Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Anyone tried these catch handles?

Reaction score
Catch handles eBay link
Any good?

Looking for a solution to catching my inspire 2 from boats. So far we have been grabbing the belly, but like the idea of being able to use two hands to grab it.

I know DJI makes some, expensive for what they are but willing to purchase if people enjoy them and have good things to say.25807

I got these:

Which are nice. Smaller than the ones you are looking at, and pretty easy to install and remove.

And yes, $44 is a ridiculous ridiculous price for these. But I needed them, and couldn't find them elsewhere at a lower price.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donnie Frank
I got these:

Which are nice. Smaller than the ones you are looking at, and pretty easy to install and remove.

And yes, $44 is a ridiculous ridiculous price for these. But I needed them, and couldn't find them elsewhere at a lower price.
I'm an Industrial Designer as well as a certified Part 107 Pilot. I frequently see users remarking about the seemingly high prices of accessories like handles, floats, etc. As consumers, we are used to pricing levels for household products that sell 10's or 100s of millions of units per year. Because of those numbers, the manufacturing cost for them can be extremely low.

When you start making a product that has a much, much smaller customer base, say 100s or 1000s, the cost of making the parts goes up tremendously. I've developed several handy and useful drone accessories but I can't get the cost down below $75 so I've never made or marketed them. There seems to be a threshold that customers won't cross and it seems to lie below $50 for simple items without electronics. If you can't find off-the-shelf parts and kit-bang something together, you are left with 3d printing, cnc milling or casting parts. Those technologies are all human labor intensive, low yield and expensive.

To be able to make any money, i.e. a living, you must sell your product for 3 to 4 times what it costs you to make it. That covers overhead, taxes, insurance, etc. So, it's likely the seller of the handles has gotten the cost of production down to somewhere around $8-$15. The original manufacturer has to make a profit and so does the reseller. So, knowing that there are really only 1000s (if that) of potential customers for this product, I think that $44 is a fair price. Custom molds and tooling for an injection molded plastic part can cost upwards of $20K. You'd have to sell 2000 of them at $10 just to break even on the molds. No one can afford to stick their neck out that far for a product that may or may not sell. So, you are left making them in small batches using other methods. And, it just costs a lot more. Again, I think $44 is kind of amazing for this.

We all have to remember, this isn't like Walmart selling 20 million usb cables. At those numbers things are cheap to make. We are talking about a somewhat custom and made on demand product and it's expensive to do so. And to put it in perspective, if I'm flying a job that I'll make $1000 on, having handles that improve safety and only cost $44 is pretty darn cheap. I guarantee you, should someone get severely hurt from catching a drone without handles, you'd wish you'd have paid "any" price for a pair of simple handles.

I got these:

I have the DJI version and paid $130.00 with no regrets.

I also agree with @RobH2 who knows that high volume equals lower retail, low volume equals higher retail.

I'm an Industrial Designer as well as a certified Part 107 Pilot. I frequently see users remarking about the seemingly high prices of accessories like handles, floats, etc. As consumers, we are used to pricing levels for household products that sell 10's or 100s of millions of units per year. Because of those numbers, the manufacturing cost for them can be extremely low.

When you start making a product that has a much, much smaller customer base, say 100s or 1000s, the cost of making the parts goes up tremendously. I've developed several handy and useful drone accessories but I can't get the cost down below $75 so I've never made or marketed them. There seems to be a threshold that customers won't cross and it seems to lie below $50 for simple items without electronics. If you can't find off-the-shelf parts and kit-bang something together, you are left with 3d printing, cnc milling or casting parts. Those technologies are all human labor intensive, low yield and expensive.

To be able to make any money, i.e. a living, you must sell your product for 3 to 4 times what it costs you to make it. That covers overhead, taxes, insurance, etc. So, it's likely the seller of the handles has gotten the cost of production down to somewhere around $8-$15. The original manufacturer has to make a profit and so does the reseller. So, knowing that there are really only 1000s (if that) of potential customers for this product, I think that $44 is a fair price. Custom molds and tooling for an injection molded plastic part can cost upwards of $20K. You'd have to sell 2000 of them at $10 just to break even on the molds. No one can afford to stick their neck out that far for a product that may or may not sell. So, you are left making them in small batches using other methods. And, it just costs a lot more. Again, I think $44 is kind of amazing for this.

We all have to remember, this isn't like Walmart selling 20 million usb cables. At those numbers things are cheap to make. We are talking about a somewhat custom and made on demand product and it's expensive to do so. And to put it in perspective, if I'm flying a job that I'll make $1000 on, having handles that improve safety and only cost $44 is pretty darn cheap. I guarantee you, should someone get severely hurt from catching a drone without handles, you'd wish you'd have paid "any" price for a pair of simple handles.

