Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Damon
Made finely a flight test this weekend with aux bat.
V2 , X5R, 2x 2700 Tunder power, hovering with small manuvers.
Stability- not good , some raising and movement right and left.
Time- 23:30 minutes , in main left 24% in aux 22%.
Generally , like the results , in term of stability - not so.
Looking for your results for the 6600 and 8000, think I term of stability will be better .

Make sure your batteries are on the top of the mounting plate if you are using the Aero3D plate.

I wouldn't advise 8000 for the X5R, simply too heavy. My application for it is on my X3 i1 V1 for LD.

Made a second flight after picking up a couple of 3S 2200mah 30C figuring if it bumped my flight time by 5 min it would be worth the $35 and at 175g ea the weight is negligible.

Flight time with a TB47 that showed 3600mah on the go app (wth?) was 16 min alternating from atti to gps in what was roughly 15mph winds. On landing the main batt had 20% and the aux had 25 and 27% remaining. No different noises coming from the props so I assume the extra 350g is an easy load on the gear.

I have made up battery mounts using Velcro and bungee holders outboard of the T fitting for the motor arms. This is probably the strongest part of the aircraft and is least subject to torquing from changing directions. I would think it will make the drone more stable while not stressing the airframe. It will however interfere with the prop wash and I don't know whether that will affect performance.

Make sure your batteries are on the top of the mounting plate if you are using the Aero3D plate.

I wouldn't advise 8000 for the X5R, simply too heavy. My application for it is on my X3 i1 V1 for LD.
Yeah , it is too heavy for the X5R , I'll do the test with the x3. Yes the batteries was in the top of the mount.
What mount you will use for the 6600 and 8000?
Thanks Damon ! BTW, please take a look at my new post about the problem I met with the video transmission .

Uh oh...i accidentely shorted my tb47 balance board,by touching it with a metal tweezer,lesson learnt. Fortunately, that tb47 has almost reach its own lifespan (dropping to 3.3V when battery below 50%)
13775371_10202069357931015_3898994881651412963_n.jpg

Do you need to disconnect the balance lead before performing the aux cable soldering for safety? or leave it as it be.

I slipped the tweezer a bit right and touched the (in the picture above) far below right two ICs,with code 202 on it. Now when i connect the balancer lead that ic became very hot and refuse to charge, even a push in the button only left a dim led. I think only the balancer circuit went awol thou. anybody tried to frankenstein these Tb4x cell to be used for aux battery?
second attemp with tb48 succed thou, gonna try it with 2x turnigy 6s 2650 mah 20C.

Is the recommendation to use the top plate vs bottom for all batteries configurations? Most pictures show using the bottom plate for mounting.

Attachments

• dual-battery-plate.jpg
    dual-battery-plate.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 82

Did you test 6600? Please feed back^^

Last edited:
Yeah , it is too heavy for the X5R , I'll do the test with the x3. Yes the batteries was in the top of the mount.
What mount you will use for the 6600 and 8000?
Thanks Damon ! BTW, please take a look at my new post about the problem I met with the video transmission .

Homemade mount for single batt forward of VPS, behind cam

Not satisfied with a low CG battery placement due to elevated prop noise and hot motors after landing, I noticed after a 12 min flight (not hover) cut short by rain w a tb47 and 2 5000 3s 30c batteries mounted outboard, not only was the prop noise marginalized, but after landing the motors were significantly cooler than when the batteries (350g ea) were mounted on either side of the battery cage. Interference with the prop wash (see pics) is significantly less than originally anticipated.

With the gear raised and batteries mounted low, (at or below the battery cage,) the lower CG should add stability to the aircraft but it seems instead to induce a pendulum effect making the motors work harder to stabilize the drone.

While I didn't go hog wild testing the mounting config, it was flown "normally" and kept a rock solid connection. A little HD Velcro and some preman bungee cords from Harbor freight is an inexpensive, reliable, and easy on/ off solution that appears to distribute the additional weight in a way that's least stressful on the airframe and motors.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 133
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Not satisfied with a low CG batery placement due to elevated prop noise and hot motors after landing, I noticed after a 12 min flight (not hover) cut short by rain w a tb47 and 2 5000 3s 30c batteries mounted outboard, not only was the prop noise marginalized, but after landing the motors were significantly cooler than when the batteries (350g ea) were mounted on either side of the battery cage. Interference with the prop wash (see pics) is significantly less than originally anticipated.

With the gear raised and batteries mounted low, (at or below the battery cage,) the lower CG should add stability to the aircraft but it seems instead to induce a pendulum effect making the motors work harder to stabilize the drone.

While I didn't go hog wild testing the mounting config, it was flown "normally" and kept a rock solid connection. A little HD Velcro and some preman bungee cords from Harbor freight is a cheap, reliable, inexpensive, and easy on/ off solution that appears to distribute the additional weight in a way that's least stressful on the AC.

Love it. Less motor stress = more flight time. Be interesting to use the FPV Camera app which can display real-time Voltage usage as a HUD option and see Voltage drain with this mount vs the body carriage mount.

Love it. Less motor stress = more flight time. Be interesting to use the FPV Camera app which can display real-time Voltage usage as a HUD option and see Voltage drain with this mount vs the body carriage mount.

Which app? The handling characteristics of this config has given me the confidence to wire my 5000s and 2200s in series respectively, then parallel to the main battery with the smaller ones straddling the battery cage. That's 1050g and 7200mah well distributed throughout the airframe. I wouldn't run an obstacle course with it but think it might well handle normal flight.

Last edited:
Need help,is this solder job looks okay?it holds firm,and i secured it with hot glue after soldering.a bit nervous because im not an expert in electronics and diy job,h eheh.
after i put the aux cable i measured the cable with tb48 battery on and it gives me reading 25 ish volt,just like the voltage shown in app.

Attachments

• IMG_20160727_094135.jpg
    IMG_20160727_094135.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 92
Not satisfied with a low CG battery placement due to elevated prop noise and hot motors after landing, I noticed after a 12 min flight (not hover) cut short by rain w a tb47 and 2 5000 3s 30c batteries mounted outboard, not only was the prop noise marginalized, but after landing the motors were significantly cooler than when the batteries (350g ea) were mounted on either side of the battery cage. Interference with the prop wash (see pics) is significantly less than originally anticipated.

While I didn't go hog wild testing the mounting config, it was flown "normally" and kept a rock solid connection. A little HD Velcro and some preman bungee cords from Harbor freight is an inexpensive, reliable, and easy on/ off solution that appears to distribute the additional weight in a way that's least stressful on the airframe and motors.

I'm digging this setup. I would definitely consider this in the future.

Also, for better flight characteristics, you might want to try some 1448 or 1455 props. I like the stock props, but the added weight definitely benefits from a longer blade with a steeper angle for more lift.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
I'm digging this setup. I would definitely consider this in the future.

Also, for better flight characteristics, you might want to try some 1448 or 1455 props. I like the stock props, but the added weight definitely benefits from a longer blade with a steeper angle for more lift.

Is the four digit number a combination of the diameter and pitch of the blades? If so what are the factory dimensions?

What craft and battery firmware are people using?
I've got my test mule on Inspire on 1.4.10 and the battery calculations are totally incorrect, with a TB48 plus additional cells to give 10,000mAH it's going into low battery autoland with 3.75 - 3.8 volts per cell under load

it flies fine, just isn't doing battery capacity calculations correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu