Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not take apart a old battery leaving just the smart circuit and frame (reducing weight) and adding a bracket to the side that holds 2 x TB48's and wiring it all together?

Thanks, but solder on the craft itself, plus that requires some disassembly, i don't know if i would feel comfortable soldering on the aircraft.
In that case i rather solder on the battery instead. I just wonder if there is some way of not needing to do holes in the plastic cover of the battery, if the cables can be squeezed in somehow, under the top part, i guess not?

I found two 3S 1800 mAh batteries at home, is that too little Amperage? I don't care about extra flight time, i just want the AUX battery mod as redundancy so i have time to land in case of main battery failure.
Would two 3S 1800mAh batteries do? How many extra minutes could i get from them? Since they are 3S batteries I'm not sure 1800 mAh will be enough ?

EDIT: By the way, whats the maximum weight per battery that would be acceptable? Would 450 grams per battery be too heavy?
There’s my power plug on the side.

Attachments

• F786B585-EDC0-43B8-932C-9BB0857688B9.jpeg
    F786B585-EDC0-43B8-932C-9BB0857688B9.jpeg
    720.8 KB · Views: 129
And this is where I soldered the wires to

Attachments

• EFB67900-C5BA-4AAE-A9B2-5FE66CF20128.jpeg
    EFB67900-C5BA-4AAE-A9B2-5FE66CF20128.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 124
Thanks, but solder on the craft itself, plus that requires some disassembly, i don't know if i would feel comfortable soldering on the aircraft.
In that case i rather solder on the battery instead. I just wonder if there is some way of not needing to do holes in the plastic cover of the battery, if the cables can be squeezed in somehow, under the top part, i guess not?

I found two 3S 1800 mAh batteries at home, is that too little Amperage? I don't care about extra flight time, i just want the AUX battery mod as redundancy so i have time to land in case of main battery failure.
Would two 3S 1800mAh batteries do? How many extra minutes could i get from them? Since they are 3S batteries I'm not sure 1800 mAh will be enough ?

EDIT: By the way, whats the maximum weight per battery that would be acceptable? Would 450 grams per battery be too heavy?

I'm not sure I would recommend you soldering the batteries if you're not comfortable doing it on the aircraft. The way I see it, soldering the batteries is much more dangerous since it is live where as the aircraft is not (when there's no battery). If redundancy is important, consider the inability for the aux battery to power the craft if for some reason your main battery comes loose. Anyway, to each his own, I just think soldering to the aircraft is the no brainer here (especially since you won't have to do it for each battery.

You'll need to wire the 3S batteries in series, so you'll effectively have 3600mah but you're misunderstanding how this is going to work. If you want a "reserve" power for emergency landings, it just depends on when that happens. Both your main and aux batteries will deplete simultaneously. Let's pretend they both drain at the same rate (they won't but close enough), so if you are flying with 30% batteries left, you might have plenty of juice to fly around a bit, fly home, and land. But if your main battery craps out there, you'll only have theoretically 30% of your aux batteries, which might not be enough to get home then. Weight-wise, you can look at what everyone else is using but I am around the 600-700g mark with one battery. I don't understand why people insist on using two 3S batteries when the mAH-to-weight ratio is more favorable for running a single 6S rather than two 3S batteries. Not to mention less wiring and less things to charge individually.

I run a 5200mAH 6S with a TB48. I get 30 mins easily.

Reactions: kingkong
It was posted many times but why not buy the battery mod adapter?
It's so easy to use without the need of soldering.
I bought mine from uavmods.co.uk

Reactions: engelo
Capacity absolutely does not have to match.

The screen shot I posted above was with the 2 x 6S 1300mah you just mentioned. Works great. I know in my case my TB48 is modified and got me 25:17 flight time with that exact setup.
What time of flying did you do? Hover or mild or aggressive? Thanks, Peter

Would it be possible to cut the battery frame off of the aircraft making room for 2x TB48 side by side while still clearing the props? (minus their white caps so they'll fit close next to each other)

so I purchased the wrong battery mount... o_O

Modded this up.. just need to get better screws to hold the 3D printed mount.. have used blue loctite on the motherboard spacers.

should I trust it? :D

IMG_6092.JPG IMG_6093.JPG IMG_6094.JPG IMG_6095.JPG

After a bunch of experimentation, here's my current mounting solution. Weights almost nothing but I can pick up the entire aircraft by the external LiPo it's so strong. But it HAS to be 3M Dual Lock. It's rated at 1.5LB's per square inch for 10,000 hours at 200F. Do NOT try this with velcro. Your batteries could detach, hit the props, and puncture, resulting in a fire or mid air explosion. That would be bad.