To further reiterate your point, even if the $44 handles simply make the job easier and more convenient, I would buy them. But of the 4 drone models in my arsenal, the Inspire is the only one I never hand catch. I just haven't had reason to. Maybe back in the day when I was doing more film work they would've come in handy. But any more these days "mapping" and "traffic analysis" are my bread and butter. I use the P4P for both, which is super easy to catch. If I'm doing a job with the Inspire 1, there's always a good landing field or I bring a large, heavy rubber mat for take off and landings.

The Secraft handles look like they would extend down past the landing gear. That would definitely be a deal-breaker for me.

D

Yea, I think the ideal catch handles would be ones that extend down like an upside down "T" and provide both a catch handle and auxiliary landing feet. You'd have to play with the design to stay out of the way of the camera's field of view. Handles that stick straight down force you to hand catch even with the landing gear down.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
At DRONEPRESS I catch the INSPIRE with one hand under the battery. With the landing gear up. With the other hand I easily cut the motors with the radio control. My experience in aviation is that I systematically reject ALL accessories. They always reduce the reliability of the equipment.

At DRONEPRESS I catch the INSPIRE with one hand under the battery. With the landing gear up. With the other hand I easily cut the motors with the radio control. My experience in aviation is that I systematically reject ALL accessories. They always reduce the reliability of the equipment.

That seems like that would work. But then you're stuck holding the bird until you retract the landing gear. Any trouble toggling the Transformation Switch with one hand? Seems like that might be awkward.

D

That seems like that would work. But then you're stuck holding the bird until you retract the landing gear. Any trouble toggling the Transformation Switch with one hand? Seems like that might be awkward.

D
I think if you are going to be solo catching the drone you'd use your controller with a lanyard to stabilize it in your hand and also to keep it from slipping away. If that's the case, once the motors were stopped, you could dangle the controller and then flip the gear lever. Or now that the motors are off, you could just set the drone down and then regroup so you can better get to the retract lever. Regardless, I like the technique better than having the landing gear and blades down.

Or now that the motors are off, you could just set the drone down and then regroup so you can better get to the retract lever.

You can't set the drone down with the landing gear retracted. The drone's full weight would rest on the camera.

D

You have to catch the drone with the landing gear up. Otherwise, there is a risk of touching the propellers. I’m careful to catch it quickly when it’s at the right height. With a quick gesture. Avoid the risk of disrupting VPS sensors. When you catch it, with the other hand you lower the throttle completely and the drone stops after a few seconds. Then, you can lower the landing gear and set the drone done. I do this often when the ground is too dusty. You have to be careful, but honestly the technique is very easy. But take care, once the drone is in hand, it must not be released before the engines stop.

When you catch it, with the other hand you lower the throttle completely and the drone stops after a few seconds. Then, you can lower the landing gear and set the drone done.

How do you toggle the Transformation Switch with one hand? That seems like it would be really awkward.

D

I have my radio hooked up with a harness. And lowering the landing gear with one hand has never been a problem for me. Try it and you’ll see

I have my radio hooked up with a harness. And lowering the landing gear with one hand has never been a problem for me. Try it and you’ll see

For some reason I was thinking about going straight to transport mode, which requires TOGGLING the Transform Switch, which would be awkward. Simply flipping the Transform Switch to the down position to lower the landing gear would probably not be that difficult.

D

Yea, I'm going to try it next time I'm flying. I'll use a controller lanyard, catch with the landing gear up and have the transport mode switch up and ready to be flipped down. With the controller hanging in front of me I should be able to easily stop the props with the left stick and then flip the transport switch down. I bought some cut resistant kevlar gloves with rubber palms to use. I was surprised to see that they feel like cotton garden gloves. I expected some industrial hard glove. You just have to make sure you reach up so your face isn't close.

I imagine the Inspire props do a lot more damage than the folding Mavic props. If you were to hand-catch a lot, it might be a good reason to have folding Inspire props just so you don't cut a finger off. At least the prop hinge would deflect on impact to some extent.

As for ALL ACCESORIES I am against protective gloves. It is a risk for the driver. The best protection is always concentration.
I’ve already cut off my fingers by forgetting that it was absolutely necessary to catch the drone with the landing gear in the high position. The cut was painful but without gravity but now I am always much more focused. The ready position is a bent arm above the head. Then all that remains is to relax the arm with a quick gesture when the drone is at the right height. Next time I’ll ask my partner to take pictures...

Here are gesture's pictures of recovery

Attachments

• IMG-20190706-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20190706-WA0004.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20190706-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20190706-WA0005.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 11

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads