Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

CineSSD strategy

Reaction score
barring having tons of money and just buying a stack of 480gb drives, what are you guys buying initially: a few of the smaller drives, or a lesser amount of the 480gb?

Things to consider:
Smaller drives are less of a risk with data, and cheaper. Large drive takes 2 hours to offload when full.
Large drives obviously store more and wont have to change as often depending on codec.

I'm planning on only recording in prores initially.

We had a number of clients pre-order just one of the 480GB SSDs but after finding out the off load time for a full drive is pushing 2 hours, most are adding on 1-2 additional drives and hoping they can make that work. If you are going to film at 5.2K RAW you are going to fill them very quickly and there will be a lot of down time between shooting as you wait to offload...and then you have the issue of still only having a single copy of the footage until you can get the offloaded set backed up because you immediately have to format the SSD to use it again. I have a feeling people are going to end up having several of these to shoot 5.2K RAW for their projects. Obviously shooting at a lower resolution will get you more recording time - or shooting in ProRes - but it will not change the transfer time once you fill it up.

If I can help with anything else, just let me know...hoping to have them very soon (and extra batteries too!)

Reactions: Hellohogo
Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking. I'm probably going to order 2 480gb drives to start. When someone hires me for raw they can pay for a couple more drives ;)

What case are you referring to?
The Inspire 2 - CINESSD looks like a proprietary case but it appears they might be using the new 6.0gb/sec M.2 SSD Drives inside them. The M.2 is not nearly as expensive as the CineSSD's are. There has to be a mod or something we could do to get past this or make our own.

large_6afb1260-b629-456b-9ea2-0781ba18e34a.png
20-167-377-01.jpg

The Inspire 2 - CINESSD looks like a proprietary case but it appears they might be using the new 6.0gb/sec M.2 SSD Drives inside them. The M.2 is not nearly as expensive as the CineSSD's are. There has to be a mod or something we could do to get past this or make our own.

large_6afb1260-b629-456b-9ea2-0781ba18e34a.png
20-167-377-01.jpg

Hey, good luck with that. :rolleyes:

DJI reps have clearly stated that these SSDs are encrypted and are not replaceable with aftermarket SSDs.

Reactions: marctronixx
it was also stated that apple phones are not hackable... it is only a matter of time and some brains...
a 15year old hacked the DVD codec in the late 90's which also was said impossible...
we just need a wonder kid or someone knowing what and how to do :)
i wish i'd be someone like this :)

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Reactions: Skyward Imaging
lol all we need is someone to either send me one and I will rip into it or for them to rip into it. No biggie. lol But the truth is there is a way around everything.

as soon as i get my hands on an I2 and the stuff i get to it i'll send you one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me thinks it'll be the same as a m2 ssd but the connections on the board are going to be different so an adapter looks like a way to go and anything can be copied the Chinese know that as there market leaders in the subject lol

Reactions: Skyward Imaging
I wouldn't be so sure there'll be a way to hack a standard SSD into the I2. There's never been a way to use standard SSDs in the X5R.

I wouldn't be so sure there'll be a way to hack a standard SSD into the I2. There's never been a way to use standard SSDs in the X5R.
The "Standard" ssd is not what we were referring to. The issue with standard ssd's is the read and write speeds. The ones being used are new to the market but still readily available. Those are M.2 80mm SSD's and have awesome read and write speeds. Remember where there's a will there's a way. I am betting there will be aftermarket drives coming soon. ;)

The "Standard" ssd is not what we were referring to. The issue with standard ssd's is the read and write speeds. The ones being used are new to the market but still readily available. Those are M.2 80mm SSD's and have awesome read and write speeds. Remember where there's a will there's a way. I am betting there will be aftermarket drives coming soon. ;)

"Standard" meaning off-the-shelf SSDs (whatever the correct form factor is) as opposed to DJI's proprietary version.

If they stick with what they did with the X5R SSDs, they'll be Samsung drives with hardware encryption turned on. Good luck with that.

Like I said, there's probably a reason no one ever produced a third-party alternative to the X5R SSD.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shefy