Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compass error

Reaction score
Can anyone help? After takeoff keep getting compass error on my Inspire 1 changes from P-GPS to P-ATTI Mode back and forth contently no matter what height I am at until I land. On aircraft state compass error during flight. “The aircraft has switch its flight from P-GPS to P-ATTI” Did all calibration and everything looks good, have about 13 to 15 Satellite showing. Never had this problem before. I have the Phantom 3 pro and fly in same area with no problem, so not sure what is going on with the Inspire 1. I have the latest version IOS 2.2.0 Aircraft 1.4.00.10 RC 1.3.00 Compass is x -189.00 y-705.00 z- 1406.00 Mod-1551.89

what sort of surface are you taking off from? sometimes does it when i launch from the back of my truck, other times not. ive seen this problem intermittently in the past for no apparent reason, on different firmware. possible solar magnetic interference some people talk about? i fly almost every day and when it does happen it just flashes for a few seconds and goes to atti mode then back to gps, you gotta be careful you arent too close to anything as it will drift when this happens. proficiency in atti mode is a plus. dont have new fimware, so maybe its a new bug in your case if it happens every time, hopefully others will weigh in.

According to UAV Weather Forecast for Las Vegas you had a high KP factor (6) today which is not good for flying..

I read somewhere, here or phantompilots that KP index has no effect. Is this a controversial topic or is there a conclusion?

Also I thought that KP-index is only supposed to affect GPS reception. Does it affect compass as well?

Over the labor day weekend I was shooting from a boat and found out the hard way that I could not calibrate the compass while on the boat. I flew it anyway and luckily did not have any accident.

Thanks for your reply I am taking off from concrete driveway and asphalt street, what I don't understand is why is the Phantom 3 is having no problems? I know they are different birds but I would think if it was interference of some sort it would happen the Phantom 3, very frustrating getting worried about fly away.

Kp as no effect on compass. It can affect GPS, just debatable if it affects GPS in Inspires or Phantoms. I'm of the persuasion it does not. I have flown both P2 and Inspire several times in a Kp 8. Others may have different experiences. It's kind of a hot topic for some.

It is said/claimed that it affects anything electromagnetic, so compass would be part of it just as much as any wireless communication like GPS or the actual RC link.

Now whether it actually does affect things in practice or not - there is pretty much nothing consistent that can back either opinion... which means that we tend to err on the safe side, expect it does, and avoid flying in high Kps.

Kp as no effect on compass. It can affect GPS, just debatable if it affects GPS in Inspires or Phantoms. I'm of the persuasion it does not. I have flown both P2 and Inspire several times in a Kp 8. Others may have different experiences. It's kind of a hot topic for some.

Sorry but you are wrong, kp affects are geomagnetic and affects compass, not gps.

Some might think it affects gps since the gps controlled flight relies on compass reading and if the compass reading is incorrect it will cause erratic flight in gps mode, but in reality it doesn't affect gps signal at all.

EDIT: Actually i was partially incorrect, after further reading about it to better explain it i found it can disrupt any signal which passes through the ionosphere which does mean it can cause GPS signal to drop, sorry for this misinformation folks. I hate it when im that guy, :(

Last edited:
The bottom line in this instance, his compass is all jacked up. Say what you want, but I do consider the KP levels. I say do the calibration again, in a grassy area and no where near parked cars or power towers. Take nothing for granted. Good Luck!!

Thanks for everyone for your help will try in different location, but like I said why no problem with my P3 pro in this location working fine and had Inspire 1 for almost a year and flying in same location with no problem. Nothing has change no new cell tower in area or anything else that would cause interference.

Last edited:
Just took to new location same problem. One thing I did notice if the Inspire tail end if facing me there is not a problem I move left or right or have front facing me I get compass error now I am confused more. I also have Flytrex installed could that be a problem?

Just took to new location same problem. One thing I did notice if the Inspire tail end if facing me there is not a problem I move left or right or have front facing me I get compass error now I am confused more. I also have Flytrex installed could that be a problem?

If it is not too difficult try to remove flytrex and see if that makes a difference?

I actually didn't know what flytrex was and had to look it up. What do you use it for? Sending text messages to the drone? How is it hooked up to Inspire?

Confirmed Flytrex is the problem causing interference, removed and now everything is working ok. Dame just ordered one for my P3 Pro. Time to contact Flytrex, so anyone installing Flytrex use caution.

FYI ive edited my previous post to correct misinformation. it is possible for a high K index to affect gps signals as well.

Confirmed Flytrex is the problem causing interference, removed and now everything is working ok. Dame just ordered one for my P3 Pro. Time to contact Flytrex, so anyone installing Flytrex use caution.
where abouts did you have it attached to your inspire? perhaps its was just too close to the compass which affected its readings and i might work in a different location?

Glad you figured it out. I saw that Flytrex Live 3G has quite a few features, which one(s) are you using yours for?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oharac