speed booster usb lead but we have had the camera 35ft up with this set up now and it has worked great.

Just watch out for power lines ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: NickU
We have had great success with the new X5 extension lead. It takes a while to link up but once it does the link is flawless so im happy with it :) You need a high speed booster usb lead but we have had the camera 35ft up with this set up now and it has worked great.

Just watch out for power lines ;)

Glad to know it works. Just a couple of questions about your setup. So you use the new hard wired connection that is available to the X5 along with a 35' or so usb wire? When you say it takes a while to make the connection - does it always make a connection but that it takes 10 seconds or so?

We are looking for a reliable extension for the OSMO and if the X5 can provide it with your setup. So far only using the OSMO+ X3 along with the wireless link.

Hi Blacksky, do you think iphone 7 has a more powerful wifu than say iphone 5s / ipad ?Apple give no Wifi range ino for thierproducts, and the Osmo's range is stipulated at maxm. 80ft (that's horizontal only, not vertically) ? Thanks

Hi Blacksky, do you think iphone 7 has a more powerful wifu than say iphone 5s / ipad ?Apple give no Wifi range ino for thierproducts, and the Osmo's range is stipulated at maxm. 80ft (that's horizontal only, not vertically) ? Thanks

Your devices wifi does not come into it as its the osmo handles signal it connects to. We have had good results working with the hardwire lead on the pole but it has stopped working again recently so we are back to square one with jumpy pans....Big round of a applause for Dji

This option worked for me on the extendable 30' fiberglass camera pole I purchased from WonderPole. I used my Osmo extender pole with the Osmo mounted on top of the WonderPole. I took off the mobile device holder and replaced with an old UltraPod camera tripod with the two extendable legs removed. Use a rubber band to strap to the UltraPod a USB-powered Meross Wireless Repeater/Range Extender on top of an Anker PowerCore 5000 USB power pack. I'm getting a solid 4 to 5 bars out of 5 wireless signal.

Hint about using a 30' pole: Don't mount your camera, extend the pole, then try to lift it up. Use a helper to hold the pole vertical, or use the trailer hitch receiver mount that WonderPole sells. Turn on your camera, lift the retracted pole / camera uni while keeping it vertical, drop into the pole mount. Then extend each section while keeping the pole vertical. A step stool is handy if your trailer hitch mount is knee high like mine...

IMG_5809.JPG IMG_5813.JPG

I designed a 3d printed mount for the x5r if anyone is interested in it. Just let me know if you want the Stl file

It replaces the last insert that would take a brush attachment etc usually. At the end of the day these are all window cleaning poles just some people pretend they are special photo poles and charge more. Its all about if its carbon fibre or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nickolas74