Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Commercial 107 vs Recreational

Reaction score
Website
www.davekotinsky.com
Question:
If your 4 miles from Class D airport for recreational use you would have to contact to and make them aware of your flight?

If your 4 miles from Class D airport for commercial use you would have to apply for the FAA waiver?

Thanks in advance for answers.
Dave

I believe this is correct. When I call my local control tower to tell them ill be flying inside the 5nm they don't really care. They do repeatedly ask if this is a recreational flight or a commercial flight. After reassuring them it's for recreation they seem to not care and just ask where I'll be to make sure I'm not on final approach. Their real concern is if it's a commercial flight. If so, I would need a waiver. Nuts right?

Last edited:
I believe this is correct. When I call my local control tower to tell them ill be flying inside the 5nm they don't really care. They do repeatedly ask if this is a recreational flight or a commercial flight. After reassuring them it's for recreation they seem to not care and just ask where I'll be to make sure I'm not on final approach. Their real concern is if it's a commercial flight. If so, I would need a waiver. Nuts right?

It's funny - my local ATC generally doesn't make any differentiation between recreational & commercial flights, but it depends on the controller that I talk to.

As an aside, part of my COA is to call ATC three times for each flight...wasn't this exactly what the FAA was trying to prevent by having the online portal?

It's funny - my local ATC generally doesn't make any differentiation between recreational & commercial flights, but it depends on the controller that I talk to.

As an aside, part of my COA is to call ATC three times for each flight...wasn't this exactly what the FAA was trying to prevent by having the online portal?

"As an aside, part of my COA is to call ATC three times for each flight..." Whoa, that's odd. What class airspace? All my COAs have been for class D, no phone calls required.

"As an aside, part of my COA is to call ATC three times for each flight..." Whoa, that's odd. What class airspace? All my COAs have been for class D, no phone calls required.

KCYS Delta airspace...

32046330684_e3f172cc1a_b.jpg

Reactions: dec
Interesting. This is one for KSDL, Scottsdale, AZ. Guess it hinges on traffic volume..

2. SCHEDULE OF FLIGHT OPERATIONS:
a. This Certificate of Waiver or Authorization and the Special Provisions shall be in effect between civil sunrise and civil sunset local time.
b. This airspace authorization does not relieve the remote pilots from the responsibility to check the airspace they are operating in and comply with all restrictions that may be present in accordance with see 14 CFR 107.45 and 107.49 (a)(2), such as restricted and Prohibited Airspace, Temporary Flight Restrictions, etc.
3. EMERGENCY/CONTINGENCY PROCEDURES - Lost Link

not trying to split hairs (too much of that going on the various forums its seems), but please keep in mind, Class D to a hobbyist doesn't apply . . . simply the fact of 5 miles of an airport according to the guidance. "5 miles from airports without prior notification to airport and air traffic control" . . . the other part of the original post to keep in mind, Class D size varies, so for those inclined to check, make sure you verify the size for the airport in question.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brainfraktured