Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Correct me if i'm wrong - it's not possible to write to the SSD without a microSD on board?

Reaction score
Today I committed the ultimate sin and forgot to bring my microSD cards on a shoot. I had everything else with me. I wondered could I fly and write the footage to the SSD only but it seems that this isn't an option. I was offered by the Go 4 App to record to my device (iPad) but this method seems to only write the footage via Lightbridge to your iPad but doesn't write anything to the SSD.

So, my question is, can you not write to the SSD only? Will forgetting microSD cards also ruin your chance of shooting the SSD?

I'd love to be wrong.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a technical reason for this or some other reason that this would be the preferred way of working?

Reactions: Advexure
Thanks for the reply. Is there a technical reason for this or some other reason that this would be the preferred way of working?

I believe it is a technical reason and my best explanation would be that it's comparable to a series circuit where the Micro SD completes the circuit for full writing capability to both the Micro SD and the SSD simultaneously. No better reasoning that we are aware of. Maybe someone else has some further insight on the technicality behind this methodology.

This has been kind of a headache for me on a couple shoots. I have a few 128GB MicroSD cards, but they don't seem to be supported in I2, frustrating to have to change the old smaller MicroSDs out in order to keep the ProRes rolling when I never use the H.264. Does anyone know the max MicroSD card the I2 does support?

EDIT: Re-tested today after replies here and found that, for whatever reason, the Samsung Pro+ 128GB MicroSD cards do work, both on I2 and Mavic. Not sure why they didn't before – though that was several firmware updates ago. Oh well, headache solved!

Last edited:
If you don't use the microSD h.264 footage, then why not simply set it to 1080p? you should get several hours on a single card for that using a 64 gig card. From the x5s specs, H.264 1080p 23/24/25/30 fps gives 60Mbps, or H.265 1080p will drop to 50Mbps instead of the 100Mbps for the higher res's, so should give you a fair bit extra recording time.

I'd think that that should easily outlast the 480GB SSD. When the SSD needs changing, then pull the micros too and delete or reformat it. If you're using a couple of SSD's then use a couple of micros's and swap them along with the SSDs to keep everything running.

As to the 128gb cards, are they the ones with a double row of contacts on them - if so, then no they're not supported. If you can find a MicroSD with the standard microSD contacts, then it might be able to use that. TBH, I've not heard of anyone using a 128gb tho', just multiple 64's.

This has been kind of a headache for me on a couple shoots. I have a few 128GB MicroSD cards, but they don't seem to be supported in I2, frustrating to have to change the old smaller MicroSDs out in order to keep the ProRes rolling when I never use the H.264. Does anyone know the max MicroSD card the I2 does support?

I use these with good success. I have a couple of the Pro versions also, but these are more than half the price with the same speeds. The pro versions have the benefits of waterproof, protection against electro magnetism, etc.
Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM) Amazon.com: Samsung 128GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSD EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128GA/AM): Computers & Accessories

Reactions: Advexure
If you don't use the microSD h.264 footage, then why not simply set it to 1080p? you should get several hours on a single card for that using a 64 gig card. From the x5s specs, H.264 1080p 23/24/25/30 fps gives 60Mbps, or H.265 1080p will drop to 50Mbps instead of the 100Mbps for the higher res's, so should give you a fair bit extra recording time.

I'd think that that should easily outlast the 480GB SSD. When the SSD needs changing, then pull the micros too and delete or reformat it. If you're using a couple of SSD's then use a couple of micros's and swap them along with the SSDs to keep everything running.

As to the 128gb cards, are they the ones with a double row of contacts on them - if so, then no they're not supported. If you can find a MicroSD with the standard microSD contacts, then it might be able to use that. TBH, I've not heard of anyone using a 128gb tho', just multiple 64's.
Good thoughts! I'll have to play with lowering the h.264 settings. The 128GB MicroSDs have a normal connection as far as I can tell. They work well in the GoPro and Blackmagic Video Assist (only other devices I have with MicroSD).. Crystal Sky lists them as compatible. Maybe a Future I2 firmware :)

A related issue that's been a little goofy for me is the caching on my iPad. It's a lowly 16GB iPad mini and is constantly filling up. The cache is cool to have, both for a catastrophic backup of content, but also for the sometimes-interesting-to-have audio recording. I like that once the iPad fills up, Go 4 gives a warning, but it doesn't stop recording to the SSD or MicroSD..

Perhaps that behavior would be more appropriate for the SSD vs MicroSD recording as well (on-screen warning, and one or the other codec doesn't record, but the other records its settings as if the other was also recording normally.

It's one feature of the Crystal Sky I'm really looking forward to, MicroSD slots for proper data capture and workflow.

Reactions: cvanhoose

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aayushijain873