Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna ask this question again because I think it got lost in the Melee.

How many here are running/ consider it safe to fly an extra 700 grams on their Inspire with factory props?

I finally was able to solder the leads to the aircraft and I'm satisfied with the results. A special thanks to Phatzo for his tutorials. It took about 5 hours on a Sunday night taking my time.

Another note: There's a concensus that lipo batteries don't reach full capacity until after 10 or so charge/ discharge cycles so I'm wondering if some of these times posted with out-of-the-box batteries wouldn' improve significantly after several uses.

Reactions: Phatzo
1st test w 2 Hobby People 30C 5000mah 3S and a TB47 that only registers 39xx mah with a full charge. First flight inside aborted after a minute. Took it outside at 96% and hovered around for 23:34 down to 12% on the Inspire battery and not sure how much on the twins but they were cool to the touch upon landing.

This is about double what I've been getting on the '47 by itself albeit while flying around.

How many here are running/ consider it safe to fly an extra 700 grams on their Inspire with factory props?

i wouldn't have thought it would feel to good in the air even without any extra weight i don't like them, never have been a fan of flying flimsy props.

3M DL rocks.

I made a small mount and moved it forward for better CoG:

ef918646858746b46e107edb84e5e9d9.jpg

7672bcc191efc2cf2b5ceb7622805e40.jpg
Damon, I have the battery mod, so two wires pair going out from each side, my question is, if I connect only one bat as a aux, I will use one pair of them , what do I do with the second pair of wires

Must be a busy week for the folks on the forum...

You can definitely tell by the pitch of the drone it is working harder. I don't know what this means as far as wear and tear on the motors for the long term.

Flight #2 TB48 starting at 97%, (2) Hobby People 3S 5000mah 30C straddling battery cage.

Normal flight, ginger on the controls so as not to shake batteries loose, but top speed 22-25 mph, max alt 380ft, 12k ft total came out to a little more than 23 mins w 23% left on main battery. While I can't read %'s on the aux batts but they had a remaining voltage of 11.25 with a printed min of 9.0V and max of 12.6V. It seems as though there's a lot of unused energy left in the aux batteries unless I am reading the numbers wrong.

Edit: to keep the comparison Apples to Apples I was in GPS mode the entire flight.

Any input?

Last edited:
Must be a busy week for the folks on the forum...

You can definitely tell by the pitch of the drone it is working harder. I don't know what this means as far as wear and tear on the motors for the long term.

Flight #2 TB48 starting at 97%, (2) Hobby People 3S 5000mah 30C straddling battery cage.

Normal flight, ginger on the controls so as not to shake batteries loose, but top speed 22-25 mph, max alt 380ft, 12k ft total came out to a little more than 23 mins w 23% left on main battery. While I can't read %'s on the aux batts but they had a remaining voltage of 11.25 with a printed min of 9.0V and max of 12.6V. It seems as though there's a lot of unused energy left in the aux batteries unless I am reading the numbers wrong.

Any input?

What does that battery weigh and what are you using to mount it? 11.25V on a 3S means 3.75v per cell on average. If this reading is after flight, I would say you are close to depleted. How are you using a 3S battery though, unless you have a dual 5000mAh batteries on there, which I imagine is super heavy? You are probably better off with the MultiStar 6600mAh LiHV which has performed super well for everyone here as far as I know.

For reference again: Total flight distance was 7303.2m (~24,000 feet), so I about covered twice your distance on this battery. My average speed was about 35mph.
Flight 1 - 27m 10s down to 20% when motors were disarmed. 50% hovering 50% light flying.
DJI battery cells voltage after flight and cooldown: 3.75 3.75 3.74 3.75 3.74 3.74
MultiStar battery cells voltage after flight and cooldown: 3.69 across the board

I purposely flew mine extra hard with the battery to see if the battery would fall off, I suggest you do the same to make sure it's all good. I would fly forward to hit 22m/s and then go full reverse immediately. Bird tilts, screams and looks like it's going to freaking barrel roll but it holds just fine.

The Multistar 5200 HV and 6600 are no longer on backorder in the USA.
They have simply vanished, listings are gone, and are not available to anyone in the USA. I had 2 5200"s in my cart about two months ago and waited til morning to pull the trigger, (they were of course gone by the morn) sigh

What does that battery weigh and what are you using to mount it? 11.25V on a 3S means 3.75v per cell on average. If this reading is after flight, I would say you are close to depleted. How are you using a 3S battery though, unless you have a dual 5000mAh batteries on there, which I imagine is super heavy? You are probably better off with the MultiStar 6600mAh LiHV which has performed super well for everyone here as far as I know.