View attachment 4581 View attachment 4582 View attachment 4583 View attachment 4584 View attachment 4585 View attachment 4586 View attachment 4587

What size are those green batteries, brand ?

Well my eyes are turning square i have read so much about this now.

I wanted to mod a v2 x5r and want a honest answer of what people suggest if the best set-up for it?

I have a tb47 i am going to mod and was thinking of using 2 6s 2500ish capacity so i am roughly doubling capacity. On a x5 what kind of result will this bring?

I have seen 3000 3s hiliv packs are cheap too so does it matter if you run two 3s or 6s?

Thanks
Mick

Last edited:
It was posted many times but why not buy the battery mod adapter?
It's so easy to use without the need of soldering.
I bought mine from uavmods.co.uk

How do the adapters work Niki pal? We are about to give this a go too.

From a little digging i am definitely leaning towards a 6600 set-up, if i can get it mounted behind the vps unit. But equally so i may need to look at a duel set up based on what works with the x5r

Thanks
Mick

Last edited:
How do the adapters work Niki pal? We are about to give this a go too.

From a little digging i am definitely leaning towards a 6600 set-up, if i can get it mounted behind the vps unit. But equally so i may need to look at a duel set up based on what works with the x5r

Thanks
Mick
Hi Mick, I only used it once to prove that the concept works in case I need longer flight time and I think it is a nice solution for the connection instead of soldering wires and modify hardware.

Reactions: giumick
Hi Mick, I only used it once to prove that the concept works in case I need longer flight time and I think it is a nice solution for the connection instead of soldering wires and modify hardware.

Do you have to open the battery up pal or just fit the adapter to the terminals?

I can not decide which way to go. There is not much info at all as regards the x5r and which set-up works best. On top of that where the heck do you get the batteries from? HK is out of stock and apparently dont ship larger batts anymore and nowhere else sells them. I wonder could i use standard lipos and not lihv for a twin 3300 6s setup?

So many questions lol

We need this set-up for an upcoming project that will need more time in the air for mapping. Its European funded by i doubt they will let us get a new drone on the budget lol

Do you have to open the battery up pal or just fit the adapter to the terminals?

I can not decide which way to go. There is not much info at all as regards the x5r and which set-up works best. On top of that where the heck do you get the batteries from? HK is out of stock and apparently dont ship larger batts anymore and nowhere else sells them. I wonder could i use standard lipos and not lihv for a twin 3300 6s setup?

So many questions lol

We need this set-up for an upcoming project that will need more time in the air for mapping. Its European funded by i doubt they will let us get a new drone on the budget lol

You don't have to use LiHV for the auxiliary batteries, normal LiPo will still give you extended flight time.

I've said this before but I believe soldering is the best way because there's no risk of your adapter coming off for any reason. The adapter sandwiches between the battery and the aircraft and you plug your auxiliaries in. It's kind of a friction fit, which I think is not the best idea given how the inspire batteries are locked into the aircraft (with those little press tabs that aren't all that secure).

You don't have to use LiHV for the auxiliary batteries, normal LiPo will still give you extended flight time.

I've said this before but I believe soldering is the best way because there's no risk of your adapter coming off for any reason. The adapter sandwiches between the battery and the aircraft and you plug your auxiliaries in. It's kind of a friction fit, which I think is not the best idea given how the inspire batteries are locked into the aircraft (with those little press tabs that aren't all that secure).
Did you tried the adapter? From what you're saying it look you never had it in your hands.

It's not staying there only on friction, it's hooked up to the battery and in between the battery and inspires body.

Last edited:

So many questions lol

I'm usually shoping from locals if the european HK doesnt have what I look for. In Europe you can try order from
Gens ace Lipo battery - Gens Ace

I'm usually shoping from locals if the european HK doesnt have what I look for. In Europe you can try order from
Gens ace Lipo battery - Gens Ace

Thanks for the help pal. I think i am going to try some 3300 6s Nano-techs as i have game them some serious abuse 3d flying over the years and those packs are still going strong now :)

Im loving the 6s factor now as well as it means i finally have an excuse to build a 30cc electric set-up although it may end up 12s :D

I used to have a 60" EF 5s set-up and it was a monster

Last edited:
Reactions: NJV and niki
Right, so friction. In any case, it's not as secure as soldered wires, which was my point.

Thats not really friction though is it if it is sandwiched between two areas. Its more held by a plastic clamping system. Granted its potentially not as secure as a good solder joint but it doesn't have to be and its offers fantastic versatility around swapping batts.

Your batt mounting brackets are the most important load bearing item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abseilerstu