Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Battery Mod Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good post Damon!

My question is why use 2 3s batteries in series to get 22.2 v rather then one 5200 6s? There is no weight savings or cost advantage that I can tell? Perhaps just the ability to split the load on the craft? For that why not use 2 2800 6s units at 390 g each. They flew to 32 min. In a 2 m hover with 15 % left in aux and 8 % left in main. In 42 degree 15 mph wind comming right out of the Chargers .

Reactions: damoncooper
Very good post Damon!

My question is why use 2 3s batteries in series to get 22.2 v rather then one 5200 6s? There is no weight savings or cost advantage that I can tell? Perhaps just the ability to split the load on the craft? For that why not use 2 2800 6s units at 390 g each. They flew to 32 min. In a 2 m hover with 15 % left in aux and 8 % left in main. In 42 degree 15 mph wind comming right out of the Chargers .

Did you use the units from eBay? I just ordered 2 of those. They claim 370g each.

This overview might be helpful to anyone new to wiring up lipos

Yep that can be helpful...
Just a recap for those joining....
3s...in series..
6s..in parallel.

both get hooked to the inspire after startup of the i1?

• Material: Lipo

• Color: Silver Black

• Shape: Rectangle

• Type: Lion Power Lipo Battery

• Plug Type: T Plug

• Product Type: Rechargeable lithium polymer battery

• Battery Parameter: Lion Power 22.2V 2800Mah 35C

• Battery Capacity: 2800MAh

• Continous Discharge Rate: 35C MAX 50C

• Battery Dimension: 11.5 * 3.6 * 4.3cm / 4.5 * 1.4 * 1.7inch

• Battery Weight: 370g / 13oz

• Package Dimension: 14 * 5 * 5cm / 5.4 * 1.9 * 1.9inch

• Package weight: 400g / 14oz

• Tips: A. Do Not over-charge, or over-discharge batteries. B. Do Not put it beside the high temperature condition. C. Do Not throw it into fire. Don't throw it into water. Do Not load or transport package if damaged.

• Package Content: 1 x Lion Power Lipo Battery 22.2V 2800Mah 35C MAX 50C T Plug

Yes these are the two I got off of eBay and rather than re wire my t48 again to have two sets of wires I just used the paralell connector from Amazon to hook the two aux up . I kept it simple and used wire ties to mount the two aux to the landing legs for the test. I may install the hand bars that have been posted in the future but zip ties are quick and simple, weigh nothing and cheap. I would love to find a combo totally 580o ma at this 800 g weight to stop the back and forth between the main an aux. however if the fuel cell I saw is reasonable priced that may be the real solution !

• Material: Lipo

• Color: Silver Black

• Shape: Rectangle

• Type: Lion Power Lipo Battery

• Plug Type: T Plug

• Product Type: Rechargeable lithium polymer battery

• Battery Parameter: Lion Power 22.2V 2800Mah 35C

• Battery Capacity: 2800MAh

• Continous Discharge Rate: 35C MAX 50C

• Battery Dimension: 11.5 * 3.6 * 4.3cm / 4.5 * 1.4 * 1.7inch

• Battery Weight: 370g / 13oz

• Package Dimension: 14 * 5 * 5cm / 5.4 * 1.9 * 1.9inch

• Package weight: 400g / 14oz

• Tips: A. Do Not over-charge, or over-discharge batteries. B. Do Not put it beside the high temperature condition. C. Do Not throw it into fire. Don't throw it into water. Do Not load or transport package if damaged.

• Package Content: 1 x Lion Power Lipo Battery 22.2V 2800Mah 35C MAX 50C T Plug

Cool, that's what I ordered just checking

Thought I'd post this comment from Derrick, another battery mod-er, as it's worth sharing.

Having auxiliary batteries not only lengthens flight time, but it eases the load on the main battery and provides redundancy in case of main cell failure.

X5 folks will appreciate having any kind of redundancy, given the investment and only 4 rotors.

Anyway, Derrick said:

"[Using auxiliary batteries] also lightens the load on the I1 battery. Usually if I'm flying with a well broken in tb48 with over 50 charges on it flying stock by itself, when I take off and up and out full throttle, if you check the battery window the cells will temporarily drop yellow and even red maxing them out, but when you have a second or even third battery run in parallel, then all the cells pretty much stay green above 3.7v each. You can feel the extra power too flying with additional batteries. Flying with these configurations, you won't ever have to worry about the dreaded battery failure periodically posted about! I have been out on job sites flying all day and burned every charged I1 battery I had left, but was still able to fly using a battery with 20% or less strapping an second battery in parallel, it charged the I1 batt as I flew! I don't recommend doing it, but I was able to squeeze another flight doing it. It charged the battery up to like 45%, then dropped back down and I landed @ 20% for about a 15 min flight ;)"

Last edited:
Reactions: tcchow
Which mounts are these Damon? Don't look like new 2800 batts?

New experimental mounts I'm working with Neil Watts on. 2800's haven't arrived yet, yeah.

How about you? Any new experiments or lessons to report?

If I'm able to get my 30+ min with the 2800's I'm going to switch to actual flights and see how 30 min hover translates to actual flight time at 75-80% throttle.

TIP 1: the FPV Camera app allows you to customize the OSD and you can add real-time voltage and energy consumption readings to find the sweet spot for optimal flight time / performance. Like the real time mileage/consumption read out in many cars.

TIP 2: You can use the Autopilot apps' Cruise Mode to set flight parameters based on those optimal settings (i.e. Fly at exactly 76% throttle if that were optimal).

More envelops yet to break here..... :)

Mounts look promising and they allow you to move the image.jpeg battery weight forward I have nothing new to report I'm going to try to of why the 2800 on the real flight to see how they do. This paralell board allow me to charge 3 at a time. I also use the one for the main batter that charges three at a time not sequential

Hi @ all,

i'm new to this forum but glad that i found this thread and readed it. Does anyone know what happens if the battery setup is not balanced well? Lets say the weakest one is the Battery that is inserted in the inspire, does the voltage cut off kick in if one cell of that battery drops below 3v or does it kick in if the overall voltage of all cell packs in parallel drops below 18v?

I'm experienced in soldering and built many copters and and like to do such a mod for redundacy.

The two 3S need to be connected in series with a series connector and then the series connector to the TB4X.

Make sure you turn on the TB4X first, then connect the aux batteries. Reverse on shutdown.

please excuse my ignorance but why? will I brick or fry something?

please excuse my ignorance but why? will I brick or fry something?

Not sure which item you're asking about but you need to match 3S's in series to create a virtual 6S battery (22.2V), as that's what the Inspire uses. You risk destroying your 3S batteries and causing an explosion or fire if you connect them directly to the 22.2V TB4X.

Summary: bad juju.

Why turn connect after turning on main battery? The aircraft will receive power otherwise without the smart circuitry in the TB4X battery alive and responding to the aircraft and the aircraft will throw a battery error, thinking its a fake DJI battery or something has gone very very wrong with the main battery since it isn't responding.

Connect aux batteries last on startup, disconnect first on shutdown.

Hope that helps. Don't blow up your house :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP