Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Controlled Flight Areas

I see you're so knowledgeable the waiver process is at least 60 to 90 days currently have several pending since January. So I know about waivers.

Reactions: chainsaw12
I see you like to assume, I actually have a lawyer and he drafted them good try though. It's clients who hate to wait and that does make your bottom line suffer if you know about finance. You automatically assume I'm unprofessional and other things but you have been the more unprofessional one in this thread lol. Seeing you know nothing of me but assume again and I'm pretty sure you don't want to but you know what, I have no hard feelings towards you good day to you. No need to continue.

Reactions: Shane Petees
I think you need to go read the regulations a bit better.

We sit inside Class D airspace. According to my CoA, I am supposed to be available via cell phone while in flight. Per our letter of agreement with the local airport, we are supposed to call the tower 15 minutes prior to takeoff and after the flight is concluded. Of course this goes against everything in the training course I went through and I remember that the FAA test contradicted this as well.

That being said, I think that everything varies depending upon how busy the local airports are, what airspace they occupy, and the tower crew and airport managers. What one person is required to do is not necessarily how the rest of the country functions.

We sit inside Class D airspace. According to my CoA, I am supposed to be available via cell phone while in flight. Per our letter of agreement with the local airport, we are supposed to call the tower 15 minutes prior to takeoff and after the flight is concluded. Of course this goes against everything in the training course I went through and I remember that the FAA test contradicted this as well.

That being said, I think that everything varies depending upon how busy the local airports are, what airspace they occupy, and the tower crew and airport managers. What one person is required to do is not necessarily how the rest of the country functions.
That's also a decision made by the FAA in your particular case. As you said, most people are supposed to use the portal, and if you're smart, you can get a waiver to fly anytime with no notice, although I hear filing a NOTAM is a wise endeavor.

I'm in Canada so different rules. We call the ATC or ATS that controls the airspace being flown. "There can be only one". Almost always a NOTAM is issued.

USA Only... Under Part 107 for commercial drone operators, within 5 mile radius of an airport is irrelevant; however that is relevant for hobby and recreational, detailed here: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions. What matters under Part 107 is if you are actually in restricted airspace or not. If you need to fly within restricted airspace under Part 107, you do not contact ATC. HQ FAA has instructed all ATCs not to directly authorize any requests to fly in their airspace. If an ATC would entertain your request and authorize directly, they are not following the instruction formally handed down by HQ FAA. I have seen the memo/order they received providing this instruction. You must apply for the waiver/airspace authorization here: Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS).

Reactions: Lagdancer420
I'm studying for the 107 exam and initially thought some of the info required to know was over the top. However, I no longer feel that way. Becoming more familiar with the rules and regs makes complete sense even if it's a bit onerous at times.
I can understand the caution the FAA is trying to instill on drone flyers (just read the Mavic Pro blog).
Calling a ATC is just a precaution. I try to fly in airspace that is outside of the 5 mile restriction. Also away from B,C,and D airports.
It's just common sense that you could run into issues with the airport if you are too close,,make the call.

I'm studying for the 107 exam and initially thought some of the info required to know was over the top. However, I no longer feel that way. Becoming more familiar with the rules and regs makes complete sense even if it's a bit onerous at times.
I can understand the caution the FAA is trying to instill on drone flyers (just read the Mavic Pro blog).
Calling a ATC is just a precaution. I try to fly in airspace that is outside of the 5 mile restriction. Also away from B,C,and D airports.
It's just common sense that you could run into issues with the airport if you are too close,,make the call.
Did you not read any of this thread?

Under no circumstances unless ordered to by your authorization, are you to contact the towers directly.

You are to file your request through the online portal only. Wait your 90 days, and if you were smart, you got a blanket waivers instead of individual COA'S.

Another issue to keep in mind. Something I haven't seen anyone mention, is that as of January 23, no Part 107 waivers are being approved until further notice. Trump's executive order halting proceedings on drone delivery also froze the current drone part 107 approval process:

Trump's freeze on new regulation means that we won't get drone delivery anytime soon

I have 2 waivers pending to fly in Class B Airspace, who knows when the approval system will be back up and running. From what I understand, as of Jan 23rd, NO ONE can fly in restricted airspace. Period.

If anyone knows a way around this, I'm all ears.

Plenty have gotten approval, the online list hasn't changed. Stop with the trump hate, he considers this an important industry.

Plenty have gotten approval, the online list hasn't changed. Stop with the trump hate, he considers this an important industry.

Relax, It's not Trump hate, it's called citing a news article. In the article it states that as of now, "everything is on hold" while new regulations are underway.

It is a valid point since folks here, myself included, are needing waivers. From what I've gathered, The waiver system does not send email confirmations when approvals are granted, so they must take it upon themselves to check the list approvals - that has not been updated since the Executive Order.

Another issue to keep in mind. Something I haven't seen anyone mention, is that as of January 23, no Part 107 waivers are being approved until further notice. Trump's executive order halting proceedings on drone delivery also froze the current drone part 107 approval process:

Trump's freeze on new regulation means that we won't get drone delivery anytime soon

I have 2 waivers pending to fly in Class B Airspace, who knows when the approval system will be back up and running. From what I understand, as of Jan 23rd, NO ONE can fly in restricted airspace. Period.

If anyone knows a way around this, I'm all ears.
I had a COA approved and flew in Class D restricted airspace a week ago... so not true. Also, I don't interpret that article as all Part 107 certifications are on hold. I did not read that anywhere in that article. I have not heard anywhere that they have put a stop on this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tycet