Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Apple removes appstore from iTunes

Reaction score
Apple has removed the Appstore/App sync from iTunes 12.7 you may no longer put old version of DJI Go/Go 4 to your new/restoring ios device anymore.

Yes, I noticed that too when it updated on my Windows PC yesterday. Very hard to find apps and seems iTunes is strictly music/movie related now. Dunno.

Wish I hadn't updated it now too.

Not good news as it'll make managing apps more difficult, especially trying to archive older versions like we can at the minute :(

Came across this from Apple that shows how to copy over apps that are on your computer if needed... not sure if it works as I've not updated iTunes recently (thankfully!!!) Manually manage content on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch using iTunes - Go to the very bottom section "Manually add items from your computer"

After reading further, looks like this will impact people who update their iOs devices to iOS 11 when it's released as iOS 11 needs the newer version of iTunes.... ie don't update your devices to iOS 11 if you want to keep the App Store features in iTunes on your desktop computer.

After reading further, looks like this will impact people who update their iOs devices to iOS 11 when it's released as iOS 11 needs the newer version of iTunes.... ie don't update your devices to iOS 11 if you want to keep the App Store features in iTunes on your desktop computer.

This morning, my iTunes updated and I run the official iOS 11. You can only control the apps that write files to your device (like GO4, Autopilot, Map Pilot and others).
Still need to figure it out

Anywhere to download the older 12.6 Windows version?

I found version 12.4 for Windows here ( Apple - Support - Downloads ). This new one (12.7) blows if I cannot rollback to older apps on the iPad (Given DJI's wonderful ability to stop that now and with Apple's assistance with 12.7!). I had to use iTunes once to rollback the firmware in the iPad since I lost the password at one time. If they crippled that iPad firmware rollback in 12.7, that would be bad.

What the heck!

I uninstalled iTunes 12.7 and installed the 12.4 version in the above link. When it was almost done installing, it rolled back (desktop icon disappeared) and will not install version 12.4. Sounds like a "You can't go back" idea from DJI.

Added:
Success! You need to remove ALL Apple software and Bonjour. There's a bunch of iTune stuff in sundry folders in Windows. Have to search for Apple and iTunes and delete them all. Then 1.2.4 will install. It will ask you to install 1.2.7 which I declined. I turned off Auto-update as well on the installation.

Last edited:
To roll back in Mac OSX you need a copy of iTunes 12.6. Goole is your friend. To delete the 12.7 version, right click on iTunes app (in the applications folder), open up the info and unlock it in the bottom right corner, then enter your password, set 'everyone' to 'read & write'. Drag iTunes to the trash. Install 12.6. When done, while holding the down the option key, start iTunes. It will ask you to choose a library, choose your last library and your music will repopulate.

Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 11.14.28 PM✨.png

Reactions: dirkclod
If you can, backup your entire mac using timemachine. Install Ei Captain. The iTunes bundled with Ei Captain is a good one. From that point you may ask Mr.Youtube for help to retrieve required ipa from Apple Appstore. Save them well. Then reinstall entire mac from the Time Machine backup. It is ok to use iTunes 12.7 Apple provides Apple Configurator 2, free Mac software that you can get from Mac Appstore, to install ios app from ipa or online iTunes Appstore. It works with ios 10.3.3 and ios 11,

Last edited:
If you can, backup your entire mac using timemachine. Install Ei Captain. The iTunes bundled with Ei Captain is a good one. From that point you may ask Mr.Youtube for help to retrieve required ipa from Apple Appstore. Save them well. Then reinstall entire mac from the Time Machine backup. It is ok to use iTunes 12.7 Apple provides Configurator Assistant 2, free Mac software that you can get from Mac Appstore, to install ios app from ipa or online iTunes Appstore. It works with ios 10.3.3 and ios 11,
Thanks for the update. Have you tried the new method?

Thanks for the update. Have you tried the new method?
Do you mean the Apple Configurator 2? Yes, I did. I have to backup whatever version of ios app from old iTunes (Music>iTunes>iTunesMedia>Mobile Application), though may not necessary because installing the 12.7 will not harm the Mobile Application folder. Then to install the ios application from hard drive, launch the configurator, sign in with your Apple account, plug the iDevice to mac, let Configurator see the device, click to select the device, click Add button, select whether to install from iTune Appstore or from your mac, select from mac, select ipa file that you want, let the installation proceed until finish, then you are good to go. The ios application file, the ipa, must be prepurchased using your account otherwise when you run the app on the device ios will ask you to enter the apple id and password that own the ipa file.

I suspect that accessing ios app store from mac may not last for long time. It really inconvenient when restore all app from online store because it takes hours to finish. And most important, I will lost the version that I want. It always install newest version for me. For example, now I use DJI Go 4.0.8 for my I2. I do not want any newer version because it is match with the .0330 I2 firmware. Restoring from online store I will get DJI Go 4.1.11 which has plenty issues. Restore using ipa locally helps a lot.

The above method does not work for iPhone restoring.

Also to install an app that is in your Mac iTunes library but not on your phone. You may simply drag the ipa file and drop into the iPhone box.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onaldUnino