For reference again: Total flight distance was 7303.2m (~24,000 feet), so I about covered twice your distance on this battery. My average speed was about 35mph.
Flight 1 - 27m 10s down to 20% when motors were disarmed. 50% hovering 50% light flying.
DJI battery cells voltage after flight and cooldown: 3.75 3.75 3.74 3.75 3.74 3.74
MultiStar battery cells voltage after flight and cooldown: 3.69 across the board

I purposely flew mine extra hard with the battery to see if the battery would fall off, I suggest you do the same to make sure it's all good. I would fly forward to hit 22m/s and then go full reverse immediately. Bird tilts, screams and looks like it's going to freaking barrel roll but it holds just fine.

Two 3S in series weight about 350g each. Heavy duty velcro saddled as far forward on each side of the battery cage. I would be very reluctant with stock props to jam it in reverse. I don't see the need. I test the grip by picking up the whole thing by each battery one at a time..

Got the batteries from local hobby shop. Chose that config because there was not one like it in the thread. ( just doing my part to flesh out the experimentation.) it falls a little short of peak power-to-weight ratio and so far I would say it falls well short of flight times too. From my reading it seemed 25-30C was optimal though later posts posted real good numbers with higher C batts. For my needs it would seem at this time more TB48 batteries are in order though I will pick up one more of the optimal batteries listed just to have them.

Attachments

• 20160722_233631.jpg
    20160722_233631.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 86
  • 20160722_234532.jpg
    20160722_234532.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
Those are pretty crap from what I've read. I have no voltage drop with the MS 6600 doing 22m/s sustained over a 2 minutes.

Really?
There are threads on RCG that differ from what you just posted.
Also, I just posted how the MS6600 is NO longer available in the USA, (and are on Backorder in their global warehouse for the other two countries).

Please post a link to your source saying those are "crap", (my bet is you are making it up/passing along false info). That's a pretty crappy thing to do, cheat other folks out of giving a great battery pack a try on their I1. My guess is that they would work really well. Someone send me a couple and I'll try them on my I1

Again, please post a link to your "info" saying that the Turnigy Bolt LiHV are "crap", I double dog dare ya :)

They have simply vanished, listings are gone, and are not available to anyone in the USA. I had 2 5200"s in my cart about two months ago and waited til morning to pull the trigger, (they were of course gone by the morn) sigh

Through accidental order I now have three new MS 6600 LiHVs. Maybe I'm responsible :)

Hoping they work out well then I'll be set.

Now to find time to test....sigh

Please test 6600 + 8000 and feed back
Molo molo dear Lee :D

13735063_10202064406607235_5166212462348507568_o.jpg

Hi dammon i am prior to start my battery modification but i have a question. Looking at the pdf file on the first page you gave,do i have to solder the + and - aux cable a little bit below the blue marked lead (on my picture above) ? so these 2 are not connected. Or anybody else have a detailed picture of existing aux cable already inside the battery.thanks for your attention !

13735063_10202064406607235_5166212462348507568_o.jpg

Hi dammon i am prior to start my battery modification but i have a question. Looking at the pdf file on the first page you gave,do i have to solder the + and - aux cable a little bit below the blue marked lead (on my picture above) ? so these 2 are not connected. Or anybody else have a detailed picture of existing aux cable already inside the battery.thanks for your attention !

No need to touch existing connections. Just make sure your new connections are solid and aren't "cold" solder points. Having the aux batteries come disconnected during flight obviously would be highly undesirable.

Really?
There are threads on RCG that differ from what you just posted.
Also, I just posted how the MS6600 is NO longer available in the USA, (and are on Backorder in their global warehouse for the other two countries).

Please post a link to your source saying those are "crap", (my bet is you are making it up/passing along false info). That's a pretty crappy thing to do, cheat other folks out of giving a great battery pack a try on their I1. My guess is that they would work really well. Someone send me a couple and I'll try them on my I1

Again, please post a link to your "info" saying that the Turnigy Bolt LiHV are "crap", I double dog dare ya :)

If you think otherwise, that's fine. I haven't tried them, I've just read that they weren't all that impressive. Not quite sure why you are being so defensive when you haven't tried them yourself.

In any case, the MS LiHV's are available in my area so it's not an issue. Looking at the Turnigy Bolts, their 5400mAh is lower capacity, higher weight, and higher price than the MS 6600, so I don't really see it working better but you should try if you are so convinced.

Through accidental order I now have three new MS 6600 LiHVs. Maybe I'm responsible :)

Hoping they work out well then I'll be set.

Now to find time to test....sigh
Hey Damon
Made finely a flight test this weekend with aux bat.
V2 , X5R, 2x 2700 Tunder power, hovering with small manuvers.
Stability- not good , some raising and movement right and left.
Time- 23:30 minutes , in main left 24% in aux 22%.
Generally , like the results , in term of stability - not so.
Looking for your results for the 6600 and 8000, think I term of stability will be better .

Reactions: Lee Sang Koo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
proferlofurniture